Mason Greenwood

Some disgusting Stuff going on twitter and Instagram relating to the way he has been treating his girlfriend (allegedly) . This has led to Man U having to release a statement

Mods please remove this if you believe it necessary..
(Mod edit... I've removed the link, based on subsequent comments about audio)

Comments

• edited January 2022
    NB I certainly do not go looking for this. Just messaged to me by my daughter who’s boyfriend is a Man U supporter. I’ve been sent some screen shots etc which if true mean I really hope his career is over and the Law is successfully prosecuted.
  • Let's just be clear, it is all alleged at the moment.

I'm not clicking on the Sun link, for obvious reasons.

The club statement is this: ‘We are aware of images and allegations circulating on social media.‘We will not make any further comment until the facts have been established. Manchester United does not condone violence of any kind.’

The GM Police statement is this: ‘We are aware of images and videos circulating on social media. Enquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances.’
  • The audio is pretty damning, but agree with Mrs G. I really don't like this prosecution by social media.
  • The woman in question took down all the posts on her Instagram apparently.
  • The woman in question took down all the posts on her Instagram apparently.

I’m not sure that means anything, personally. I’ve already seen masses of people online attacking her, so wouldn’t blame her for trying to get rid as much of that noise as possible.

The audio is particularly damning. I do not like trial by social media, but I also recognise how incredibly difficult it is for domestic abuse and sexual violence cases to be treated properly by the police and CPS.
  • The audio would have to be taken down because it could prejudice a trial. It doesn’t mean anything other than that.

(Please no one link to it. I didn’t expect to be hearing what I would hear when I opened it. )
  • She should have gone straight to the police. Posting it online only allows the neanderthals of Twitter and Instagram to have their say.
  • She should have gone straight to the police. Posting it online only allows the neanderthals of Twitter and Instagram to have their say.

I’m not sure she’s the one whose behaviour should be questioned
  • How do we know its Greenwood? Recordings can be edited

Posting it online was a very bad idea and possibly will make it harder to bring any charges
  • Where have I questioned her behaviour? If you were attacked, would you post the pictures of the attack online and the voice of said attacker threatening you or would you show them to the police who can actually do something about it?
  • edited January 2022
    If that was my sister, I wouldn't bother with the police, I'd discreetly break his legs and make sure he wouldn't be able to play again, maybe not the right thing to do I know.
  • I think when people feel trapped or helpless they can do things that might not be the most logical option. Apart from it being natural for people to turn to social media now, there are many reasons she could’ve done, even if it might not seem like the best option. We don’t know much about the context or what she might have tried previously.
  • bottom line do not attack women and no means no, if proven to be true, innocent, etc,etc, throw away they key.
  • How do we know its Greenwood? Recordings can be edited

Presumably what the police are investigating.
  • Looks like an arrest has been made
  • I hope he gets the maximum and more if and when it gets to court.
  • The law now is that even if she changes her mind the case goes ahead as often the victims are pressured into withdrawing the allegations
  • I hope he gets the maximum and more if and when it gets to court.

I agree, as long as he is guilty.
  • Agree with all that’s been said. It does seem pretty cut and dried but due process has to be gone through and all sides will get their say.
    IF it’s at it seems that young woman is going to need a lot of support which hopefully our disgusting tabloids will recognise.
  • This is all allegedly, but it seems Man Utd paid off the girl and kept it hushed up and that this only came out after she was hacked.
  • This is all allegedly, but it seems Man Utd paid off the girl and kept it hushed up and that this only came out after she was hacked.

lets hope not, if its true, someone at the club needs sacking

lets hope not, if its true, someone at the club needs sacking
    More than sacking, I'd say.
  • That would be a monstrously poor decision from a huge business and high profile football club so I can't possibly think that is true.
  • Ronaldo's legal team probably offered their services...
  • Now been rearrested on further sexual assault and threats to kill

• Two articles next to each other on the BBC website.
  • I suppose they were reported on the same day and both involve or are both football related.
  • I read the Goodwillie article and, yes, certain people who make mistakes deserve a second chance. However, and its a big however, for me its a question of the gravity of that mistake. He didn't shoplift from Harrods. He also has 2 other assault charges against him so its not one mistake and sexual assault/rape is not a mistake its a decision to to exert power over another human being against their will/consent. Whether we like it or not, football is different to other jobs. In short, its a massive privilege to play a game for amounts of money most of us could only dream about. So no, Goodwillie 100% does not deserve a second chance playing football! The people responsible at Raith (and his former club) should be ashamed of themselves.
  • I suppose they were reported on the same day and both involve or are both football related.

Well, yes obviously.

But the reason I’ve shared it here is that there has been this assumption that Greenwood’s career would be over, but Goodwillie has maintained a career comfortably in Scotland, Robinho has managed the same in Brazil.