UK and World events and other things in the news (not Brexit)

Comments

• These poor people in Germany another attack
    The world has changed so much in the last 15 years
    It's truly scary
  • edited July 2016
    Yes, shocking. And what about those poor people in Baghdad and Kabul too. It is awful what they endure.

I don't agree that this latest incident in Germany shows 'the world has changed in the last 15 years'.

There are many examples of random acts of violence, people with psychiatric histories committing crimes, terrorist acts etc before 2000.

• Pards, this latest attack is just down the road from where I live. I only passed the area during my last run event. The attack in Munich is where my wife used to go to school. And the attack on the train ... I used to take the exact route last year to get home from work. This is really sick stuff.
  • Hope you are all ok Munich, take care and be safe.
    I fear it's only a matter of time in the uk
  • Pards, this latest attack is just down the road from where I live. I only passed the area during my last run event. The attack in Munich is where my wife used to go to school. And the attack on the train ... I used to take the exact route last year to get home from work. This is really sick stuff.

;hug
  • Stay safe Munich Hammer ;ok
  • edited July 2016
    Thanks folks :)

tbh I'm not that worried. Sure, it does touch me because I know the places involved and have been there often enough but If it does get me it's a case of wrong place, wrong time. The incident on Friday had nothing to do with the IS and you just can't regulate nutty.
    The thing is ,though, as difficult as it may seem, we must not let them win and if we sit at home all the time, too scared to put a foot outside then they will have won. ;hug
  • Well said!

;hug
  • And Phil Green. grrrr
  • edited July 2016
    Not that you are at greater risk from him, obviously. ;whome

Although ;hmm
  • Agree Mrs grey there has always been terrorism
    But I feel since sept 11 things have changed
  • So according to reports he was Syrian refused a visa but allowed to stay due to the situation in his country and that's how he repays Germany
    ;angry
  • edited July 2016
    pardew

Ir does very little good to cherry-pick news items for bits that suit you.
    Mr Herrmann said the man had been known to have tried to take his own life twice and had spent time in a psychiatric clinic.

"We don't know if this man planned on suicide or if he had the intention of killing others," he said.
    This was a man who clearly had serious mental health issues, so was unlikely to have been thinking rationally.

And he was being deported to Bulgaria (not that that is any excuse for violence.)
  • The Munich shootings sound more like Columbine than ISIS, he used Facebook to lure other teenagers by offering free meals at the local McDonalds.
  • Ir does very little good to cherry-pick news items for bits that suit you.

The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Daily Express have been very successful doing precisely that.......
  • According to Mr Herrmann
  • The Munich shootings sound more like Columbine than ISIS, he used Facebook to lure other teenagers by offering free meals at the local McDonalds.

Apparently inspired by Breivik, he was deliberately targeting children of immigrants (3 with Turkish parents, 3 from Kosovo). And I think on the 5th anniversary of the Norway attack.
  • edited July 2016
    That would be

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann

I think we can allow ourselves to imagine that he would be reasonably well-informed prior to speaking to the world's media.

If your original attention had simply been to pay respect to those killed, your further posts were unnecessary.

If you want to use the deaths as a way to push a political agenda, then the least you should be prepared for is people to possibly disagree with your interpretation.
  • Sorry Grey, but Herrmann is usually one to speak before the facts are in.
    They have now found a video on the bomber's mobile but priorto that there was no way he could have known it was religiously motivated.
  • Munich

Think we may be at cross-purposes.

At the time of my posting, he hadn't mentioned religious motivation.

Unless he was simply misinformed, Hermann said the man in question had known psychiatric issues and had attempted suicide twice.

Regardless of claimed motivation, I would think those factors were significant in what took place.
  • He jumped to the religious purpose object yesterday evening. He was extremely fast saying he thought it was an islamist attack.

We were lying in bed yesterday evening wondering what was going on. We could hear the helicopters and the sirens and it went on for ages.
  • Munich

;ok

I guess people always look to make political capital out of this kind of thing.

My post was really to suggest that rather than pardew's suggested motivation of

ungrateful Syrian refugee

perhaps

young man with a known psychiatric history and previous suicide attempts

would give a clearer idea of what led to this tragic event.
  • I get what you were aiming at, I was only pointing out the reliability of Bavarian politicians.
  • Unreliable?

You had me at 'politician'.
  • Does anyone really think he was depressed!!
    What got a bomb strapped it to himself
    Yea right oh
  • edited July 2016
    pardew

I struggle to understand what point you are trying to make.

Are you saying that the man involved did not have known psychiatric issues, and did not attempt suicide at least twice?

Can I ask how you know this if that is what you are saying?
  • Grey
    Whether he had mental health issues or not or even if he did try and kill himself
    He did the following
    Got a bomb
    Strapped it to himself
    Set it off
    That's a terrorist not someone who's depressed ;doh
  • Grey
    Why not just say oops looks like I made a mistake there
    They found a suicide video now he had a remote for the bomb he's a terrorist