Southampton (A) 04/02/17 - 15.00 k/o

Comments

• Proper bogey ground
  • Looking forward to seeing Snodderz from the off.
  • Bring us back a win twist ;ok
  • So if Byram is crocked (shock horror, who saw us losing our only RB coming?)

Adrian
    Fonte - Collins - Reid
    Antonio - Kouyate - Obiang - Cresswell
    Lanzini - Snodgrass
    Carroll
  • Bring us back a win twist ;ok

;pray
  • Proper bogey ground

But we're playing away today... ;phew
  • Hoping that for once the 'curse of' works for us.

Curse of the cup finalists often strikes teams, who go on a long losing run in the run up to the final, and Fonte to get a goal and play a stormer.
  • Not buying a RB in the window really was a stupid decision, wasn't it?
  • Maybe we couldn't get one we wanted.
  • edited February 2017
    But any right back is better then no right back. Within reason, I mean. If we have to revert to three at the back because our only right back is injured is a bit of a farce, IMO

Jenkinson was available and I'm really surprised we weren't in for him. Ok, he split opinion, but he would have done a job for us and certainly wouldn't have been any worse than Byram.
  • We can't have a second 'just in case' squad.
  • If we have got a RB you know Byram would not have been injured, it would have been a striker and you'd all want to know why we didn't buy mini judas.
  • So if Byram is crocked (shock horror, who saw us losing our only RB coming?)

Adrian
    Fonte - Collins - Reid
    Antonio - Kouyate - Obiang - Cresswell
    Lanzini - Snodgrass
    Carroll

It's same team as I posted earlier expect for keeper..
    Would actually like to see this team...
  • We can't have a second 'just in case' squad.

That is the entire point of a squad though, isn't it? ;hmm
  • edited February 2017
    The reality is that even a fit Byram is currently a Champo standard RB.

He isn't very good, at the moment.

He may be a Cresswell one day, but that day is not yet.
  • If we have got a RB you know Byram would not have been injured, it would have been a striker and you'd all want to know why we didn't buy mini judas.

No, I fully expected Byram to get injured, or suspended, or be out of form at some point in the next four months. At least up front we have cover for our starting striker, albeit with question marks over their effectiveness.

At right back we have nothing and the only back up plan could be to change our formation. That, IMO, is poor.
  • Exactly OCS.

And being forced to change to a 3 may result in being spanked by a side perfectly suited to playing against a 3/5 at the back.
  • Luke you could argue that Aaron has been championship quality for a few games recently..
  • And he has no cover either so we can't drop him
  • Gabbiadini debut to score?
  • Maybe we couldn't get one we wanted.

My feeling is that we often adopt too much of a "value for money" approach. I'm not saying we could or should spray money around left right and centre, but there are times and positions where sometimes we have to make a compromise to get players we need, whether that's paying a bit more for someone, or buying someone who'll have no resale value (Fonte being quite an exception, and maybe the penny is finally dropping).

For example, when we signed Carroll, despite the fact that he was already injured, we were then only looking for a quality striker who could also play out wide when Carroll was fit; G&S weren't prepared to pay decent money for a striker who might have to be left on the bench if Carroll was fit. So we've spent how long and how many transfer windows always saying we need to sign a striker? Instead we reach the end of each window and end up with stop gap and almost always poor quality loans that underperform and still don't resolve the issue going into the next window.

Likewise, how long have we been after a decent right back? Sometimes you have to pay through the nose or pay good money even if there is no resale value when there is a glaring hole in the squad.
  • edited February 2017
    Slav said they looked for a RB and couldn't find one available that they rated enough to sign, yet people think that is wrong, and we should have signed someone they don't rate? ;hmm
  • edited February 2017
    Well they obviously didn't look very hard!

No RB in world football who they rated lol
  • Byram's shirt is not in the dressing room so a back 3 it is
  • There's a shirt missing though as I can only see 9
  • And Winston ?
  • Or Antonio at right back?
This discussion has been closed.