The first Match Thread - Home to Villa, 17th Aug - 17:30

Comments

• So new season, new manager and a big splurge of dosh on new players.
    Pointless all of it. We’ll lose today and will be relegated by March.
    Yup, the wrong cup - again.🤬
  • West Ham United: Areola, Coufal, Mavropanos, Kilman, Emerson, Rodríguez , Souček, Paquetá, Bowen ©, Kudus, Antonio
    Subs: Fabiański (GK), Cresswell, Todibo, Wan-Bissaka, Ward-Prowse, Irving, Summerville, Füllkrug, Ings
  • So Watkins starts
    And Duran on the bench

• Shame Fullkrug isn't starting, and worried about Mavro. Also surprised Soucek is in the team ahead of JWP - wonder if Lop has taught Soucek how to pass.
  • What a bench we have!
  • No place on the bench for Zouma, Aguerd or Cornet. Presumably, all on the way out. Zouma saga is still going on.
  • Same starting 11 as against Celta Vigo, isn't it?
  • Looking at that team is Moyes back =)
  • Beers - check
    Peanuts - check
    Sofa to hide behind - check
    Tissues to dry my eyes - check

Looks like I'm all set for the match.
  • I must admit I thought they could easily have been given an early penalty.
  • Great just great
  • Not that they needed the help, dreadful start.
  • Areola static on his line.
    Maybe he thought Zouma was going to get it.
  • Really poor, two yards out and no one close to him, Humpth
  • edited August 17
    New manager but same story. Looked like Antonio was supposed to be in there but was asleep.
  • Way to easy through our midfield there,
  • Decent save by Areola there but how was their player allowed to advance so far so easily?
  • Do the players know pre season has finished
  • MIAHammer said:

Areola static on his line.
    Maybe he thought Zouma was going to get it.

I'm not sure how close the first jumpers (that went under the ball) were; I think they made it difficult for Areola to decide to come for the ball, but with hindsight he really should have come for it.
  • Beers - check
    Peanuts - check
    Sofa to hide behind - check
    Tissues to dry my eyes - check

Looks like I'm all set for the match.

Gonna need more beer and a bigger sofa 😂🤣😂.
  • Well we’re having more possession which is what was wanted but now we need to learn what you’re supposed to do with it when you have it.
  • Considering the second half of last season, this is about what I was expecting.
  • Haven't watched any of preseason, nor do I expect it to gel quickly so this isn't really surprising

Does highlight how important Alvarez is, he's the real ball winner in the team, gives us more steel

One thing I've noticed early is Rodriguez looks quite slow. Maybe fitness, maybe sharpness or maybe Villa midfielders are just quick, but he does look like he lacks pace which is a bit worrying
  • Should've been 2-0

Trying a higher line but Villa front line are too quick and we aren't getting it right
  • What on earth were we doing? What a let off.
  • Antonio looks like he has never played before, poor touch and no apparent awareness
  • I was really hoping to see a more aggressive press -
  • I know he's been a good servant to the club, but Antonio winds me up so much when I watch him play now. Can't see how he's still starting games; either start Füllkrug, or play Bowen up front and have Summerville on the left.
  • edited August 17
    This is going to be a long hard watch. Can’t say it’s down to new players not gelling as only two of them are playing. Seems to be down to their being incapable of learning a new style.