West Ham boy comes home: Welcome Flynn Downes

Comments

• And, before anyone asks, he'll wear no.12
  • He'll wear the No.12 shirt for the nerds out there.
  • What shirt number is he?
  • alderz said:

What shirt number is he?

He's somewhere between a Vlasic and an Areola I think.
  • And, before anyone asks, he'll wear no.12

🤔

Probably over-thinking it, but footballers tend to take their numbers with them if they can. Downes wore No4 at Swansea, but obviously couldn't take Zouma's number, so I would have thought he would have gone for No14.

The fact he hasn't makes me wonder whether we're holding that shirt back for Man Utd's former No14.
  • Welcome Flynn, to your boyhood club. I hope you do yourself and the club proud
  • What bag did he arrive with?
  • edited July 2022

What bag did he arrive with?

Family heirloom.
  • Could be a very shrewd signing

Not a big fee, plus he's likely on small wages, so if it doesn't quite work out it doesn't matter

Seems like it could be a good buy, gives us a natural CM who has room to improve
  • edited July 2022
    Personally I hope we still go for another CM, possibly Sangare at PSV. It's a step up for Downes, and we need someone who can provide cover and rotation immediately at a level comparable with Rice and Soucek.

It's very likely Rice is off next summer, so we give both Downes and the extra CM a season to get established in the squad, as well as avoiding having our trousers pulled down if we're in the market for a quality and proven CM to replace Rice next summer. Hopefully by then Soucek, Downes and (say) Sangere will be settled in the squad and we can either have Coventry as our 4th CM (if he impresses on loan) or we look to find another Downes next summer.
  • The OS said that Moyes will give him time to settle, so it seems likely to me that he’s going to be the backup. If the manager wants a genuine rotation option with Soucek then I think we’ll be looking for another.

OR Conor Coventry might become an option.
  • I see he has captained both Ipswich and Swansea and he is only 22.
    All looking good.
  • alderz said:

Given where and how they both played last season, I can't see Coventry being viewed as ahead of Downes tbh.
  • alderz said:

Given where and how they both played last season, I can't see Coventry being viewed as ahead of Downes tbh.
    I read what I said back and I wasn’t very clear, but I meant that maybe Downes becomes option 3 and Coventry 4, but the way Moyes has spoken suggests he might want another one
  • Sangare and Onana have both been linked, and both are rangy, powerful players. Pretty sure Moyes is looking for a Soucek alternative.

Downes is Noble’s replacement in the squad.
  • To me, he’s the Noble replacement (in style) but also an alternative to James Ward-Prowse.

Welcome & good luck.
  • alderz said:

alderz said:

I read what I said back and I wasn’t very clear, but I meant that maybe Downes becomes option 3 and Coventry 4, but the way Moyes has spoken suggests he might want another one
    Tbh, I'm afraid this is what might happen, but it doesn't really solve the problem of rotation unless Downes can step up immediately (which seems to be at odds with what Moyes was saying).
  • Or Downes offers us an option to play a 4-3-3, with Souček & Rice.
  • Lukerz said:

Or Downes offers us an option to play a 4-3-3, with Souček & Rice.

Downes sitting and allowing both Rice and Soucek to venture forward.

I like that option.
  • edited July 2022
    Lukerz said:

But then we still have no option to rest either Rice or Soucek. I'm not saying it's not an option occasionally, but if that's going to be our preferred formation this season we've done nothing to add depth in that area of the pitch.
  • I’m sure we’ll sign another central player but we arguably have Rice, Soucek, Downes, Lanzini & Fornals.
  • edited July 2022

Lukerz said:

Downes sitting and allowing both Rice and Soucek to venture forward.

I like that option.
    Not sure that’s his game. Saw a blog post by the Alderz of Swansea about how his game was on the front foot and driving them forwards and their attackers might benefit from getting Allen in who would just sit there in a way Downes didn’t.
  • He's an intelligent player who has excellent distribution so I dont think it'll take him that much time to settle or push for a place in the side. A young captain implies a good head on his shoulders too but I especially like him because we have another 'one of us' at the club after Mark's retirement. You cant put a price on that love for the club (although if pushed I'd say its worth 4.75 million :-P )