Championship Play-off Final

Leeds v Southampton to see which team can bounce straight back after being relegated last season.

Flynn Downes has had a cracking season for Southampton; if they win then I guess we'd be able to get a better price for him should he not be keen on returning to the fold.

We've been linked with Kyle Walker-Peters of Southampton, and Gnonto and Summerville of Leeds, so I'm guessing those targets may be more attainable should they fail to get promoted today.

Although I'm no fan of either club, I guess the Flynn Downes factor means I'll be supporting Southampton today (after the Monaco Grand Prix that is 😂🤣😂.

Comments

• Saints for me ,Don't like Leeds since the 70s
  • Southampton score.
  • What is the situation with Flynn Downes regarding length of contract and whether he returns to West Ham?
    Watching him today, he reminds me of Declan Rice and definitely one to keep if it was up to me.
  • He’s surely got to be under consideration at least before we decide to let him go. The club may consider it an easy way to raise cash, though. Maybe £15m or so.
  • I don't think it's worth letting him go if it's only going to raise £15m or so.
  • Personally I don't think he got a particularly fair crack of the whip under Moyes; he had very little game time in the PL, and what he did get seemed to be out of position, so I think it's tough to say how PL ready he is.

However, it may be that he'd much rather stay at Southampton under a manager he's twice thrived under, than return to us where he probably didn't have as good an experience, although obviously we've got a new manager coming in so a clean slate there.

It's a tough one to call imo, I really don't know which way this will go.
  • Leeds come close, off the crossbar and down, but out rather than in.
  • Downes in the book.
  • 0-1 FT, Southampton are promoted, and dirty Leeds have another season in the fizzy pop.
  • Personally I don't think he got a particularly fair crack of the whip under Moyes; he had very little game time in the PL, and what he did get seemed to be out of position, so I think it's tough to say how PL ready he is.

However, it may be that he'd much rather stay at Southampton under a manager he's twice thrived under, than return to us where he probably didn't have as good an experience, although obviously we've got a new manager coming in so a clean slate there.

It's a tough one to call imo, I really don't know which way this will go.

Who decides? If West Ham want him back does he have any say in it, seeing there's still 3years + 1year option remaining on his contract.
  • I'm hoping/assuming that his performances were monitored during the season plus obviously how/where he was played. He seems in today's market a player worth more than 15M That's about a below average cast off player and he's better than that. The whole point of loans for me is to help OUR players and hopefully it will help him return to the squad with renewed confidence and hope (I guess how the new manager and staff treat him will play a big part)
  • Who decides? If West Ham want him back does he have any say in it, seeing there's still 3years + 1year option remaining on his contract.

Obviously he's our player to keep if we want to, but is there much point in keeping an unhappy player (especially one who few would consider a key player) if you can get a good price for him?

• If I was him ,would want to stay at saints .They seem to love him there .And he has had his best season
  • After watching a few Leeds games this season can't say I want any of there players
  • steve said:

If I was him ,would want to stay at saints .They seem to love him there .And he has had his best season

I'm sure I've seen that he does.
  • edited May 26
    So with Saints back in the prem I just read they have to pay Man City 20 mill for Harwood bellis (not sure about the spelling ) which was part of there loan agreement if they went up ,we should have down that with Downes
  • steve said:

So with Saints back in the prem I just read they have to pay Man City 20 mill for Harwood bellis (not sure about the spelling ) which was part of there loan agreement if they went up ,we should have down that with Downes

Let them buy Harwood Bellis, then we can do a swap deal of Downes for Harwood Bellis.
  • From the Saints forum

Posted 13 minutes ago
    23 minutes ago, said:
    oh, sign Flynn Downes at all costs!!!

This. Downes makes us tick. Delighted that THB will be a Saint, but this is more important.
  • I thought they were two very mediocre teams to be honest.
  • Hammers news saying Saints have on option to buy Downes for 12 mil .Anyone know if that's true if so guess they will do it
  • steve said:

Hammers news saying Saints have on option to buy Downes for 12 mil .Anyone know if that's true if so guess they will do it

Having got promoted, and with the season he had for them, then yes, they'd definitely do it I'm sure at that price, but I don't remember them having an option tbh.

• edited May 26

Downes in the book.

Yeah I seem to remember he was looking like the new John Moncur last season

11 yellow cards in 37 appearances this season
  • I really enjoyed watching the game today. It brought back memories of being at the play off final against Blackpool when Vaz Te scored the winner for us!
  • If he has a bit of Rice about him then we should be integrating him in the squad, not settling for 12M!