‘Pick that one out’ - The best goal you’ve ever seen

So I’ve heard this a lot over the last 48 hours; best goal you’ve seen.

This could be a West Ham goal.
A PL goal.
An International goal.
In a ground.
On TV.
It can be ‘best’ by your own criteria - how it made you feel, best skill, technical ability, importance, whatever.
It can be a Sunday league goal your mate scored.

Describe the goal or try & find a clip of the goal to post & justify why it was the ‘best goal’ you have seen.

Comments

• For me it's between two.

It's Di Canio's volley, or it's Bergkamp against Argentina.

• There seemed to be some doubt from the commentator who scored the Dutch Goal, which was sublimely finished after a great ball from De Boer.

Trying not to be biased, Di Canio's goal trumps it for me, good ball out to Sinclair from Foe, then Sinclair's cross and the skill of Di Canio's finish ....
  • edited April 2022
    Bergkamp was a fantastic goal and he got a great one against Newcastle, I think, where he almost did a pirouette
  • Lanzini to make it 3-3 at Spurs (2020) just before my birthday dinner of Roast leg of lamb with my Brother and Sister between lockdowns ( rule of 6 )
  • I dropped my beer when that went in. Rookie mistake but worth it
  • I wish the Dutch commentator on the second video would have at least given us a clue on who scored the goal.
  • Antonio's first ever West ham goal in the game against Southampton.

• For many reasons, I feel this is probably the greatest goal I have seen.

I think the pure circumstances of this; the dive to win the penalty, the importance of the save (would have meant Leicester reached the play-off final), the instant break and goal which sent Watford through, the reaction of all those in the ground, the deflation of the Leicester players, the actual quality of the finish given the pressure and time in the game, the contrasting emotions…

That summed up football for me, in 2 minutes.
  • edited April 2022
    Too many.

Di Canio Volley
    Payet Free kicks
    Obiang and Lanzini Thunderstrikes against Spurs
    Ravel Morrison run against Spurs
    Vaz Te play off final
    Dean Ashton overhead kick vs Man U

Outside of West Ham:-

Roberto Carlos banana kick
    Van Persie header v Spain
    Zlatan overhead kick against England
    Rooney overhead kick against City
    Agueroooooo against QPR
    Ronaldinho vs England

Ebbsfleet winning 1-0 vs Torquay in the FA Trophy Final, was there with what seemed like the whole of Gravesend at Wembley. Non League club filling over 40k of Wembley.

• This one was pretty good

• There could be three categories - Best finish, best individual goal and best team goal.
  • Hamstew said:

Antonio's first ever West ham goal in the game against Southampton.

To this day, the most Antonio goal ever.
  • For me some of the most memorable goals have been Gascoigne v Scotland in 96 and Gerrard v Germany in 2001.
    Carroll's bicycle kick, Payet's free kick v ManU
  • Payets free kick against Palace I reckon was the pick of his free kicks. Hit way over the keepers head and dips under the bar.
  • My first ever West Ham game was a 4-0 win over Derby and Trevor Sinclair scored a bicycle kick.

At the time I thought it was the best goal ever scored, but maybe I was a bit over-excited.

Also Zamora's winner in the play-off final versus Preston. I was right behind it and the celebrations were amazing. Especially as I'd been to the play-off final the year before where we lost to Palace, which was a terrible day.
  • Yeold mentioned mine:
    Vaz Te and the play off final winner…
  • I actually love love love that recent Lanzini goal v Palace.
  • My first ever West Ham game was a 4-0 win over Derby and Trevor Sinclair scored a bicycle kick.

At the time I thought it was the best goal ever scored, but maybe I was a bit over-excited.

Also Zamora's winner in the play-off final versus Preston. I was right behind it and the celebrations were amazing. Especially as I'd been to the play-off final the year before where we lost to Palace, which was a terrible day.

To be fair, Trevors goal that day was a cracker!
  • Lukerz said:

For many reasons, I feel this is probably the greatest goal I have seen.

I think the pure circumstances of this; the dive to win the penalty, the importance of the save (would have meant Leicester reached the play-off final), the instant break and goal which sent Watford through, the reaction of all those in the ground, the deflation of the Leicester players, the actual quality of the finish given the pressure and time in the game, the contrasting emotions…

That summed up football for me, in 2 minutes.

For me, just the weird way his hair comes from around the back of his head was enough to hope he missed the penalty (even if it wasnt a dive). Its a character flaw to dislike someone for weird reasons but I live with it and hope to get better :)
  • So many great goals,may not be the most popular observation, but I do not think I have seen a player strike a ball so sweetly and consistently than Paul Scholes, whenever the ball came out to him and he was 25-30 yards out, you just knew
  • Outside of the obvious West Ham goals over the years, with what Chicago said about Scholes, it instantly provoked the thought of some of Le Tissiers long rangers!
  • Le Tissier would certainly rank high in any table of incredible goals, he was extraordinary, he rarely scored a tap in
  • I've cancelled Le Tissier over his recent comments on covid and Ukraine.
  • In my defence, I have lived in USA for 12 years and Le Tissier is not someone I have seen or heard of since I left (when I watch football its via NBCSN and now USA So I see Robbie Mustoe, Robbie Earl, Lee Dixon, Graham LeSaux and Tim Howard as pundits).

I have however googled him (re covid and Ukraine) now. Where's that faceplant emoji!
  • I was unaware of any comments so did likewise. What a berk
  • Always thought he was a decent bloke really, I’ve never been a good judge of people though.😳
  • Re best goals - Gerrard's Cup Final equaliser anybody ? >:)
  • Zidane's Champions League final goal.
    Joe Cole against Sweden.
    Winston Reid at Upton Park for the emotion of it.
    Owen's goal against Argentina was massive in the moment. Beckham's free kick against Greece as well.