R.I.P Jimmy Greaves

England's greatest forward bar none. Enough said.

Comments

• My Dad's favourite player, RIP Jimmy.
  • Simply a goal machine.
    RIP Jimmy.
  • Saw him play and score against us for Chelsea and Spurs and for us as well.
    Great great player.
    RIP Jimmy Greaves.🌹
  • One of the best.Even if he did play for spurs,At lest he came over to the good guys in the end RIP Jimmy will miss you
  • I'm not quite old enough to have seen him in his pomp, but clearly a great natural goal scorer and I am the right age for Saint and Greavesy!

I do remember somebody being interviewed about him once:

'You wouldn't see him for the whole match, then he's pop up out of a trapdoor in the penalty area, stick the ball in the back of the net and disappear again!'

That's the job, right there. =)
  • edited September 2021
    Had the privilege of attending a charity dinner where Jimmy was the keynote speaker, genuinely funny guy who had us in stitches, had a lot of time for everyone.

So sorry to hear the news, a true legend who was a class act both on and off the pitch

• Remember him commentating on Scotland vs Iceland, opened up with “well you know, when you have a local derby”

• Boycie now as well, what a day!
  • Oh blimey
  • 20th March 1971. My Dad took me to my first match at Upton Park v Ipswich. 2-2 draw, Greavsie scored both. When he came to Westham it felt amazing, then in later life, I felt Spurs had got the better end of the deal. But it was amazing to see one of the greatest strikers of the era wearing claret and blue. I bet you are in the bar with Bobby right now, having a beer or two and a bit of a laugh. RIP legend.
  • A hell of a scorer and, in an era where characters were very much a part of the game, he shone out amongst them! That personality was there for all to see during his TV days. A true football legend in and after his career