Burnley (Away) 14th October 3pm (match thread)

Comments

• edited October 2017

So let’s see....

Bilic: “Up to now, we have never had the opportunity of picking our preferred team. But tomorrow we will have that luxury.”

Athough I don't infer that the team he puts out today will be what he sees as our best XI full stop.

I'll take it as our best in the circumstances... ;hmm

But lets hope our today's best XI play to their best today.

Match Day ;wahoo coyi ;scarf
  • I think this is a really hard game to call. Burnley have been so much better than last season. They look very solid at the back, but also play good passing football compared to last year.

I am with those who think it might be best to really attack from the start and hopefully put them on the back foot.
  • Burnley are managing to be more than the sum of their parts, I think.

Whereas we are doing the opposite ;weep
  • They aren’t blessed with pace so if Reidy can get us holiding a high line and we squeeze them back, we’ll stop them generally from open play. Got to be disciplined with fouls and try and keep the ball in play so that they don’t get a run of corners and throw ins.

We will have 60% possession so it will be similar to the WBA game. But putting out a more adventurous side would give us a better chance of breaking them down, but obviously we don’t want play headless football.
  • edited October 2017
    As others have noted, it's really their away form that has got them noticed.

At home they have lost 0-1 to WBA, beat Palace 1-0 and drawn 0-0 with Huddersfield.

The question is whether we can maintain our defensive discipline AND get the ball forwards better.

I think if we can, we win.
  • 0-2 come on you beautiful irons!!
  • 0-2 and Fonte to score coyi
  • 0-5! We finally thrash someone!
  • edited October 2017
    Team is (according to reliable twitter account WHUFC Bulletin):

Hart
    Zabaleta - Fonte - Reid - Cresswell
    Noble - Kouyate
    Antonio - Lanzini - Arnautovic
    Carroll

Adrian, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Obiang, Ayew, Chicharito, Sakho
  • If that team is correct then including noble rules out any chance of getting the ball forwards quickly
  • Can only assume that Obiang isn't 100%

Can't really see what Noble brings anymore
  • Oh wow. That is an attacking side!
  • Jeez ;nonono
  • Still no sakho or Masuaka though.....

4-4-2

Like the idea of Lanzini at CM and having pace in both wings
  • 4-4-2 ;hmm

Very brave with Lanzini in the middle. Think SB has really rolled his dice today.
  • ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK

;wahoo
  • 4-4-2 diamond ;hmm like i wanted :D ?
  • Attack attack attack

Concede concede concede

We're going to get thumped.
  • I mean, you can’t say he hasn’t gone for it. But wow. That side could be more open than Donald Trump’s mouth.
  • Lummey.........
  • I hope there’s some intelligent thought behind that line-up.

Not just lob on what looks like our best XI players and see what happens.
  • 3-0 just not sure who to ;sofa
  • ;wahoo coyi ;wahoo
  • I never thought I'd see a starting line up containing Carroll, Hernandez, Antonio, Lanzini and Arnautovic!

Before the game starts:
    I'm definitely in the camp that wants to see attacking play from us whether we win or lose. So I am liking this team.

After the game starts:
    I reserve the right to panic, be greedy for 3 points however badly we play to get them.

If we dont score (at least 2) with that team then I am going to be the first this afternoon to say ''Bilic out''. Although, as said, I am liking this line up! So fair play to him (fickle expression on face ;wink )
  • edited October 2017
    If we lose to Burnley, Baz gonna be all

• At least Slav is not shrinking away from the challenge before him, lets hope it's a case of fortune favours the brave as we could put in our best performance of the season with that line up, but being away from home our defence could get pulled apart.

What is striking is that all those players are decent in my book and yet we still have Sakho, Masuakou, Noble, Ayew and Ogbonna on the bench, all players that can genuinely play a role. Looking strong today.
This discussion has been closed.