Paqueta Charged (Catastrophise here!)

Comments

• It may be kind of circumstantial but it’s a huge coincidence, if there is such a thing, that on a tiny island loads of new betting accounts are created and bets placed with maximum stakes on his getting booked in certain games 6000 miles away.
    Apparently Betway referred the matter when bets were placed through them too from Europe. This investigation has been going on for about a year so I think they must feel they have some evidence sufficient to charge him.
  • Looks serious for Paqueta. Will he survive as a player?
  • For sure, as I say, if that's what has happened, it is pretty damning imo, it's just a question of whether the FA will make a strong enough case if they can't prove communication between Paqueta and those making the bets.
  • The burden of proof for the FA is only “the balance of probabilities”. Substantive circumstantial evidence should be enough.
  • Yeah, it's a far lower bar to get a guilty verdict than in a court of law.
  • Comes down to how good his Lawyer is =)
  • MrsGrey said:

It's a serious charge and you would imagine after all this time they wouldn't bring it unless they feel they have evidence. I may be doing him wrong but I can just see it being true, there is just something about him that you think he could be that stupid.

Souckek, Ward-Prowse, Fab and most other players you just think, no I can't see it.Paquetta you just think yeah I can imagine that.

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm curious what the 'something about him' is that makes you think he's a crook.
    I said that I think he could be that Stupid, you have introduced the word crook, but of course if guilty it would amount to that as well.

I think it's just something in his personality that I observe, when he first arrived he was often making a huge meal of things trying to con the ref, he wouldn't be alone in that but it's not something you like to see. The sending off in the Europa tie, everyone knew he was on a yellow, yet he made a deliberate cynical foul out of retaliation or frustration, in my book that's an intelligence thing. You have used the word crook and I guess that would apply if he is guilty, but my point was really about him not being that bright an individual, the sort of guy who could hatch a silly scam without thinking it through.

I recognise we don't know the exact reason for the charge yet, only that it relates to bookings in certain matches. There was talk at the time about betting patterns in his home town in Brazil. If so I am thinking he was perhaps stupid enough to tell friends and family to bet on something he would ensure happens, so they can profit. That in my book makes him a bit stupid if he could not predict it showing up. If, and that If will be shown now as the evidence is heard, but if that is the case I believe it would stand as reasonable grounds for being a bit stupid and in turn that making you crooked.

It's all speculation at present however and innocent until proven guilty, but my point was that I personally could see it being true regard Paquetta, where as if that story originated about Soucek I could probably hold out more hope that it wasn't.

We will have to wait and see whether my feeling is right or not, when details emerge and evidence offered. I hope I am wrong.
  • MIAHammer said:

He should be investigated for his tackle in the first leg of the Bayern Leverkusen match 🤔

Said that at the time
  • Maybe the tackle against Leverkusen was a deliberate stupid foul by him not linked to betting, but one that he could use as evidence to suggest it's just how I play.

I would imagine every yellow card he has received recently) would have been investigated.
  • The algorithms tracking the behavior on betting patterns are extremely sophisticated so I have to believe that the “ unusual” betting behavior exists and has been detected, the trick as Buffy said earlier, is tieing it to the player.

They have been looking at this for at least a year so I can only assume that they have found at least some evidence of communication in support of the charges.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that so we will see how it pans out but right now, this does not look good at all
  • Copied from another source

The real reason that the FA had to act now on Paqueta.
    The end of the season came and sure enough, the FA have officially charged Paqueta.

There has been a presumption of guilt from some quarters as video of the bookings in question circulate online and social media.

The inference has been that the FA “must have” hard evidence against Paqueta to have charged him.

But the real reason the FA have charged Paqueta is so that they avoided the potential lawsuit being brought against them by Paqueta’s entourage and to now leave the matter in the hands of an independent panel.

By officially charging Paqueta over the allegations the case now goes to an independent three-person panel who will decide the Brazilian’s fate.

Of course that does not mean Paqueta will get off. But it also doesn’t make it inevitable he will be found guilty just because he has been charged – as many seem to be suggesting.

Three-person panel to decide fate

The panel will be completely independent and will have to make the decision based on the evidence before them.

Whether that goes beyond the video footage we must wait and see.

So while Paqueta and West Ham find themselves in a very serious situation, it’s not necessarily an open and shut case – and it’s not curtains yet.

• If there's no documentary evidence ( can't really believe that there wouldn't be) and they are relying just on match footage, I can't see how he can be found guilty.

If it was me in those circs I'd sue for libel. Put the burden of proof back on to the accusers.
  • MrsGrey said:

If there's no documentary evidence ( can't really believe that there wouldn't be) and they are relying just on match footage, I can't see how he can be found guilty.

If it was me in those circs I'd sue for libel. Put the burden of proof back on to the accusers.

At the beginning of all this I read that the evidence was of his own family and friends on the island of Paqueta placing large bets on him receiving yellow cards at certain times in games. That would be hard evidence in terms of proving “spot” betting but it then needs to be tied to the player himself.

