EFL Championship : West Ham v Wrexham @ home, Friday 11th Sept @ 8pm (UK Time)

edited September 9 in Match Threads
I'm on a bit of a roll here, didn't expect it TBH.....

After our 1st away win of the season we welcome Wrexham to The London Stadium...

Last night's 3 points were very welcome especially after throwing away the lead....

Performance wise, it was a real mixed bunch IMO, some very bang average performances, but not wanting to sound too negative an away win on a wet, Tuesday evening up North, no complaints from me...Points more important now than performance.

I guess NES will do his usual rotation and throw in the odd surprise as he often does for this upcoming match...

It was interesting to see NES went with Morato instead of Boiro when replacing Scarles, perhaps the experience factor/strength...

KWP should make way for Veltman IMO and 1 or 2 other changes needed, sadly Pablo failed to impress last night, but let's hope he comes right, I like him, but he just needs that 1st goal, I think that will give him a lot of confidence, and he's only 22, so also like quite a few others, young......Also, will Taty be available or will the game come too soon for him....

Ref appointed -

Referee: Donohue, Matthew
Assistant Referee: Byrne, George
Assistant Referee: Gunn-Smith, Matthew
Fourth Official: Nield, Tom

Under the lights on a Friday evening, lets hope it's a great start to the weekend, it's also live on Sky Sports Football & also satellite TV out here, so for those looking for a stream, there should be some available for you......

COYI ⚒️⚒️⚒️
«134567

Comments

  • I wasn't impressed by Kanté, but I've seen a lot of comments on other sites saying how good he looked so idk what to think about his chances of playing. I'd probably have Solomon back in after he had a bit of a rest, and I think that Pablo showed last night that he's most effective with another striker.

    I'd go for something like:
    Hermansen - KWP/Veltman (not sure about either at the moment) Mavropanos Kilman Scarles - Bowen Mukasa Engels Solomon - Pablo - Piroe/Taty (if he's fit)
  • Hermansen
    Veltman - Mavropanos - Kilman - Morato
    Bowen - Engels - Musaka - Solomon
    Pablo
    Piroe
  • Lukerz said:

    Hermansen
    Veltman - Mavropanos - Kilman - Morato
    Bowen - Engels - Musaka - Solomon
    Pablo
    Piroe

    Good selection, but I expect Scarles to start.......
  • I can't keep up with this welter of fixtures. Thought we has the Carabou Cup next! My comment about it must have looked odd....
  • edited September 10
    alderz said:

    I wasn't impressed by Kanté, but I've seen a lot of comments on other sites saying how good he looked so idk what to think about his chances of playing.

    I’m of the same opinion Alderz. I wince every time he gets the ball. It might just be me but I feel he gives the ball away a lot. But every now and then he produces something.
  • edited September 10
    Soucek is not the saviour most are portraying him to be, he is just a tall bloke who is good at corners and free kicks! =)

    Pablo isn't amazing either that is just NES trying to defend his decision to overpay for him! =)
  • Source is no saviour, but he has been a key player for us in the Premier League for years now.

    It will be great to see him back
  • Soucek is not the saviour most are portraying him to be, he is just a tall bloke who is good at corners and free kicks! =)

    Pablo isn't amazing either that is just NES trying to defend his decision to overpay for him! =)

    I reckon we’re going to get a lot of corners while trying to break down teams defending deep and he will bury a lot of them.
  • Soucek is not the saviour most are portraying him to be, he is just a tall bloke who is good at corners and free kicks! =)

    Pablo isn't amazing either that is just NES trying to defend his decision to overpay for him! =)

    I reckon we’re going to get a lot of corners while trying to break down teams defending deep and he will bury a lot of them.
    That's a very good point, although we then risk turning into the Arsenal of the Championship 😱😱😱.
  • I think Soucek will be a class above in the Champo, he will shore up the centre backs when needed and get into attack when needed. I felt we were better with him in the Premier but I think he will be a great asset in this league.
  • edited September 10
    This will be a very tough game - arguably our toughest so far. They are certainly not going to be intimidated or daunted by coming to the stadium given the noise & PR that has been generated by Wrexham over the last few years. They will relish this game. They are also very solid, defensively.

    Going 1-0 up is crucial in this game. Would be a huge 3 points if we could win.
  • Couldn’t name you a Wrexham player other than Kieffer Moore without looking it up.
  • Soucek is not the saviour most are portraying him to be, he is just a tall bloke who is good at corners and free kicks! =)

    Pablo isn't amazing either that is just NES trying to defend his decision to overpay for him! =)

    Glad you're staying positive
  • Lukerz said:

    This will be a very tough game - arguably our toughest so far. They are certainly not going to be intimidated or daunted by coming to the stadium given the noise & PR that has been generated by Wrexham over the last few years. They will relish this game. They are also very solid, defensively.

    Going 1-0 up is crucial in this game. Would be a huge 3 points if we could win.

