Ipswich (H) 3pm Saturday 5th October (not on TV)

124»

Comments

• If they keep playing Phillips and Johnson they will be in trouble =) notice i said that after the game =)
  • A much needed confidence boost before the international break and two difficult matches against Spurs and Man Utd. I really hope Utd don't get rid of Ten Hag during the break.
  • Strange game, think the game both flattered them and flattered us

There didn't seem to be loads of chances but when they came they were big ones, for both teams

Thought Tobido was class, he seemed a huge presence and grew in other game, Delap was getting nothing off him

Bowen superb, thought Antonio and Kudus were also great. Paqueta was hot and cold, very sloppy but also showed some of his creativity. Again looked better on the left

Thought Areola was poor. My seat was at the other end of their goal, but he looked like he should've done better. And some of his passing was atrocious, just booted it outta play whenever they applied proper pressure, didn't look comfortable at all. Will give him the benefit that he did a great save from the header in the 2nd half

I think we are desperate for a player like Guido, he always wanted the ball and was calm under pressure.... however.... he just doesn't seem like he's built for the Prem, he's so slow and so easy to play around. He just doesn't shield the defence enough, and that's kinda his job. Is a shame as you can see his class.

Another note was that the atmosphere today was so poor. Losing to Chelsea you can understand but we won and you'd not know it outside the 1 minute of celebrating the goals. Really was quiet, so few songs sung and Ipswich drowned us out even at 4-1

Great performance, very much needed and great to get the 3 points in the bag
  • Overall a good day at the office, an important three points but even more so, an important morale boosting performance.

A number of really strong individual perforamances, our central defence looks like one that inspires confidence and up top we look dangerous,,,even Antonio looked more like his unplayable best, only worrying note for me is Areola, he is a decent shot stopper but his general distribution was really poor and his confidence on the ball seems shaky.

Well done lads, really enjoyed the game
  • Pleased to see Antonio getting some positive comments , he was significantly involved in all 4 goals
  • Paqueta seems to have cut out some of the nonsense in his game. E.g. showing off, losing possession near our area, and trying to kick every Argentine player. If he still tries the difficult pass it's OK by me, because if one works it often results in a goal chance.
  • Very clear to see some of the patterns of play coming together that we are clearly working on in training. Nice, one & two touch, movement off the ball & attacking intent.
  • Agree with Lukerz, there was more evidence of attacking intent and positive passages of play - we got a glimpse of what might be to come
  • 17.15 train from Stratford International only 6 carriages already full !
  • Couple of things: 1. Antonio now at 83 goals, which means he's one behind Ray Stewart. 2. Bowen now at 63 goals, which ties him with Viv Gibbins as the 20th top scorer in club history, and just 2 behind Julian Dicks
  • 17.15 train from Stratford International only 6 carriages already full !

Class 395s are all 6-car units although they can couple two together to make a 12-car train
  • From BBC

Premier League record goalscorer Alan Shearer says Saturday's 4-1 thumping of Ipswich was a "big win" for Julen Lopetegui as he recorded his first home league victory as West Ham boss.
    "West Ham played some really good stuff, especially in forward positions," Shearer told Match of the Day.
    "They were just too good for Ipswich; their passing, moving - and they wanted it more when they got balls into the box. That was a regular thing.
    "They looked quick and really skilful in forward positions. The switches of play were sharp. Mohammed Kudus, Jarrod Bowen, Lucas Paqueta and Michail Antonio were all on form.
    "You've got all those guys clicking and they had 13 shots on target which shows you how dominant they were. They were enjoying themselves and they were just too quick.
    "Their passing and movement was too much for Ipswich. They all wanted the ball.
    "It was such an important game that they had to win. There was massive pressure on them.
    "Big win for Julen Lopetegui and great for the fans because there would have been huge pressure if they hadn't won. Thoroughly deserved."