The "I know its only September but..." transfer thread

Football Inside claims we have had talks with Juventus over 23yo USA midfielder Weston McKennie, supposedly as a possible replacement for Declan.

He was a Schalke youth player, started last season on loan at Juventus and they exercised their option to buy in March.

Comments

• :anguished: Noooooooooo
  • Yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss
  • edited September 2021
    It's good to hear that the club are thinking about the future, but I don't like a future without Dec tbh. Weston McKennie is meant to be a really good player though, similar attributes to Rice, but unlikely to be as good (who is?)
  • alderz said:

It's good to hear that the club are thinking about the future, but I don't like a future with Dec tbh. Weston McKennie is meant to be a really good player though, similar attributes to Rice, but unlikely to be as good (who is?)

Surely you mean without Dec, and don't call me Shirley. =)
  • You don't like with Dec? I am assuming that is a typo right?😉
  • Alderz has always hated Declan.
  • I'm laughing Alderz's typo and made one myself 😄, what a Wally.
  • I thought Kral may have been brought in to find his feet this season and join with his countryman next season in that midfield two. I have never heard of this American chap but he gets a good write up in most places.
  • * shoots self.
  • I thought Kral may have been brought in to find his feet this season and join with his countryman next season in that midfield two. I have never heard of this American chap but he gets a good write up in most places.

Even if Kral moves up to a starter in the event that Rice moves on, he'll still need replacing as first choice replacement, especially as Noble won't be an option at all.

Even if Kral moves up to a starter in the event that Rice moves on, he'll still need replacing as first choice replacement, especially as Noble won't be an option at all.
    Coventry?
  • You don't like with Dec? I am assuming that is a typo right?😉

Probably meant that idiot on the box 😁
  • Weston McKennie v Conor Coventry. There is only one winner and it's not the latter.
  • McKennie looks quite a good player. He’d be a good signing. Would’ve thought he wouldn’t be cheap though
  • I don’t know much about this American guy but one player who I’ve seen play many times and seems the most natural replacement for Rice is Teun Koopmeiners. Alternatively I’d love Ndidi but I highly doubt he’d come to us and he doesn’t seem as box to box.
  • Don’t know what you’re all talking about tbh
  • edited September 2021
    Ninja edit, cheat!
  • Hasn’t Koopmeiners joined Atalanta?
  • Signed with Atalanta 30 August 2021
  • Quotes from The Mirror:

"... Solskjaer knows that Lingard wants to be playing more often, but he has made no assurances that Lingard will be starting games going forward.

Solskjaer said: “Jesse is unhappy at not playing more. But you come on and make an impact. That’s what you do when you’re a sub at this level.”"

I'd be amazed if Moyes wasn't back in for Lingard in January, and I'd be amazed if Lingard doesn't push for it.

"... Solskjaer knows that Lingard wants to be playing more often, but he has made no assurances that Lingard will be starting games going forward.

Solskjaer said: “Jesse is unhappy at not playing more. But you come on and make an impact. That’s what you do when you’re a sub at this level.”"

I'd be amazed if Moyes wasn't back in for Lingard in January, and I'd be amazed if Lingard doesn't push for it.

Who would he replace in our team at the moment? Would he replace one bench for another?
  • I'd take Bissouma as a Rice replacement, think he's unreal

Sadly think he will have his eyes set on a 'bigger' club

Who would he replace in our team at the moment? Would he replace one bench for another?
    At the moment, no-one. But we lose Benrahma for a month in January, so that would be an opportunity for Lingard to stake his claim if he were to join in the winter window.

The reality is the chances of him playing for Moyes are much higher than him playing for Solskjaer, IMO.
  • I’ve gone off Lingard. He was way too happy to sit on that Man Utd bench rather than come to us IMO.
  • edited October 2021

I’ve gone off Lingard. He was way too happy to sit on that Man Utd bench rather than come to us IMO.

Yeah, truth is I'm not bothered either way. For the £10m he'd likely cost (assuming he doesn't sign a new deal) I'd be happy for him to sign, but I'm not bothered if he doesn't.

Thing is, we don't know what he was told by OGS in the summer. If it was along the lines of what's been quoted this morning, then I'd be surprised if Lingard would have been happy with that.

From what Moyes has said it was OGS rather than Lingard that was adamant he was staying in Manchester, so maybe he just didn't want to put in a transfer request at a club he clearly loves (just as we don't expect Rice to put one in for the same reason).
  • Lingard may well be upset about playing time but what did he honestly expect? I have no sympathy for him.
  • yoyo said:

Lingard may well be upset about playing time but what did he honestly expect? I have no sympathy for him.

Again, it depends what he was told. If OGS said during pre-season that he'd get a good amount of starts across all competitions, then given his form for us he may have believed it. But then they signed Ronaldo.

If he was told in June that they'd be signing Sancho and arguably the best player to have ever played the game, then he may have felt differently.

I'm not out to defend the guy no matter what, but without knowing the conversations that were had, I think it's difficult to judge him on why he stayed.
  • But Sancho has done absolutely nothing so far to be in ahead of Lingard. I'd have him back especially if Bowen can't find the net.
  • To be fair though, Sancho n Jesse aren't competing for the same positions in the side
  • edited October 2021
    I would have Lingard back any day, IMO he is class and an improvement on our team / squad.
    Jorderz/ Yo-yo I cannot agree with your comments at all re him only being too happy to sit on bench / what did he expect etc…..

You could actually spin that and say fantastic that he believes in himself and he’s more than good enough to make / get into the team…
    I’d take him in January without a doubt in my mind…
    #teamjesse
This discussion has been closed.