Cakes, Jaffa and otherwise. Plus biscuits.

This discussion was created from comments split from: Couldn't think....part 4.

Comments

• Jaffa cakes.
    Sold in the biscuit aisle, but called a cake.

There should be laws about this sort of thing.
  • And don't get me started on cakes of soap...
  • Soap comes in bars. There is no discussion there. Unless you are into these new fangled liquid hand soaps of which I distrust and am in denial of.
  • You dare set yourself against the authority of the dictionary?

.... Cake. Noun. a small flat object made by pressing together a soft substance:
    fish/potato cakes
    a cake of soap

• If someone offered me a cake, and then gave me a fish cake, I think I’d have far more justification in being annoyed than if they gave me a Jaffa cake.
  • edited June 2021
    From Wiki

Jaffa Cakes are biscuit-sized cakes introduced by McVitie and Price in the UK in 1927 and named after Jaffa oranges. The most common form of Jaffa cakes are circular, 2+1⁄8 inches (54 mm) in diameter and have three layers: a Genoise sponge base, a layer of orange flavoured jam and a coating of chocolate.

The product's classification as a cake or biscuit was part of a VAT tribunal in 1991, with the court finding in McVitie's favour that the Jaffa cake should be considered a cake for tax purposes

McVitie's entire line of Jaffa cakes are produced in the United Kingdom at the McVitie's factory in Stockport. The Jaffa cake production area covers an acre (4,000 m2) and includes a production line over a mile (1.6 km) long which sits on the Stockport side of the site's boundary with Manchester.

Because of the nature of the product – having multiple components of cake, chocolate covering and jam – special hardware accelerators were devised to allow rapid computer inspection of 20 products per second, taking place under four symmetrically placed lights.

I don't care which aisle they're in

Omnomnom

Also you can get Jaffa Cake flaouredd booze

https://www.masterofmalt.com/search/#search=%22jaffa%20cake%22&page=1&sort=_score&direction=desc
  • I have Jaffa cake gin in the house, but I won’t drink it because I think Jaffa cakes are a disgusting abomination
  • Dylan Moran does a lot of cake-related standup
  • I recently saw a sticker on the back of a van stating no Jaffa cakes are kept onboard overnight.

So, cake or not they are highly prized.
  • alderz said:

I think Jaffa cakes are a disgusting abomination

I agree.

• edited June 2021
    And aren't rice cakes more of a biscuit?
  • Didn’t this site used to have a cookie jar (from memory)?
  • Love Jaffa Cakes. Just wish they'd invent Jaffa biscuits if only for the stupid people.
  • MrsGrey said:

And aren't rice cakes more of a biscuit?

No they are more of a sponge
  • Off subject a bit ,but my better half just made me a Lardie cake ,Now that is a cake ,But living in Canada not had one for 30 odd years ,Anyway she saw it on some Brit show then made it from scratch .sooooooooooo good took me back to a simpler time ,Not bad for a canadian to get it right i told her it was so good she has to make one every week
  • Hamstew said:

Love Jaffa Cakes. Just wish they'd invent Jaffa biscuits if only for the stupid people.

There are Jaffa Jonuts I believe.
  • These are glorious

• So now they’re neither Jaffa nor cakes
  • Maybe not, but they're very Jaffa
  • I could murder a jacobs orange club biscuit right now.
  • Sorry but that is off topic. 😂

Topic, hmm let me think.......
  • I feel a marathon of puns coming along here =)
  • Well there are bountyful opportunities to do so
  • One will be the ice breaker
  • Not sure whether to club in or not