Next Eight Games (GW 17-24)

Thought it was getting a bit near to Boxing Day!

Remember, this IS NOT a prediction game. This is simply saying, from this batch of fixtures, what is the cut off point between good and bad. You could go one further and say what is the cut off between good, decent and bad if you want to, but basically you need to say the number that think is acceptable after this run of games.

So, our next 8 games are:
17. Arsenal at The Emirates Stadium
18. Brentford at The London Stadium
19. Leeds United at Elland Road
20. Wolves at Molineaux
21. Everton at London Stadium
22. Newcastle at St James Park
23. Chelsea at London Stadium
24. Tottenham Hotspur at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Comments

• That’s a tough run of fixtures. I reckon I would be disappointed with less than 11 points from those.
  • That is a bit tougher than it looks at first glance. Nine points minimum, at least we'll be back on a point a game!
  • It is mind boggling that Everton at home on 21 January could be a "relegation 6 pointer"

How the mighty (Everton, obs) have fallen

Amusingly it will be almost 2 years since Little Frank was sacked by Chelsea (26th Jan 2021)

Everton have Wolves (H), City (A), Brighton (H) and Saints (H) before they visit us so he should be able to hang on long enough to give us the chance to bang some nails in his coffin
  • it's meant to be tough, it's the most competitive league in the world, 20 very good teams.
  • Looking at these fixtures I have really low expectations, what's new there! Six points will be poor but win one of the next four then we might get 9, anything above that would be a bonus. We do need more than that but we aren't in the best of form atm & has David Moyes found a way of getting the star players into the staring line up or is he going to return to his old selection which sort of defeats the point of signing them (Scamacca, Paqueta etc)?
  • it's meant to be tough, it's the most competitive league in the world, 20 very good teams.

Is it the most competitive league in the world?

Its certainly the most expensive when it comes to players but it is dominated by the Sky Six. Newcastle could become a seventh over the next few years thanks to the Saudis but the rest don't have the spending power to be competitive over the long term.
  • Still think it’s possible for any team to win in any fixture in the premier league. That’s not so likely in many of the other leagues worldwide as far as I know.

Is it the most competitive league in the world?

Its certainly the most expensive when it comes to players but it is dominated by the Sky Six. Newcastle could become a seventh over the next few years thanks to the Saudis but the rest don't have the spending power to be competitive over the long term.
    You could argue it's still six top teams compared to two in Spain and only one in Germany and France (with the odd, rare exception). Juventus had a period of dominance but otherwise maybe Serie A is the next most competitive? Though maybe there isn't even a top 6 anymore, just Man City and a couple of plucky challengers but that's only come about in the past 5 years.

There's obviously an assumption when people say that about quality because the Championship is a more competitive league than the premier league and there are probably plenty of other leagues around the world that are the same.
  • I'd argue it's the toughest league; I think top v top, second v second through to 20th v 20th in another league would see more wins for the PL teams than the teams in any other league.

• Double figures would be very good, 7-9 about par any less than 7 seriously concerning
  • Sorry to bring this back to everyones attention but any comments please? As I said at the time I was even more pessimistic than usual & the six points we got is poor!