My First Car...

Comments

• State of the art they were. You could partially see out of about a quarter of the window.
  • IronHerb said:

What you couldn't do with a hammer, wasn't worth doing.

Aahh, happy days.

fixed it for ya!
  • My first car was a 1963 Hillman Imp, bought it for £150. I swear it had to be push started more often than not.

Still loved it though
  • My first car was a 1963 Hillman Imp, bought it for £150. I swear it had to be push started more often than not.

Still loved it though

Just for you and those who are too young to remember....

imp
  • What would £150 be today? My first insurance was £1,200 and that was with some fiddling.
  • £1200 ;nonono
  • £1200 ;nonono

that's cos Outcast was 12 at the time

;lol
  • Does anyone remember those 'stick on' heated rear windows?

And connected to either side of the ignition coil for power ;biggrin

I loved cars then, you never see one any more with a different colour door or bonnet.

Still see the occasional one on the M1 - always brings a smile
  • The imp had some innovative features for its day, the 875cc engine was rear mounted and the rear window was actually a hatch so you could access the rear storage compartment created when the rear seats were folded down.

Quite nifty don't you think.

Just to be clear, mine was a 1963, and I did pay £150 for it, what I did not tell you was that it was 16 years old when I bought it.

It was a fun car, one of my mates had a similar vintage 850cc mini - we went many times down the A127 towards southend together, the Imp was more spacious and practical but the Mini was more fun to actually drive.

Thanks for posting the picture ;ok
  • edited March 2016
    A minivan in jaunty yellow. A snip at fifty quid. The gear lever jumped out of third, so to this day I drive with one hand on the gearstick (even in my automatic.) It was burglar-friendly, since you could push the windows sideways & start it with a screwdriver. My so-called friends often took advantage of this.
  • My old Viva was so damp in the passenger footwell that mushrooms grew there. Never risked trying if they were edible though.
    Eventually sold it to a work colleague for £25 who used it for a few weeks before abandoning it. He hadn't told me of this and I got a notice from the police about abandoning an unlicensed vehicle. Fortunately, and rather bizarrely, I had given him a receipt for his £25 because he asked for one and had taken a copy and sent it to the police saying I was no longer the owner although I expect it must have still been registered in my name.
    Neither of us heard any more about it so never knew what happened. Perhaps the police broke it up and sold it for parts.
  • ... or developed a lucrative side-line in mushroom farming ;hmm
  • My first car was a 1969 Triumph Herald. Pukka old car. ;ok
  • edited March 2016
    Ford Cortina MkIII

Resprayed and nice new rims.....loved it.

Had a problem with the harsh winter of the late 80's can't remember the exact year....when to start it, pulled the manual choke out and it came out, right out about 6ft of wire inside the car.....then the cable to the battery terminals snapped in the freezing cold....

After that it was a couple of Capri's a 1.6GL and a 2.0S

• Capri ;carew
  • You know it.....

If it was good enough for Del Boy, then it was good enough for me.

Never did get the one I really wanted, the 2.8i ;weep
  • I'd have one now if I could.

I loved my Capri like I've loved very little else...
  • 3 litre Capri from 1980, just for you Suze

4254063417_12539c24a7_z
  • My first car was a 5 door renault 5 its was a nightmare in winter, with ice on the inside of the windscreen I had to scrape the inside and outside then it misted up when the heater got going

My Mam had a Renault 5, a model built to cater for the niche "Suicidal Masochist" demographic.
  • MJ_IRONS said:

3 litre Capri from 1980, just for you Suze

4254063417_12539c24a7_z

Be still my beating heart.
  • Every time I look at this thread I think of this song:

• Hillman Avenger for me. I bought it in 1980. I think it was a '71 or '72 model.
  • Mine was a Mk3 Spitfire in a rather fetching yellow. I bought it for 200 quid from a mechanic who probably took another two grand off of me in the subsequent ten years to keep it on the road. When it overheated (which was somewhat frequently) it shorted some wiring making the horn blare continually until it cooled down.

I went all over the country in that car to Mod rallies. Lordy, I loved that car, sniff. I only sold it so I could upgrade to a Sunbeam Harrington Le Mans.

The Spitfire.

The Harrington
  • edited March 2016
    Did any of you have one of these? ;lol

• My first car was a tractor you could get a licence for one at 16 - no cab just hop aboard and you could start it with the dipstick
  • ;thumbsup

I wish I'd have known that Bruv, would have been interesting driving a tractor to school ;hmm
  • Austin - that Harrington looks really sharp ;ok
  • Ford Corsair V4 , £200 secondhand. You always remember your first car!