Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• Question 1: Is this to carry out changes necessitated by the disgraceful behaviour of the fans at the Burnley game?

Question 2: Are such 'better seats' available?
  • edited March 2018
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/west-ham-to-erect-security-barrier-to-prevent-further-crowd-trouble-36749488.html

Don't worry, I looked it up myself.

1. Yes (if it goes ahead). It is for the safety of the people sitting in the Directors' Box.

2. Not addressed.

To sum up the relevant facts out of the newspaper report:

-It's not confirmed yet.

-If it does go ahead, it will be a temporary measure.

-It will affect 3 wheelchair users.

To go back to my earlier Q2, does anyone know what options there are for these 3 wheelchair users to be relocated (in terms of spaces available)?

And having established what's available, does anyone know if any of these are 'better' than the current allocation (by whatever subjective measure you would like to apply)?

Just asking, before I form an opinion on whether or not the way they have been treated is reasonable under the circs ;ok
  • http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132316

And I believe one of the affected was on talkSPITE earlier today

I’d expect the club to offer similar or better seats due to the inconvenience, doesn’t sound like this “customer” is having it though, possibly another one lost to our fan base

Still no worries, 50k on the “list” ;whistle
  • http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132316

And I believe one of the affected was on talkSPITE earlier today

I’d expect the club to offer similar or better seats due to the inconvenience, doesn’t sound like this “customer” is having it though, possibly another one lost to our fan base

Still no worries, 50k on the “list” ;whistle

I think the comment on that KUMB thread is quite true, in that it's just as easy to say "“disabled fans moved due to unruly fans”.

• Someone who wasn't even present when the events took place is being disadvantaged because of the actions of others. Regardless of who is to blame that is grossly unfair and it sounds as if the situation is not being handled particularly well (not a surprise)
  • edited March 2018
    moojor,

It wouldn't have the desired effect though.

Just as it wouldn't if they called them 'fans' rather than 'disabled fans'. Can't see how whether they are able-bodied or disabled is relevant, tbh. Unless those who are outraged think it would be less disgraceful if the fans being moved were not disabled.
  • Almost 2 years of known problems, lack of segregation, no known family area, people standing in front of fans who want to sit, best migration ever by all accounts....

The owners have one game where a group of what 100-200 get on a platform, which ironically is only there because of the stadium design, and all of a sudden we’ve got people moved and barriers being built within days, amazing what they can do when they put their mind to it.

Perhaps they should’ve invited the disabled fans up to the directors area for the last 5 games? Just imagine how that would’ve gone down, probably with a unanimous ;clap but no, that’s not their style is it, get someone to call them up, tell em their moving with a “we don’t care” attitude.....

• Perhaps they should’ve invited the disabled fans up to the directors area for the last 5 games?

Is it wheelchair accessible? (Genuine question.)
  • edited March 2018
    Slaven, the directors exits would be too narrow for wheelchairs and probably will not have ramp access.. The next headline "West Ham endanger own fans"....

But I certainly feel the rest of your post.. ;ok
  • I would be surprised if the Directors Box ISN'T wheelchair accessible, as the stadium was built after 1999 it would have to be compliant with the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the specific legislation).

I'm sure that somewhere out there in the wide world of football there's a director with mobility problems
  • It's the Equality Act 20101, now.

And the Directors Box doesn't HAVE to be wheelchair accessible.

• That Act is a long long way away Mrs G
  • ;lol ;doh
  • I meant to type 2010, as you probably realised.

Having done a bit more research, it transpires there are 12 wheelchair-accessible spots in the Club London area.

So I think it might be a good idea that unless some fans have already paid for these they be allocated to the 3 (possibly) moved fans.

If they want it.
  • Positive news, a fan asked to move because of the barriers has been upgraded and has praised the club on their customer service, that’s what we want to hear/read ;clap
  • I see Moyes has said that he believes some players may be reluctant to join because of the fans behaviour.
  • @thorn - that's a good point to be honest.
    Do I want to be abused all the time? Hell no
  • I see Moyes has said that he believes some players may be reluctant to join because of the fans behaviour.

Which, imo, is all down to the board. The excesses of a few (those on the pitch and those throwing coins) doesn't disguise the fact that the reaction is down to the behaviour of G&S. However they spin it, it's down to them.
  • Totally disagree.
  • I think more players would be put of by the Board as opposed to the fans but can't you lay all the Burnley match issues at the feet of the Board.
  • So, how many players didn’t join us after the Millwall riots which weren’t even on the same planet as the other week?

Absolute tosh he’s spoken there SMH
  • I don't think a player will be put off by the owners, after all it is they who pay the wages. If the owners offer them enough then they will come. It just won't benefit the club (as seen before the Daves took over).

I completely disagree with you, @buffybegood. There is a path to take if you want change but violence, abuse and lawbreaking isn't one of them. Fact is, they own the club and if you aren't happy with it then unlawful activity is not the way to go.
  • I don't think a player will be put off by the owners, after all it is they who pay the wages.

I don't know, a history of slagging them off on social media or in newspaper columns
    would put some off, I'd have thought.
  • I’m pretty sure that Jonjo Shelley or Charlie Austin would think twice about signing for us, Snodgrass may not want to come back

Now, remind me, whose fault would that be?

;hmm
  • edited March 2018
    I’m so very much enjoying this blame game.

The whole idea of solutions sickens me.

:(
  • I’m pretty sure that Jonjo Shelley or Charlie Austin would think twice about signing for us, Snodgrass may not want to come back

;hmm

That would be DS's fault.

But it's not a zero sum issue.

• I completely disagree with you, @buffybegood. There is a path to take if you want change but violence, abuse and lawbreaking isn't one of them. Fact is, they own the club and if you aren't happy with it then unlawful activity is not the way to go.

I specifically excluded those on the pitch and those throwing coins, so I'm not condoning unlawful activity, but fans are completely entitled to voice their unhappiness with the board imo. What is the way to go if we're not happy?
  • Do it at the end of the season not when the team needs our full support. Delay buying the next season ticket. protest after the match if you must but dont pretend all or most fans are of the same mind.
  • edited March 2018
    Barney said:

Do it at the end of the season not when the team needs our full support. Delay buying the next season ticket. protest after the match if you must but dont pretend all or most fans are of the same mind.

Do you think most fans are genuinely happy with the board then? I'd be very, very surprised if they are.

Also, there is a very clear distinction between not supporting the team and not supporting the board. You can do one without the other. A protest against the board is not a lack of support for the team.
  • MrsGrey said:

I’m pretty sure that Jonjo Shelley or Charlie Austin would think twice about signing for us, Snodgrass may not want to come back

;hmm

That would be DS's fault.

But it's not a zero sum issue.
    It would also be Brady’s fault, no? I could be wrong but didn’t she comment about Snodgrass?

It’s almost across the board, bless DG though not sure he’s bad mouthed a player?