Bournemouth (A) - Saturday 11th March 3pm

Comments

• Sorry, Twist, if we need a CM and winger we need a new manager. He's had his go at getting those.

With low funds though? Hardly spent anything

Twist

Low funds?

Not much short of £70m this season and some £45m the season before.

Seems like a lot to me.

£70m? On who?

Even if those figures are true that isn't much these days..
  • Reid and Fonte very poor defensively for their first goal.... a case of after you Claud if ever I saw.

Then Fonte gifts them a second pen.
  • King was on his own when he got their second but there was a blatant hand ball by them in the leed up to the goal.

We did not defend as a unit all game and that really does need to be addressed.
  • Great goal by Ayew, good work from Obiang and Byrom.
  • Their winning goal was very good but once again we lost the plot defensively.

I can see what Bilic is saying - there were some good things to take from that game.

Oh and can John Motson please retire, he did our game on MOTD and he was awful ;doh

I hope Bournemouth survive.
  • edited March 2017
    Twist

http://www.transfermarkt.gr/west-ham/transfers/verein/379/saison_id/2016

Sorry, £70m + £45m isn't much?

Who for?

Even accounting for the sale of Payet and Tonka, that's around net £80m on players.

If you are saying that £80m isn't enough to get us playing and doing better than the last manager's side, I don't get it.

I'm not saying we should shift Slav - quite the opposite.

But to lay the blame at the board for being cheap isn't, to me, a reasonable claim.

And to suggest that following that investment we are still nowhere near being better than we were isn't good enough, imo.
  • basically they spent their money on duds. Apparently we are the 7th richest club in the league now ? we overtook Everton and Newcastle recently. Yet we have a squad that struggles to get top 10.
  • Have you got a source for that '7th richest' stat, please?
  • edited March 2017
    G, well we have been better than the last manager did. 7th last year, 4 points off 4th. This season we've moved into the bowl and haven't got the players that suit it.
    Look at other clubs, they have improved too, spent vasts amount of money. Palace spending the likes of 30m on Benteke. (Them another 50 odd million in Jan) The game has changed. Even the smaller clubs are spending ridiculous sums.

(We made an 8m profit in January)

Hence my comment we need to spend a lot in the summer and actually back the manager with funds
  • I wonder what Pochettino could do with this squad ;hmm
  • Whatever the end of this season brings I'm confident we'll see the Hammers at Wembley next season.

Is that in the Checkatrade Trophy?
  • No .... when we play Spurs.
  • Thanks ;ok

That's turnover, though.

From that analysis further down The club managed to record an operating profit of £31.5m excluding player trading but this was reduced to a more modest profit of £1.2m before taxation.
  • edited March 2017

Twist

http://www.transfermarkt.gr/west-ham/transfers/verein/379/saison_id/2016

Sorry, £70m + £45m isn't much?

Who for?

Even accounting for the sale of Payet and Tonka, that's around net £80m on players.

If you are saying that £80m isn't enough to get us playing and doing better than the last manager's side, I don't get it.

I'm not saying we should shift Slav - quite the opposite.

But to lay the blame at the board for being cheap isn't, to me, a reasonable claim.

And to suggest that following that investment we are still nowhere near being better than we were isn't good enough, imo.

What's the +45m for?

We spent about £70m on both summer and jan buys, no? So net spend would be more like £35m.
  • G, well we have been better than the last manager did. 7th last year, 4 points off 4th. This season we've moved into the bowl and haven't got the players that suit it.
    Look at other clubs, they have improved too, spent vasts amount of money. Palace spending the likes of 30m on Benteke. (Them another 50 odd million in Jan) The game has changed. Even the smaller clubs are spending ridiculous sums.

(We made an 8m profit in January)

Hence my comment we need to spend a lot in the summer and actually back the manager with funds

The whole 7th last year really means nothing. You had the top clubs playing so far below their norm that it was a joke.

The top 6 this year are the normal top 6 and will probably be the top 6 for the next 10 years or so unless there is another freak season.

7th is pretty much "winning" the part of the league that we can hope to be in. Though we have the likes of Everton, Southampton, West Brom all really going for that spot. Which means that unless we have an exceptional season, we can realistically hope to finish between 7th and 11th

That is sadly the realistic view of what would be a good season in the current football climate.

People need to understand that 7th is pretty much an exceptional season for us and that is not going to be the norm for us for a long time.
  • edited March 2017
    Which is fine.

And, in which case, why we should've stayed at the Boleyn.

The problem is that the cheap move, and money spent, don't equate.
  • Outcast

I'd referred to this season (70m and last, 45m) in an earlier post.

Twist

Well, if letting him spend £115m on players in 3 transfer windows isn't backing him with funds I don't know what is.

