UEFA review of Russia-Ukraine situation (football impact)

This discussion was created from comments split from: West Ham recruitment and general grumbling.

Comments

• Surely we might have one less team to fight for a European place going forwards. How can Chelsea be allowed to fulfill their fixtures ? Abramovich advised Yeltsin to pick Putin and is one of Putins closest advisers.
    Premier league footballers continue to kneel for BLM /racism so how on earth could they take the pitch against a team owned by one of Putins closest allies .
  • Huttonhammer, Interesting point. Russia are due to play Poland in a World Cup Play off on March 24 with the winners meeting Sweden or the Czech Republic. Can anyone see how UEFA or FIFA can let the games involving Russia proceed?
  • UEFA having a meeting to discuss the "possibility" of moving the Champions league final from St Petersburg . What does it take for it to be certain rather than possible?
  • You know the answer. Football is only interested in money.
  • My take would be they can’t say certain until they’ve had the meeting.
  • Russia are due to host Poland in a World Cup qualifier in March. 🤔
  • Liz Truss called on English clubs to boycott the CL final if it was held in Moscow and they qualified.

Half of me wants it to go ahead and for Chelsea to reach the final

That would be interesting...
  • I thought, possibly incorrectly, that if you had sanctions against a state then sport wasn't possible, like Apartheid South Africa.
  • Why would a Russian owner not want to take his club to Russia? And Truss needs to impose the sanction and not leave it up to others to do her job.
  • yoyo said:

I thought, possibly incorrectly, that if you had sanctions against a state then sport wasn't possible, like Apartheid South Africa.

We haven't imposed sanctions against Russia

We've imposed sanctions on five Russian banks and frozen the UK accounts of three individual oligarchs who don't live in the UK and who the USA have had sanctioned since 2018
    IronHerb said:

Why would a Russian owner not want to take his club to Russia? And Truss needs to impose the sanction and not leave it up to others to do her job.

Exactly, it would be very interesting to see how they would explain it

Truss does what she's told. The Tory party is up to its necks in Russian money and they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them

• Brief historical analysis of Ukraine/Russia relationship.
  • The final’s been moved.

I don’t think we’ll see sanctions on Russia as a whole and I hope we won’t. Russian people don’t need to suffer for what Putin is doing.
  • Outcast . Surely the only way sanctions can work is if they turn the Russian public against Putin . Putin won’t care about sanctions but the Russian people will.
    As for Chelsea , what player who knelt for blm/racism could take the field against a side whose owner was very closely linked to Putin who has just started a war. It would be massive hypocrisy in my view.
  • Be interesting to see if EUFA also remove Gazprom from it's official CL sponsors list.
  • The final’s been moved.

I don’t think we’ll see sanctions on Russia as a whole and I hope we won’t. Russian people don’t need to suffer for what Putin is doing.

You might want to consider this.
    https://www.russiamatters.org/analysis/5-polls-contextualize-russia-ukraine-crisis
  • I’m not sure there is much evidence of such broad sanctions having much impact and they cause terrible suffering.

Those polls don’t make Russian people deserving of having to live without enough to eat or access to medicine, which are the types of issues sanctions bring up. They don’t necessarily have access to the full story. Russian media has been showing that Ukraine has been shelling civilians in Donbas, presenting the image that it is responding to Ukrainian aggression so it’s not that surprising that polls show Russians don’t believe their government is to blame.
  • Meanwhile they'll continue to support Putin while Ukrainians suffer bombardment instead of the effects of sanctions.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60504979

Betis vs Zenit still going ahead.

Hope Betis finish the job off.
  • Meanwhile they'll continue to support Putin while Ukrainians suffer bombardment instead of the effects of sanctions.

This doesn’t prove they support Putin. Russians are the ones who live under Putin, it’s not exactly easy to be openly in opposition to him.

• As for Chelsea , what player who knelt for blm/racism could take the field against a side whose owner was very closely linked to Putin who has just started a war. It would be massive hypocrisy in my view.

How are these linked? The knee was directly related to football.

Do you support teams boycotting Israeli teams? That’s more of a direct reference. Has Saudi Arabia been boycotted at any of the international tournaments for its war in Yemen? Should have America or the British teams have been boycotted for invading Iraq. Those are far closer comparisons before you accuse players of hypocrisy for a protest against racism.

• The news media correspondents in Russia have all stated that Russians who only take their news from state media believe what Putin says but those who follow international news or internet think he’s totally out of order. Whilst they’re happy to say this when talking to world media and many have been interviewed by BBC, CNN et al they’d be reluctant to say the same if interviewed by Russian outlets for obvious reasons. They are the ones who lose out.
    Putin has a very close knit team around him, mostly ex KGB, but all other officials woul£ be afraid to step out of line.
  • That's been Russia for over a hundred years.
  • Chelsea is a difficult case because Abramovich is here as an Israeli citizen not Russian. He was refused a visa extension a few years ago and took Israeli citizenship so I’ve no idea how that is dealt with
  • Kick him out anyway, after all he owns Chelsea! ;)
  • edited February 2022
    I am surprised Johnson hasn't made him a Lord.
  • Maybe Abramovich would get a peerage if he invited Johnson to stay on his yacht, just as it worked for "Lord Lebedev of Hampton and Siberia" who let Johnson stay at his Italian villa
  • Aaaaaahh, That old fashion noble British family the Lebedevs

• Anti war protests in St Petersburg and many other cities despite police arresting people. One group said its 900 arrested.

Putin and his friends come up on a lot of places I work on in very damaging ways - Syria, Mozambique, Sudan, Mali, Central African Republic etc.

I really do think he needs to be stopped. But a blind sanction might just double the amount of civilians suffering. They can’t easily get rid of him. The toughest possible sanctions on everyone around him is more likely to have an impact and cause less suffering but I don’t know if any type of sanction is enough, to be honest.
  • Tbh other than sanctions I can’t see what else The West can do. I know it cries out for a military response but unfortunately that could mean all out war. I feel for those poor souls in Ukraine.

This doesn’t prove they support Putin. Russians are the ones who live under Putin, it’s not exactly easy to be openly in opposition to him.