The Managerial Merry-Go-Round 2018/19 - sackings etc at other clubs

Comments

• Ex England boss McClaren sacked as (fill in the blank) manager.

I th8nk the mediea boys should create a basic template
  • edited May 2019
    Chris Hughton sacked as Brighton manager.

Poor form in the second half of the season, sure, but this is Brighton we're talking about. What do they expect from a manager?
  • Chris Hughton sacked by Brighton
  • Small club, small support, nothing much in terms of money. I cant see how Hughton couldve done much more than keeping them up (again).

I wonder if someone will steal Duffy from them (I'd like him). Brighton will obviously be one of the favs to be relegated (alongside the promoted clubs) and I'll be impressed if the new manager will do any better than Hughton
  • 3 wins in 23 and he had some money spent last summer. Can see why he is gone, but equally cannot see them getting anyone better in who can elevate them beyond what Hughton has done.
  • Baz, yet they still took 7 points out of 9 against use last year and this year. :puzzled:
  • What do Brighton actually want? They avoided relegation so for me at least, job done.
  • I dont agree with the sacking but see where it comes from, shocking 2nd half season form and Anti football tactics deluxe IMO, but we all know sometimes the grass isnt greener as such, only time will tell, if they want more attractive football they will need to replace most of their squad.
  • Lump money on him getting the WBA job in a month or so.
  • 34 years outside the top tier and he takes them back, finishes a comfortable 15th and then a less comfortable 17th but also achieves an FA cup semi final this year, but this all gets you the sack. Football management just gets harsher and harsher.
  • Silly decision. Odds on for relegation next season
  • As Yeold pointed out, 3 wins in the last 23 games. Along with 6 draws, that's 15 points from 23 games. No wins from the last 9 games.

It's relegation form, and it's a rare chairman who would say 'It's my fault, I didn't give him the tools to get the job done.'
  • Brighton sack Chris Hughton for keeping them in the Premier League and getting them to an FA Cup semi final.

All we want is a cup run and to stay in the PL... Brighton having higher expectations than us it seems....
  • Vorse,

That is why it is probably safer for Pelle for us to aim higher. ;)
  • Vorse

Pretty sure any manager who had the run Houghton did would be vulnerable.

3 points from the last 9 games wouldn't suggest he had a handle on things.
  • I guess some of there signings have been a bit iffy but that doesn't mean some of them won't become good next season. Maybe he thought playing his usual crop of players would give them more of a chance of staying up which they did just. Imo they should have kept him and seen how it went at the start of next season. I think a club like Brighton could easily slip back down and struggle to make it back up again.
  • When he was sacked by Newcastle, how did that end exactly? Oh yes, Shearer worked his magic... Still, OGS may well be available by September... ;)
  • Beware the return of "The Hughes". Never been relegated!
  • :nonono:

In fact,

• Ye gods, I'd forgotten about him :weep:
  • Pauli’s leaves Middlesbrough after his contract expired.
  • Pauli Walnuts Gualtieri leaves the Sopranos or Tony Pulis leaves Middlesbrough?
  • So Brighton have gone for a newbie for the Premiership, Graham Potter, did well in Sweden and was most recently at Swansea, they finished 10th so not that great, but probably not that bad, however........ the Premiership is different proposition, if it works out they will look like heroes but to my mind there is a Seagull standing on a giant banana skin.

A couple of the teams coming up have decent premier league pedigrees so the likes of Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth and a couple of others will have to be on top of their game to avoid slipping out of the division at the next time of asking.

It may look like a brave shout by Brighton, it could easily backfire on them.

The chairman said “we are delighted to secure the services of one of the brightest young coaches” now where have we heard that before, let me think............
  • So Brighton have gone for a newbie for the Premiership, Graham Potter, did well in Sweden and was most recently at Swansea, they finished 10th so not that great, but probably not that bad, however........ the Premiership is different proposition, if it works out they will look like heroes but to my mind there is a Seagull standing on a giant banana skin.

A couple of the teams coming up have decent premier league pedigrees so the likes of Brighton, Burnley, Bournemouth and a couple of others will have to be on top of their game to avoid slipping out of the division at the next time of asking.

It may look like a brave shout by Brighton, it could easily backfire on them.

The chairman said “we are delighted to secure the services of one of the brightest young coaches” now where have we heard that before, let me think............

I like the quote from the BBC website

“Potter joined the Welsh side from Swedish side Ostersunds FK in June 2018 and guided them to a 10th-place finish”.

Is 10th place in the Championship that much of an achievement for a team coming out of the Premier League. I’m not sure guided is the right word.
  • It is purely a matter of perspective, I recall another bright young coach, Chris Colemen, guiding a spectacularly hapless Sunderland straight into league one ;)
  • Tbf to Potter, what he did this season was completely overhaul the Swansea squad, invest in youth and get them playing a good passing game again. I don’t think he’ll keep Brighton up, but finishing 10th was the end of it, IMO.
  • edited May 2019
    It’s a massive gamble purely because they are replacing somebody who actually did a decent job. That really is it. Potter did a good job last season. You look at the side last season compared to the one before & he had to overhaul it to the extent where you never felt they were going to realistically challenge for promotion. Maybe they thought top 6 was an outside chance if they did better than expected but he had a very young side with very few well known players by the end of the season. I saw them on the TV a couple of times & to be fair I was surprised by the standard of football they were playing.

I don’t think it’s a case of Potter not having potential to be a good PL manager, but it is more the sacking of Hughton in order to get him which is where the doubt is.

Hughton achieved promotion, two seasons of PL football & an FA Cup semi-final. If that’s his benchmark then he’s gonna have to go some & he will need some money to better it.

Brighton seem to now feel they are at that level where they can sacrifice the experience of a manager in search of the ‘better football’ philosophy but you would struggle to find anybody who would call Brighton an established PL side based on two seasons.
  • There is a lot of talk of managers being given a chance to build and Brighton and Houghton were a perfect opportunity for that. I understand he has had a terrible run in the last half of the season but I feel there was enough since he joined the club in his favour to allow that and offer him the chance to move on. He had got them promoted, kept them up, reached a semi final and kept them up again. If Benitez fancied a seaside club then I can sort of understand the decision but not for Potter.
  • I agree with all that, however his team played DIRE football, if that is important?