West Ham v Leeds (A): Saturday 25th September; 15:00

I said I'd leave this thread to one of the big boys, but I've just smashed Man U at Old Trafford with the B team, so I'll carry on.

Feeling quite confident for this one. Should see a strong XI with the majority of the first team rested for last night's win, so with a fresh Antonio ready to beat up an already injury-depleted Leeds defence, I think we'll see an away win.

I'd like to see Areola given a go in the PL; he looked solid at Old Trafford and this feels like a good game to give him a PL start. I'd go with:

Areola
Coufal Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
Rice Soucek
Bowen Benrahma Fornals
Antonio

Fab, Johnson, Diop, Dawson, Kral, Noble, Lanzini, Vlasic, Masuaku

Comments

• I hate coming up against teams who haven’t yet won. We used to be so charitable in these games but hopefully that’s changed under Moyes.
  • Convincing 3-1 away win. OCS's team for me too, but it could be Fab in goal.

COYI
  • Leeds are looking a bit shorthanded

Bamford missed the Carabao Cup match against Fulham on Tuesday with an ankle injury he picked up against Newcastle last Friday. 22yo Tyler Roberts started against Fulham

Also on Friday Raphinha went off after 67 minutes (hip) and Luke Ayling after 89 minutes (knee). Koch and Llorente are both long term injuries while Struijk is serving a three match ban for his red card against Liverpool.

If Ayling is unavailable Liam Cooper is the only first team CB. On Tuesday Kalvin Phillips played CB with 19yo Charlie Cresswell.

And to top things off winger Jack Harrison tested positive for Covid last week

We could be up against the team that started against Fulham with Cooper in for Cresswell:-

Meslier
    Dallas Phillips Cooper Firpo
    Shackleton
    Summerville Rodrigo Klich James
    Roberts
  • I like OCS’s team, but I really don’t see Fab not playing, tbh.
  • alderz said:

I like OCS’s team, but I really don’t see Fab not playing, tbh.

I don't either, but I'd like to see Areola play.
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see Bowen rested, or only play half the match. He's been heavily involved over the last 10 days. So one of Vlasic, Yarmo or Lanzini added to OCS's team.
  • Dodger58 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bowen rested, or only play half the match. He's been heavily involved over the last 10 days. So one of Vlasic, Yarmo or Lanzini added to OCS's team.

Vlasic, he's not played a full 90 minutes yet
  • Yes I think it will be Vlasic. Bowen actually very rarely plays a full 90 and now he's played two within a few days, with a very tiring role.
  • Was surprised that Bowen played yesterday so cant see him starting here ,
  • Bielsa has given his press conference

"Llorente, Koch and Bamford won't be available. The rest of them, I couldn't tell you either way.”

From his comments on Charlie Cresswell and Jamie Shackleton I think he's more likely to play Shackleton as DM and Kalvin Phillips as CB if Ayling isn't available.

Feeling very positive about this one
  • I'd be surprised if Bowen doesn't start. He is currently terrorising defences and just needs a goal to get him going. He is extremely fit and very quick.
  • We just need to smash them
  • I’m fence sitting on this one.
    Anything less than beating them by 5 or 6 will be a disappointment. 😀
  • Lawro has it 2-1 but Sky go for 1-3
  • edited September 2021
    Has Lawro predicted us a positive result this season?
    Need one of the nerdy lot on here to work out how many points he's predicted us over the last few seasons
    You know who you are.
  • edited September 2021
    I'm a bit more...

• Moyes confirms Fredericks out with groin, everyone else fit

Happy, happy, joy, joy
  • edited September 2021
    So Leeds have a lot of players unavailable.

I feel relatively confident on the basis I think Moyes has a bit more about him to outsmart Bielsa who is very rigid in his footballing beliefs. I think we will have opportunities to score on the break. It should be very open & with Antonio, Benrahma etc on the counter, I think there are goals for us.
  • edited September 2021
    Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Rice - Soucek
    Vlasic - Benrahma - Fornals
    Antonio

Fabianski, Dawson, Diop, Johnson, Kral, Noble, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Bowen
  • Wondering if there is any merit of playing 2 up top, given Leeds general defensive weakness, made worse by all their injuries. Antonio and Bowen together in attack, with Bowen dropping back a bit when defending, in a 4 4 1 1
    Fab
    Coufal Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell
    Benrahma Rice Soucek Fornals
    Antonio Bowen
  • I think I would leave Bowen on the bench following Wednesday & it gives us a real dangerous option to bring on. He was outstanding on Wednesday but he is basically our Antonio alternative so need to keep him fresh too.
  • Is Coufal injured? On Wednesday, Matic got away with deliberately kneeing him in the groin. Why is he not punished retrospectively?
  • Pengeman said:

Is Coufal injured?

Moyes said everyone apart from Fredericks is fit
  • But have also read reports where Moyes said he was struggling a bit ( to train as normal ) but not sure if they are direct quotes or not from Moyes...
  • From yesterday's press conference

"Fredericks is the only player we have major concerns over, he felt his groin and he won't be fit for this game."

Unless Moyes is lying
  • Yeh ASLEF you right, but I read other reports not from his press conference, but as said not sure if they were direct quotes after the interview....

https://www.hammers.news/injury-news/west-ham-ace-vladimir-coufal-a-doubt-for-leeds-after-shock-david-moyes-update/
  • They are in quotation marks so unless the site is overtly lying, the quotes are real.
  • That website is rubbish, two blokes living in Buckinghamshire who just cut and paste from other sources.

This particular story is from Claret & High (they provide a link) by Dave Langton (who?) but wasn't mentioned by any other source.

https://www.claretandhugh.info/coufal-struggle-after-matic-challenge/

You'd have thought if Moyes had said that at the press conference it would have been reported by more than one journo.
  • edited September 2021
    Whoops