UK and World events and other things in the news (not Brexit)

Comments

• He also pledged allegiance to IS and attempted by his actions to kill or maim innocent people.
  • edited July 2016
    pardew

Frankly, there is little point in attempting to engage with you.

You simply choose to change the grounds under discussion at whatever point it suits you.

thornbury

I don't understand what difference you think that makes to the point that was initially under discussion.

David Ali Sonboly, in his actions also killed and maimed innocent people.

Was he a terrorist? Does it really matter what we call people prepared to kill other people?

Is it more important to find labels or reasons?

• The most shocking thing about these attacks, is the fact there not actually that shocking anymore... It's like it's becoming the norm to have something like this happen every week...

Very sad times...

Makes you wonder how bad Sadam Husain and Gadaffi actually were for the world... ;hmm
  • An excellent Novel by Frederick Forsyth called 'The Fist of God' effectively said we left Sadam Hussain remain after the first Gulf War on the basis of 'better the devil you know'. Only a story of course, but many of FF's novels are woven around fact.
  • Dodger

Well, the Americans should have known him pretty well.

http://www.truth-out.org/archive/item/43682:when-hussein-was-our-ally
  • So sane people strap bombs to themselves? ;doh
  • I think the authorities would like to know if they are mental health patients on terrorists !!!!!!!!
  • Herb

I rather think some do, at least within the legal definition of sane.
  • That's Catch 22. ;biggrin
  • edited July 2016
    He'd attempted to kill himself twice and had received psychiatric care so he was obviously suffering from mental problems. He'd been in Germany for two years, had been turned down for asylum and was facing being deported.

Rather than simply attempt suicide again he straps a bomb to himself and blows himself up in a crowd. He claims allegiance to ISIS, he's front page news and people are calling him a terrorist rather than just another sad mental illness statistic that no one would have heard about.
  • Really!!
    Where did he get the bomb from
    Germany's tesco
  • Internet.

You can google it.

I don't advise you google it mind.

• ;nonono

And definitely no posting any links here!

I don't want to spend the rest of my life on the ;run
  • I'm surprised you haven't heard of the Dark Web, pardew.
  • They don't send bombs in the post, pards. They write articles about how to make 'em in your mum's kitchen. (I'm not joking)
  • edited July 2016
    One of the problems we face is driven partially by the media and it's insatiable appetite for sensational material, unfortunately in our modern messed up world, any disseffected individual knows that he/she can claim instant fame by conducting these acts and claiming they're inspired by ISIS or whomever.

Do not mistake me, I consider the acts that IS are actually perpetrating as truly evil and I am very afraid that we will ultimately have no choice but to rise up as a global community and crush them.

In the meantime, it strikes me that alongside that effect and probably long after that effort has proven effective, we will still have to endure these types of attacks to society.

Ho hum
  • Blimey!!
    Why are these sites not closed down!!
  • pardew

Do a bit of reading about the Dark Web, and you'll have your answer.
  • Is that like when Incey Wincy spider goes rogue?
  • Oh dear!!!!!!!!
  • Herb

Almost exactly. ;biggrin
  • Pards, it's kind of an online black market. Not accessible in normal ways and hard to close down/regulate.

Also new technologies emerge quote frequently so for security services it's always an issue of how to catch up with what they're using.
  • I've just watched the film of skydiver Luke Aikens jumping from 25000 feet without a parachute into a giant net in California. Astonishing. I did notice that he didn't say afterwards that he was yet ready for the challenge of supporting West Ham in the 2016-17 season.
  • My opinion only but i feel anyone that commits murder suicide has mental problems unfortunately they are encouraged by extremest groups like IS & Al Qaeda to commit Jihad. This perverted sense of sacrifice for God (who in their right mind would think God would want anyone to murder other human beings Christian or Muslim ) is the overriding issue. Where is the condemnation from the most senior Shiite & Sunni Muslim clerics in Iran, Saudi, etc? I am sadly deafened by the silence (or the lack of reporting) these crazy people need to understand they are going to hell not the loving arms of 100 virgins and until they do unfortunately we will continue to see this senseless violence all over the globe. We hear from western politicians, the Queen even the Pope why not an Ayatollah?
  • ;ok thanks Outcast could do with more publicity and some higher figures in the middle east making the same points
  • Simon, I understand what you're saying because it's been underreported but the links above include the top religious figure in Saudi Arabia, thousands of leading figures in India/South Asia. The top religious authority in Egypt has also condemned them. There's not really a religious authority in the Middle East or in Muslim communities that hasn't.

These groups grow on the fringes of the communities, not in mosques. Frankly, they're gangs and in France and the UK many of the people who went to fight were literally gang members. Do you blame a local community for not being able to take down gangs by itself? Police get a much too easy ride on this from the media because it's frankly their failure. Instead we get counter-terror policies that don't succeed and just isolate people/push them towards the door.