Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• Moojor,

We were warned by the Birmingham City fans what to expect & with serious regret I haven't found what they said to be wrong. The 2015/16 season was a freak just look who won the title! We just had an inspired season with you know who being the talisman, he could see the writing on the wall and left somewhat acrimoniously but looking at what has happened since less people can blame him.
  • I think you'll find most of the issues started the year after we finished 7th. ;hmm
    That'll be the season after we left Upton Park.
  • IronHerb said:

I think you'll find most of the issues started the year after we finished 7th. ;hmm
    That'll be the season after we left Upton Park.

Indeed. If we'd properly invested that window we could have pushed on. Instead we threw the Europa, Payet left and the rest is history...
  • Now Sun News is saying that they have been told that the March on 10th March is a protest against the club being racist!
    Talk about jumping on the bandwagon!
    One of the reasons they are marching is because the board moved us out of our home (which was crumbling) to the new stadium in Stratford.
    The Real fans state that by moving and changing the badge( after a poll), we are losing our LOCAL heritage depicted by the Boleyn Castle, which in fact never existed! It was an idea dreamed up in 1964!
    Bobby Geoff and Martin just had crossed hammers on their badges till then!
    There was a manor house with small turrets given to Ann Boleyn by Henry V111 on the corner of Green Street.

• The London Stadium is in Stratford, formerly part of The London Borough of West Ham, now Newham.
    Couldn't be more LOCAL!
  • All I want is Lanzini and Arnautovic back for an extended run. Don’t really care about anything else anymore.
  • The Boleyn connection comes from a claim by Richard Breame that Henry had courted Anne at his house and Breame did rent a house to the King, supposedly for Anne's brother George, from 1529 until 1531 but that was in Greenwich.

Breame only bought the manor of East Ham in 1544, eight years after Anne was beheaded. He built Green Street House aka Boleyn Castle sometime after that and it was demolished in 1955

The first time the crossed hammers and castle were combined on the crest was on the cover of the 1958/59 West Ham Players Promotion Souvenir Handbook
  • So hands up who’s going on the march then cos I am I have had enough. It probably won’t change a thing but they need to know how the fans feel about them and the situation.
  • So hands up who’s going on the march then cos I am I have had enough. It probably won’t change a thing but they need to know how the fans feel about them and the situation.

What are you actually marching about? What is the outcome the march wishes to achieve?
  • Moojor,

The cost of season tickets & in time hopefully world domination.

;biggrin

I expect it's so "some" of the fans can express their dissatisfaction at the last few years since we moved stadium and all that was said prior to it happening and no signs of that actually becoming reality? ;ok
  • The real West Ham fan group will tell you all you need to know sounds like there will be between 5 to 10k marching all the social media West Ham groups are joining kumb ect. People have had enough and quite rightly so ;ok
  • edited February 2018
    Apparently the £20k crowd funding target has almost been achieved.
    What is striking is the number of people who've donated, loads have chipped in a tenner just to do theyre bit for the club. Makes you proud to be a hammer ;ok
  • Big Sam must be laughing as his West Ham fans are deluded comment is being proven. Nobody in their right mind would have taken the aspirational comments of champions league in 7 years as an actual promise.
    There are lots of clubs who were premier league who would gladly swap places with us.
    As for banners saying 'sack the board' who exactly do they think would be able to do that. The directors could be sacked I suppose by the owners and a new board appointed but wouldn't that leave the owners still in place.
    If the owners were to walk away and take the money owed to them the club would fold and go into administration. Most likelihood it would be years before we got back into the PL if we in fact we're still in existence.
    By all means protest at some of the things that happen such as the Henry affair but not the fact we are not buying players like City or Chelsea etc or not regularly in the top four.
  • Don't know what the expectation is, even if you successfully hound out the owners the Boleyn is long gone.
  • What makes them the ‘real’ West Ham fans I wonder.

They want Gold, Sullivan and Brady out? But who replaces them? Have they crowd funded enough to buy the club?

• They want Gold, Sullivan and Brady out? But who replaces them? Have they crowd funded enough to buy the club?

Erm....someone else.

• If the owners were to walk away and take the money owed to them the club would fold and go into administration.

Are you really still buying into that nonsense? Really?
    So who have the "real West Ham fans" lined up to buy the club?

What makes you a real west ham fan?

• They want Gold, Sullivan and Brady out? But who replaces them? Have they crowd funded enough to buy the club?

Erm....someone else.

It’s reassuring to know that there is a plan. I like a plan.
  • I'm slightly baffled by those who believe 'they are only in it for the money' yet at the same time think that by publicly putting pressure on the owners, Sullivan and Gold are going to go because... they don't want the embarrassment/hassle/whatever.

If the fans are correct in their belief, presumably the owners, sitting in their comfy seats looking at all the season ticket holders holding up bits of paper, are thinking ha ha ha you mugs. ;puzzled

I have never once claimed to be.

Erm....someone else.

It’s reassuring to know that there is a plan. I like a plan.
    The cunninger, the better. ;thumbsup
  • Oh for sure ;biggrin
  • MrsGrey said:

If the fans are correct in their belief, presumably the owners, sitting in their comfy seats looking at all the season ticket holders holding up bits of paper, are thinking ha ha ha you mugs. ;puzzled

Ironically they've probably been doing that from day 1

It’s probably something to do with supporting the club and not claiming to be the only “real” type of fan. That’s the problem with the “real” fan group, it assumes that people who disagree are not “real”.
  • Do they claim to be the "only" real west ham group..if so that's a bit silly isn't it?
  • Aren't real West Ham fans the those who support them through thick and lean. I've supported for about 65 years now and believe me there's been many many many more lean times than there's been thick.
    I moan when we play like we did yesterday and get outplayed by teams we shouldn't really but come the next game I'm ready. I go into the game hoping for a win but at the same time expecting nothing. If we play our best or near our best but are beaten by the better team on the day then that's the nature of football.
    I'd also like us to buy the best players but the best in true terms are out of our range but if we can buy the best available to us then I'm happy. I don't go into meltdown because we haven't signed this player or that player we've been linked with if I've never really seen them play and can't really make a judgement one way or the other.
    There's been many a post on here slagging off players such as Ayew et al saying they're useless and a waste of money but then when they get sold to a rival team it's suddenly ridiculous.
    Posters were slagging off Hughill from the moment he arrived and most of us had never seen him play. Give him a chance.
  • Anyone who uses the term 'real' in their title is, it seems to me, defining themselves as different from others, who, by definition, are not 'real', or not 'as real'.

I wouldn't march if I were in the UK, and I don't believe I agree with or support many of the aims or beliefs of those who would march, and I would strongly object to being told, or having it implied, that as a result I was not a 'real' fan.

• I understand to a certain extent why they are angry and as a woman who spent a lot of her time demonstrating against a Thatcher government I can’t/won’t condemn the demonstration. I’m just concerned about what the end game is. We can’t go back to Upton Park and the owners/board can’t just leave...

• I’m not a fan of the board one bit but agree with your post thorn