EFL Championship : Bolton V West Ham away, Tuesday 8th Sept @ 8pm (UK Time)

1235»

Comments

  • 2-3 FT, get in, top of the table.
  • #MASSIVE
  • edited September 8
    It's all about the points, performance a mixed bunch IMO, but we got the points at The Toughsheet Community Stadium....

    COYI ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • He had a great game, but did Bowen not used to have a right foot? If so he could have had 4/5 tonight!
  • The last time we beat Bolton away I was in Y10
  • Go away.
  • Anybody know why only Bowen got booked for jumping the hoarding when most our team did it too
  • It’s only ever the goalscorer. Idk if that’s the rule but it’s what happens
  • Top of the table despite missing 3 points from a 91st minute burnley equaliser and a93rd minute Taty missed penalty
  • I think yesterday showed, again, that we will have more quality going forward than almost all other teams this year. If Nuno can get our defence tightened up we’ll be on for a very successful season.
  • Last night was a real topsy Turvey game, for us, great, Bolton, not so much....

    Performance and formation wise IMO a real mix, what was Kante doing as a 2nd striker in the 1st half, well that's where he seemed where he was playing....Strange one NES...

    Thought Mavropanos was really strong, 2nd to Bowen as my MOM....

    Scarles, to start with yet again looked out of his depth, and nervous, but fair play he did grow into the game and improve, but @Slacker choosing him as his MOM, that's IMO either left field, click bait or a sympathy vote, no offence, just IMO, but hey, fair play if that's who you really believe was the MOM....

    KWP was less impressive for most, he gives his all, but sometimes it's just not enough..

    Mukasa for the most was not really involved, as like he has been of late, Pablo continues to try, but not much more....

    Kante seems to be NES' teacher's pet, he's an odd one, still very raw, but sometimes I'm seeing a very average player.....but he's only 20 I think, so I'm not going to rip into him..

    Last mention for the ref last night, David Webb, 1st time he's ever reffed us and IMO the weakest ref we've had so far this season, and that list includes the infamous Bob Madley...

    A win's a win, especially being without 1or 2 usual starters.....

    COYI

  • steve said:

    Pablo reminds me of a golden retriever running around after his tail Not really knowing what he's doing ,But we still love him =)



    My young lab/retriever arriving for a bit of sympathy after unsuccessfully chasing his tale for the longest time.
  • I must admit being very relieved at the final whistle yesterday, as we always looked likely to let another one in.

    I think that we have one of, if not, the best squads in terms of depth with quite a few new faces to try and fit together. Hopefully with a few more games they can gel and make things a little easier for my poor old ticker.
  • The problem for me is that I can see a lot of teams happy to give us possession, and we don't manage to break down some of these teams too easily. However, we always look likely to concede......
  • MrsGrey said:

    Nuno kicking the seats when Pablo doesn't score.

    What will he do when Pablo does 😆

    I doubt we will ever find out 😄

  • It is all about points and we were able to secure them.

    Agree with prior comments re Kante, not going to rip him a new one but imo, the jury is still out.

    Slightly worried that for a decent spell in the first half we managed to make Bolton look good, and I don’t think they are.

    Mavro was my motm, a couple of towering headers resulting in a goal and a great save, he also gave it all at the back.
  • I thought Mavro was comfortably poorer than Kilman. He had a few moments where his awful distribution was on show, lost the ball on the edge of the Bolton box when he shouldn't have been there and had to run back and give away a free kick in a dangerous area, poor clearance led to the first goal. Aside from those things he was very dominating, but I thought Kilman was too, and didn't have the errors that Mavropanos had.
  • edited September 9
    I did like the look of Morato when he came on and his willingness to go forward.
  • edited September 9
    I thought we did ok considering we were missing Tatty up front. I thought Bolton actually played better than other teams have against us and did cause problems at times. We were fortunate to win in the end and a draw wouldn't have been too unfair. We did get the points however and that's all that really matters.

    I am feeling our squad has a decent looking balance to it at present after the window in that we have pace on both flanks now and one the bench in Bowen, Soloman and Austbo, we also have some strength in Kante, who really does look a handful even in this raw form. He is frustrating at times as his first touch can often break down our own momentum, but when he drives he looks a problem. I am still not convinced that Kilman and Mavro together will be enough at centre back, but I liked the look of Morato when he came on and feel he may make his way into the squad. I reckon if we had Desai still they could hand us the trophy now, but as is we may still concede more than we should.

    I like that we now have a bench and with Soucek to return I really can't see a side that will be able to better us this season.

    My moment of the match wasn't a goal but the determination of Mavro to get back when he was caught high up the pitch, he looked like a man running to save his family, rather than defend a football match. loved it!
  • The problem for me is that I can see a lot of teams happy to give us possession, and we don't manage to break down some of these teams too easily. However, we always look likely to concede......

    You say that but we're the joint.top scorers in the league, 14 goals in 6 games

    While I do think we're slightly overperforming in that aspect, i think the evidence shows we're breaking teams down pretty effectively


  • Scarles, to start with yet again looked out of his depth, and nervous, but fair play he did grow into the game and improve, but @Slacker choosing him as his MOM, that's IMO either left field, click bait or a sympathy vote, no offence, just IMO, but hey, fair play if that's who you really believe was the MOM....



    Click bait?Left field?Sympathy vote?
    None of the above I’m afraid, I just saw a young kid have a dodgy start, get booked very early on and grow in confidence to put on a MOM performance, particularly in the second half.
    All IMO of course.

  • Given his start & yellow, Scarles managed the game very well
  • edited September 9
    Slacker said:



    Scarles, to start with yet again looked out of his depth, and nervous, but fair play he did grow into the game and improve, but @Slacker choosing him as his MOM, that's IMO either left field, click bait or a sympathy vote, no offence, just IMO, but hey, fair play if that's who you really believe was the MOM....



    Click bait?Left field?Sympathy vote?
    None of the above I’m afraid, I just saw a young kid have a dodgy start, get booked very early on and grow in confidence to put on a MOM performance, particularly in the second half.
    All IMO of course.

    And of course you're entitled to your opinion, if you believed he deserved it, that's the thing with football, we all see different things, even though the majority saw Bowen with a few others, Mavro/Engels, who both IMO did well as their MOM....But one person, being yourself, sees something totally different, that's it.....
  • I must admit, I am enjoying this season a lot.

    It’s nice to win a few games in a row.
  • It is fun so far, we play often and are approaching matches on the front foot and scoring goals. The Conference cup win showed it doesn't really matter about the competition if you are winning it. That Cup is pretty poor regard standard yet we celebrated it like a World Cup. It would be hard to take being mid table in the championship but at present its fun and I am enjoying it more than I would were we just outside the relegation zone in the Premiership. Long may it continue, I am hoping Jay is still on match thread come Christmas.
  • Note from mods:

    I've edited this discussion a bit. You may find your post has been removed because it is responding to something that no longer exists!

    Can I also ask that if you think a post is wumming, you alert one of the mods rather than saying so on the thread. Because it isn't always clear about the intentions of the poster, and then things escalate in a way that was never meant.

    Thank you.
Sign In or Register to comment.