If you are going to blame the stadium for our performances, that doesn't really explain yesterday, does it?

It was a rank performance, against a team that pretty much any other PL side would have beaten on the day.

We were miles off our best (far from the only time this season), and the players and manager need to take the responsibility for that.
  • Outcast

I'd referred to this season (70m and last, 45m) in an earlier post.

Twist

Well, if letting him spend £115m on players in 3 transfer windows isn't backing him with funds I don't know what is.

If you are going to blame the stadium for our performances, that doesn't really explain yesterday, does it?

It was a rank performance, against a team that pretty much any other PL side would have beaten on the day.

We were miles off our best (far from the only time this season), and the players and manager need to take the responsibility for that.

115 million, G? Not sure where that figure is coming from? Does that include the £20m we set aside for Zaza? ;hmm

The stadium blame was nothing to do with yesterday, but we moved to a new stadium and the manager was 'backed' with free transfers + loans. Whereas smaller clubs were spending big on permanent transfers.
    Hence why my opinion the manager should get a bit of slack for.

It surely was a rank performance yesterday, who is saying otherwise? ;puzzled

Agree, both players + manager should take responsibility for the performance + defeat.

As does IMO the board for not backing the manager in the past 2 transfer windows (especially) 8m profit in January.

Where's the TV money and the sale of the Boleyn ground? 52,000 season ticket holders and we can't compete on a spending level with Crystal Palace?
  • Anyway apologies for going a little off topic.

Back to the game...

We were rubbish, Leicester is a big game now. Hope Slav makes some changes.

Coyi
  • edited March 2017
    Twist - look at the link yeold posted - seems to suggest we haven't had the money for Payet, yet, or at least not all of it. TV money doesn't kick in until the end of this season, Boleyn money went to pay off debt.

Zaza money was never a pot ofgold sitting unused in the bank. It was a commitment to find it if we bought him. And not all in one go, but in instalments over a couple of seasons. And not necessarily the full amount - but would include add-ons which might never have been required.
  • MrsGrey said:

Thanks ;ok

That's turnover, though.

From that analysis further down The club managed to record an operating profit of £31.5m excluding player trading but this was reduced to a more modest profit of £1.2m before taxation.
    "Profit of £1.2m before taxation . That bit made me laugh. We're not going to be paying tax for quite a while with our losses brought forward!
  • MrsGrey said:

Twist - look at the link yeold posted - seems to suggest we haven't had the money for Payet, yet, or at least not all of it. TV money doesn't kick in until the end of this season, Boleyn money went to pay off debt. Zaza money was never a pot fo gold sitting unused in the bank. It was a committment to find it if we bought him.

Mrs G ;ok

So if he he turned out like Messi, we could have 'afforded' him?

Bet they're glad he was rubbish then! ;whistle
  • edited March 2017
    If he'd turned out like Messi, I'd have raided my piggy bank and chipped in! ;wahoo
  • At the moment we can't even afford Messi's wig. ;lol
  • Twist

115 million, G? Not sure where that figure is coming from?
    Er, from what we've spent on players since Slav joined. ;hmm

• Quite nice to see AC say on the official website that the team put in a terrible performance and all had a bad day at the office. I don't really believe it was such an anomaly in the context of the season as this response suggests, but at least he didn't come out and say we played great and but for the ref we would have won.
  • I just dont think we can have a guy great in the air but doesn't do much chasing down of defenders as our number 1 striker on this big pitch.

Carroll should be an impact sub. Noble needs to be phased out in favour of someone with quicker thinking and better positioning. Feghouli and Snodgrass are good squad players but aren't going to take us up the table they are low end prem lge players. Then we need a competent right back.
  • You match up our playets to other mid table teams around us and it's scary how far we are away from some of these teams let alone top 6.
  • IMO, we look like a team that has nothing to play for, which is pretty understandable. But we do need to pick up those last few points to get to 40.

This season was always going to be tough, with raised expectations and a new stadium. Throw in the injuries we've contended with and the underwhelming performances of some of our new signings (who we were broadly excited with upon announcement) and our 'star' player throwing a strop, and it's not gone as we'd hoped.

People saying that we won't win again all year are, IMO, vastly overreacting. We are a mid table side. Mid table sides go through tricky spells, players lose form, you don't get the rub of the green, whatever. But it comes back too.

There have been a lot of individual mistakes in defence, which is hardly the managers fault, but yeah we do need to improve.

I think the winning goal showed Byram's' inexperience and highlighted why Slav hasn't trusted him fully. They break down the left in the 93rd minutes or something and he was up on the right wing. He should have been more cautious at that time.
This discussion has been closed.