    See, I think if they come and have a go, I feel better about our chances. It's the ones who shut up shop from the start that we struggle against.
  • I think they will shut up shop & keep it very tight & they are more solid than other sides we have played
  • Soucek is not the saviour most are portraying him to be, he is just a tall bloke who is good at corners and free kicks! =)

    Pablo isn't amazing either that is just NES trying to defend his decision to overpay for him! =)

    I reckon we’re going to get a lot of corners while trying to break down teams defending deep and he will bury a lot of them.
    That's a very good point, although we then risk turning into the Arsenal of the Championship 😱😱😱.
    You mean Champions?
  • Don’t know if I’m being mean but I really want to beat them. Fans probably don’t deserve it but the whole Hollywood ownership thing irritates me.
  • Feel the same outcast

  • Don’t know if I’m being mean but I really want to beat them. Fans probably don’t deserve it but the whole Hollywood ownership thing irritates me.

    Depends if they support Trump or not....
  • Don’t know if I’m being mean but I really want to beat them. Fans probably don’t deserve it but the whole Hollywood ownership thing irritates me.

    I didn't like the fact that (in the stadium at least) we were advertising this match as "Lights. Camera. Action." because it's weird that we're relying on their Hollywoodness for advertising.

    I just don't want us to be a story in their documentary.
  • At least it wasn't "Come and watch Wrexhams superstars" =)
  • Soucek is not the saviour most are portraying him to be, he is just a tall bloke who is good at corners and free kicks! =)

    Pablo isn't amazing either that is just NES trying to defend his decision to overpay for him! =)

    Soucek if very effective in both boxes, he should be a great benefit to us in the Championship.
  • Soucek is not the saviour most are portraying him to be, he is just a tall bloke who is good at corners and free kicks! =)

    Not sure we need a saviour. Three wins on the bounce, second in the league, joint top scorers in the league.
  • edited September 11
    Wrexham missed out on the playoffs by 2pts last season despite losing three of their first six games, drawing one and winning two. This season is slightly better, drawing four, won one, lost one.

    There have been a few changes although Phil Parkinson is now into his sixth season in charge. They signed seven players with five becoming first team regulars and allowed 14 to leave, mostly fringe players and all on frees apart from one

    Their big signing was Sunderland GK Anthony Patterson for a club record £8m, displacing first choice keeper Arthur Okonkwo who played rather well against us and it will be interesting to see how he does when Charlton visit Wrexham in December

    One name that stands out from the departures is Elliot Lee who joined Wrexham in 2022 when they were in the Conference and has become an absolute legend with the fans. He was a key player in three promotion seasons but last season he was dropped to the bench, only made three appearances Carabao Cup matches, was left out of the squad entirely after September and went on loan to Doncaster in January. He had one year left on his contract but has accepted a mutual.

    Two of last summer’s signings made a big impact, AM/FW Josh “Son of Dean” Windass was top scorer with 16 and Welsh CF Kieffer Moore was 2nd top scorer with 13

    Moore has scored two so far, joint top with new arrival Gabon’s LWB Jacques Ekomie (£8m Angers) while another newcomer RWB Danny Imray (£5m Palace) has two assists

    Windass suffered a calf injury during pre-season, he’s played in the last 4 games and started against Burnley on Tuesday but was subbed at half time.

    Parkinson has stuck with a back three since he took over in 2021

    We’ve not played Wrexham since 1997 when they beat us 1-0 at home in the FA Cup 3rd round replay. Our first meeting was back in 1978, we’ve only played 13 times, seven of those were in the FA Cup and our record is won three, drawn six, lost four.

    What are the odds on a draw?
  • For anyone who looks our for the ref appointed, there has been a change, as follows...
    Referee: Donohue, Matthew Barrott, Sam
    Assistant Referee: Byrne, George
    Assistant Referee: Gunn-Smith, Matthew
    Fourth Official: Nield, Tom
  • He has obviously been a naughty boy as he is normally a EPL referee. Here is our record when he has officiated -

    Burnley 1-2 West Ham - November 2023
    West Ham 0-0 Brighton - January 2024
    West Ham 0-3 Chelsea - September 2024
    West Ham 1-2 Nottingham Forest - May 2025
    Everton 1-1 West Ham - September 2025
    West Ham 0-0 Bournemouth - February 2026

    In the defeat to Chelsea, West Ham were denied a penalty when Crysencio Summerville was held by Wesley Fofana in the box.
  • @Fortuneseeker , not a great record with him as ref, then again, we weren’t exactly wonderful the last couple of seasons with any ref 🤣😢⚒️👍🏻
  • Wrexham will be missing CB Max Cleworth who had started the last three but had to go off after 30 minutes against Burnley with a hamstring

    Noticeably his return to the starting XI coincided with Wrexham's two clean sheets this season although Burnley scored 4 minutes before he went off.
Sign In or Register to comment.