England Vs France - Saturday 10th Dec 7pm Kick off

So now it gets real! France will be a huge test of our ability to defend under pressure and to create and take opportunities against a very good side. Both teams have performed well against opposition which they should have been able to beat, and both have also had a poor match within the group stage.

I do fear a little that Southgate may approach too timidly and allow France to impose themselves on the match similar to how Moyes sets us up against top four opposition, matches in which we often only come alive after conceding. In my view we should try and take the game to them and make it a physical encounter, pressing and attacking with pace. Saka has been great in my view and will cause them problems, and if we can get Bellingham into forward positions, he can cause a bit of havoc also. I think they have as much reason to fear us as we do them.

A week to rest and prepare and a Saturday night game, this tournament is warming up nicely now.

Comments

• Remember that Man Utd where Park Ji-Sung just played as a spare man and followed Pirlo (I think) around wherever he went? I wouldn’t be against using either Walker or Trippier to just not leave Mbappe alone for the whole game.
  • edited December 2022
    That's a fair shout, I do thinks man to man marking isn't used enough when a team has one player that makes it all happen. I think coaches are afraid of how it reflects on them but on odd occasions it's a valid tactic in my view.

It is also the measure of not just the players we call great but the superstar players. How often was Maradona man marked and yet still ran the show? not to mention having lumps kicked out of him.

• Think Mbappe might even go down the middle to outpace Maguire/Stones rather than staying out wide against Walker

• Think Mbappe might even go down the middle to outpace Maguire/Stones rather than staying out wide against Walker

But then he has to get through Rice and Henderson before hand.
  • He's supposedly complained about playing down the middle for PSG because he doesn't want to do the hold up play. Giroud lets him off that for France, so I don't think he'll be shifting and everyone's raving about Griezmann's new No.10 role, so don't think there's space for Mbappe in the middle. Maybe if things aren't working out on the left he'll go and try running at Shaw instead though.

That’s why I would like Walker to just follow him around!

I’d be tempted to go like: Pickford; Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Shaw; Walker, Rice, Bellingham; Saka, Kane, Foden, and then just have Walker go wherever Mbappe goes. Essentially take the pair of them out of the game and make it 10 vs 10.

Alternatively, maybe Henderson would be good at that job. I only pick Walker because of his pace, but actually for concentration and ability to stick to task I think Henderson may be better suited for it.
  • I was impressed by the way our little lads took on the great big Senegal players in the first 20 minutes. I hope they impose themselves against the French, rather than sit back and soak up pressure.
  • alderz said:

Alternatively, maybe Henderson would be good at that job. I only pick Walker because of his pace, but actually for concentration and ability to stick to task I think Henderson may be better suited for it.

I'm afraid that Henderson trying to man-mark Mbappe might end up like Wile E Coyote chasing Roadrunner

Meep meep
  • Give the role to K Tripps.. I’m a fan of his don’t you know 😎
  • Bring back dear old Norbert Styles. He man-marked Eusebio out of the 66 World Cup.
  • I think Kyle Walker is so underrated. He's very solid and well-rounded but because he doesn't seem to be that spectacular ever people seem to always look at other players - Trent, James, Trippier etc. Maybe also because of that spell at RCB in the back 5. For me, he's clearly the best English RB. Trippier's in good form for club but in a system where Howe specifically wanted to utilise him. I'm not sure it's quite the same for England.
  • Big decisions need to be made tomorrow.

A couple of ales during the game and then have my steak and chips, bearing in mind the possibilities of extra time and pens?
    OR
    Early dinner and a decent Rioja to wash it down?

And people think Southgate’s got it hard.
  • Early dins
    Then get right on it 🍷
    Aaabosh
  • Ales during the early game, dinner between games then red wine during and after the late game. That's been the pack drill since the knockouts began....hasn't it? 🥳
  • I start work at midnight tomorrow so sadly no drinkies for me...
  • You'll be walking on air though ASLEF. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
  • IronHerb said:

Ales during the early game, dinner between games then red wine during and after the late game. That's been the pack drill since the knockouts began....hasn't it? 🥳

Yeah but I want to remember the game.

• Let’s hope you are still saying that after the game!
  • Slacker said:

IronHerb said:

Ales during the early game, dinner between games then red wine during and after the late game. That's been the pack drill since the knockouts began....hasn't it? 🥳

Yeah but I want to remember the game.

Record it. 😎
  • Weetabix and a cup of tea for the early game with beer and bacon rolls for the main event
  • Careful mentioning specific food items on here
    MrsG might not like
    #dairyleagate 🔼
  • edited December 2022

Slacker said:

Big decisions need to be made tomorrow.

A couple of ales during the game and then have my steak and chips, bearing in mind the possibilities of extra time and pens?
    OR
    Early dinner and a decent Rioja to wash it down?

And people think Southgate’s got it hard.

“ Ooh controversial selection tonight, he’s gone for the red wine, thoughts Rio?”.

“Wow,I didn’t expect that. Surely tonight of all nights he should’ve gone for an English beer?I mean red wine, it’s a bit French innit?”

• So, France win the battle of the Anthems :-)

• MrsGrey said:

So, France win the battle of the Anthems :-)

Always been my favourite
  • Did I just hear the phrase ' an England love train' 😂
  • edited December 2022
    Ref has given us nothing. Their goal should have been an attacking free-kick for us, the possible penalty (I think it was just outside) was 100% a foul not given (VAR could have confirmed in or outside the box), and it looked like another foul on Saka just outside their box that wasn't given. Even if it wasn't a penalty, it would have given us an attacking platform, and their goal just shouldn't have been one.

VAR is all well and good, but its remit is limited; a biased or poor ref can still have a huge impact on the game, and is doing so atm.
  • Well it wouldn’t be a Southern love train as they rarely run.
  • Apart from a well taken goal, it's been pretty even IMO..

Come on England.
  • This is Croatia all over again. Final ball not good enough.
This discussion has been closed.