The March International Break

Six Hammers on international duty; Rice, Lanzini, Soucek, Masuaku, Areola and Vlasic. Selfishly hoping the first three don't get a lot of minutes, although it'd be nice to see Lanzini turn out for Argentina after his injury and form issues over recent seasons.

Oh, and here's Rice arriving at England HQ with his West Ham bag:

Comments

• Did Antonio go to Playfor Jamaica
  • No, he wasn't called up. Not sure whether it was his decision or the Jamaican manager's, but either way it benefits us.
  • Hopefully this international break will work in reverse us and we get back to the form before the last break.
  • I think Antonio only joined up with Jamaica to try to get to the World Cup but they aren’t going to qualify, so there’s sort of no point now.

Ben Johnson was also called up for England U21s
  • How rubbish is Daniel James?
  • Italy out. Second World cup on the trot they haven't qualified. Hahaha
  • Our Czech contingent going out too.
  • Feel bad about our Czech guys would have been nice to see them at the world cup
  • The only silver lining to the Czech Republic going out is our players will get an additional well earned break at the end of this year.
  • Football's not coming Rome.
  • At least last time they got knocked out by Sweden who went on to have a good World Cup until they ran into England

This time they've been knocked out by (Northern) Macedonia who have never qualified!!!
  • Oh no he is only bringing Rice on.
  • What could possibly go wrong...
  • I'm hearing Rice might captain the England team tonight
  • I'm only now sensing there was even a question that Rice might be the next England captain once Kane has retired.

As far as I'm concerned he is nailed on to take over. He's a born leader and has been so since he was 20 or 21.

And I bet learning from Noble has been a huge part of that.
  • **PEDANTIC ALERT!**

'He's a born leader and has been so since he was 20 or 21'

Make your mind up. 😄
  • IronHerb said:

**PEDANTIC ALERT!**

Make your mind up. 😄

He’s so wise he’s been 20 since he was born
  • IronHerb said:

**PEDANTIC ALERT!**

Make your mind up. 😄

Fine. 20 and a half.
  • IronHerb said:

**PEDANTIC ALERT!**

Make your mind up. 😄

Fine. 20 and a half.
    So not born a leader then?
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

**PEDANTIC ALERT!**

Make your mind up. 😄

Fine. 20 and a half.
    So not born a leader then?
    Yes. No. I dunno. I'm tired.
  • Hamstew said:

I'm hearing Rice might captain the England team tonight

I know it’s a big deal for Rice, but I’d rather he didn’t play at all tonight, and keep him fresh and uninjured for the rest of the season. West Ham bias! ⚒

• Surely he shouldn't need wait for Kane to retire. Kane isn't even Captain of his club, and doesn't seem to have the attributes you look for in a Captain.

Rice has been coached in leadership by two brilliant Captains, I believe is good friends with and sees John Terry as his inspiration, I know we don't like him on here but he was a great Captain on the pitch for Chelsea, and our own Mark Noble, who is a role model for any player. Rice should Captain England now in my view.

It is a unique role and can make a difference. I remember many remarking how much we owed Lucas Neil for the great escape from relegation as he came in and led.

As for Kane's Captain at Spurs (Loris) don't get me started on appointing a Captain who is stuck in his own penalty area!
  • Rice, captain, Bowen and A.N. Other summer signing. Three West Ham players in team - England can’t possibly fail at World Cup!!
    Hopefully the players will understand this and stay in the summer. ⚒
  • A.N. Other summer signing

Can you see the flaw in your argument? 🤔🤔🤔😂🤣😂
  • Rice starts, but Sterling is captain.

I could just about get on board with Rice playing if he was captain. Would almost make it worth his while.

But basically this is just another opportunity for him to get injured in a pointless friendly.
  • Honestly don't see how he makes Sterling captain ahead of Rice, stupid decision imo.
  • Yeah is weird.
  • Big club bias.

Really is that simple, IMO.
  • It’s nothing to do with his club, IMO. Sterling is the most capped player under Southgate, is the most capped player in the squad, and has been captain before. He’d have also gone to Maguire before Rice, I reckon.

Also, I’m happy Rice is playing. The more caps he has the better.
  • I agree that it's good that he plays but I can't agree that Sterling or Maguire are more captain material than Rice. Perhaps that's just West Ham bias though.