Paqueta Charged (Catastrophise here!)

124»

Comments

• Apparently The Times claims Paqueta will be available "until the disciplinary process has been completed" which won't be until close to the end of the season or perhaps after

I don't have a Times subscription but if anyone does maybe they could confirm this

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/football/article/lucas-paqueta-play-west-ham-spot-fixing-charges-hdkcp7h7p
  • edited July 18
    This is taking longer than some quite complex criminal cases to come to completion. I wonder if it's due to them not having the power to seize devices or access to electronic records that the police would and not quite knowing how to proceed without them. This is all conjecture but possibly they know what's happened as it's quite clear from bets placed and their location but can't gather the evidence to prove it, and yet are hoping to secure a conviction on suspicion alone rather than accept they are powerless to enforce their own rules.

If they are really determined they may convict on suspicion so he sues them and he will then be obliged to release the records needed to prove his innocence.

I hope his head is in the right place for the start of the new season.
  • His representatives say he is co-operating fully. I assume that means he has given the FA (or whoever) access to his messages... otherwise I'm sure there would have been public comment pushing back on the claim of cooperation?
  • I cant see him being found guilty on a hunch or in the hope he will sue them to find out the truth. If found guilty he will probably appeal to CAS.
  • It seems like it has been dragging on, but he was only charged in May.
  • It will be interesting to see if he actually comes back to the UK.
  • It will be interesting to see if he actually comes back to the UK.

Why wouldn't he?
  • edited July 18
    IronHerb said:

It will be interesting to see if he actually comes back to the UK.

Why wouldn't he?
    There’s still reporting that he wants to sign for Flamengo, and suggestion that any ban from the FA may not be upheld in Brazil. I guess if those things are true (and I take them with a fistful of salt) he might not come back and just stay there to try and force the move.
  • Won't have long to find out. He's due back on the 29th/30th July, maybe join up in America.