‘Legendary’ Premier League

edited May 28 in Football Chatter
Was thinking the other day following Ipswich & Southampton’s promotions & the PL having a more ‘nostalgic’ feel to it, what would be my all time ‘preferred, legendary’ PL table.

I’d probably go with:

Aston Villa
Arsenal
Birmingham City
Chelsea
Everton
Fulham
Leeds United
Leicester City
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United
Middlesbrough
Newcastle United
Nottingham Forest
Portsmouth
Southampton
Sunderland
Tottenham Hotspur
Wolverhampton Wanderers
West Ham United

Teams I debated - Blackburn Rovers, Derby County.

What would you go for & what reasons would you give for your selection of teams?

Comments

• Definitely Blackburn ahead of Portsmouth is one that jumps out at me.
  • I mean, Blackburn have won it, so deserve to be in the list, IMO. And like Buffy, at Pompey's expense.
  • It's not just winning the title, they've had 18 seasons in the PL compared to just 7 for Portsmouth.
  • Definitely no Man City 😂
  • West Brom instead of Birmingham
    Blackburn or Bolton instead of Portsmouth
  • Guess it depends on your age and era you liked best. No QPR?
  • I would want to see Derby in mine, certainly ahead of Pompey
  • For me, Blackburn, Derby and Coventry instead of Portsmouth, Birmingham and Middlesborough.
  • You've only really got 10 to play with. Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs, Villa, Newcastle, Man City and us have been in 28+ of the 33 Premier League seasons, so you need to include those. Probably Southampton should be included, as they've done 25 seasons. And It's hard to argue against Blackburn and Leicester, as they've both won the league. So then I guess you've got 7 spots left.

If you just went by the most seasons in the league to fill the remaining spots, you're looking at Fulham (18), Palace (16), Sunderland (16), Leeds (15), Middlesbrough (15), Bolton (13) and West Brom (13).

That leaves a few clubs out in the cold that I would personally want to include. For me, Wolves, Brighton, QPR, and maybe even Brentford are teams that I think of as proper Premier League clubs. I'd also go want to include Wimbledon for nostalgia and family allegiance, but I'll forget them as they're an odd case.

Leeds were out of the league for so long that I don't really think of them as PL, and West Brom are such a yoyo club that they've never felt anything like established to me. Then I'm torn on Sunderland and Middlesbrough, because both feel like the exact thing thing as each other to me.

So, I think I sub out those three for Wolves, Brighton and QPR. I know QPR doesn't make sense particularly given my justification for taking out the other teams, but I don't care.

Arsenal
    Aston Villa
    Blackburn Rovers
    Bolton Wanderers
    Brighton & Hove Albion
    Chelsea
    Crystal Palace
    Everton
    Fulham
    Leicester City
    Liverpool
    Manchester City
    Manchester United
    Newcastle United
    Queens Park Rangers
    Southampton
    Sunderland
    Tottenham Hotspur
    West Ham United
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
  • edited May 29
    Simply going by seasons spent in the Prem

33 out of 33
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man Utd
    Spurs

Villa
    Newcastle

Man City
    West Ham (amazingly)

Saints

Blackburn
    Fulham
    Leicester

Palace
    Sunderland

Leeds
    Middlesbrough

Bolton
    West Brom

Norwich, Stoke and Wolves all on 10, Coventry and Burnley on 9 and a load of teams on 8
  • Load of teams on 8 your standards are slipping ASLEF =)
  • My apologies bout I’m currently sat at the bar of the Outback Australian restaurant in Charleston WV waiting for my take away while the future Mrs shrugged is snoozing in the Hilton suites totally knackered after we both spent all day cleaning her apartment before we fly to London on Friday

And I’m doing this on my IPhone

Normal service will be resumed after the weekend
  • edited May 30
    Some have mentioned QPR, this is a great watch with some good old style interviews at the end. Paul Allen looks and sounds about 14!

And a great Ian Dowie header to take the lead.

• What I consider the glory days of QPR were in the old First Division before the Premier League. They had the likes of Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Gerry Francis, etc.
  • QPR have only spent seven seasons in the Premier League although they were in the top flight from 1983 to 1996 with the likes of Les Ferdinand, Andy Sinton, Darren Peacock, Andy Impey and Trevor Sinclair.