• MrsGrey said:

If there's no documentary evidence ( can't really believe that there wouldn't be) and they are relying just on match footage, I can't see how he can be found guilty.

That would be the route to go down but the FA if they are charging him must have some kind of ironclad proof otherwise they open themselves up to multiple lawsuits. As if Paqueta was to challenge it in court and won, then that opens the door for West ham to follow suit etc.
  • edited May 24
    The most high profile people on Paqueta island are related to him.
    No idea who placed the bets but there was a lot of them made and they were at the top end of limits and in specific games. Most of them were new accounts set up.
    Some of the bets were placed in Europe through Betway who also reported suspicious activity. It wasn’t the FA who started this, they’re just one of the bodies involved. The commission generally leave things to the governing body to investigate and take action. Dependent upon what the independent board decide the FA will determine the football punishment but it doesn’t rule out criminal proceedings.
    This is not a simple bettings issue ala Toney etc.

• The activity was reported to the Sports Betting Intelligence Unit which then reported it to the FA among others
  • DJ it doesn’t have to be “tied” into the player as they use probability as per

The balance of probability standard means that a court is satisfied an event occurred if the court considers that, on the evidence, the occurrence of the event was more likely than not.

In this instance it will be the independent board rather than a court.
  • I think some of the charges are related to not providing information and documents but that charge if found against him could not carry anything like a punishment for spot fixing.

If the details are large bets on a yellow card market and new accounts it would be very suspicious but there would be a closer scrutiny of this accounts. A yellow card market is a very periphery market and would attract far fewer and smaller bets compared to winner, correct score and scorer markets. Someone opening an account to place a large sum on such a market is suspicious and regard the existing accounts it's easy to see if someone thinks they know something others don't as if they bet in £20s and then suddenly a £1000 bet, or if there are no other yellow card bets in that account previously it's all very suspicious, and damning if some of those accounts are linked to family members. I am fascinated to soon find out what they have.

To take a guys livelihood away from him and a clubs valuable asset in my view must demand actual evidence that would be expected within a criminal trial, rather than that all looks very suspicious.
  • etc.

Can’t remember if they traced the bets specifically to Paquetá Island (pop 3000) or to the whole of the city of Rio de Janeiro (pop 6.2m) or even the state of Rio de Janeiro (pop 16m)

Whichever they will need pretty compelling evidence such as records of phone calls, text messages, WhatsApp, between him and those who were placing the bets
  • Apparently Claret & Hugh are saying that the FA have decided to charge now to avoid a lawsuit from Paqueta's representatives. The case now rests with an independent 3 man panel.

Could be that Paqueta is really pushing for this to be cleared up as it's currently blocking a move to Man City; might mean that he's confident they don't have enough evidence for the spot-fixing charges to stick, and might also explain the additional "non-cooperation" charges as the FA are keen to get him on something even if they have doubts getting him on the main charges.
  • I can’t see this really as it’s not the FA instigating this. They’re doing the investigating and charging as it’s football related involving an English based player but they’re doing it on behalf of the Gaming Commission and Sports Betting Intelligence Unit. The SBIU hand over the investigating to the governing body of the sports involved to deal with as a civil matter as it’s generally quicker. I’m not sure Paqueta’s lawyers would have a case to sue the FA as it can be deflected back to the commissions and then get turned into a lengthy criminal investigation.
    The FA charging Paqueta based upon whatever evidence they believe they have still does not preclude criminal investigations taking place. If he’s found guilty and banned for whatever length of time that wouldn’t redress the money aspect.
    In any event if he’s found guilty he plays for nobody, if not guilty he plays for City. Either way I doubt he plays for us again but we get a fee for the latter.
  • I'm way more hopeful if they've charged him at this time to avoid stuff from his legal team. At the end of the day, selfishly, I don't want the club to be financially affected by any of this. Obviously I don't want him to be found guilty either in case that's not clear
  • Is it still actually nailed on that he's Citeh-bound if he's cleared of these charges?
  • According to reports a fee and terms had been agreed last summer and he himself had said he wanted it sorted this summer so he can complete signing for City.
    Now he’s been charged, maybe they’ll be a bit reticent with the transfer.
  • edited May 24
    Even without this, do you think that Pep, having seen his performances over this season, is still interested in him?
    To my mind, he just doesn't seem like a Pep kind of player, too ill-disciplined for a start.
  • So, good news, of a sort. I just had a dream that Paqueta was playing for us on or near my next birthday (end of April). So either:

a) He's found guilty but gets less than a year's ban
    b) He's found guilty but is allowed to play while it's being appealed
    c) He's found innocent, but after the summer window closes and he plays all next season for us
    d) He's found innocent, but City and others decide he's got too much baggage for a move just yet.

Or, I suppose, my dream isn't prophetic 🤔🤔🤔.
  • Who do you think you are? Joseph, with an amazing technicolour dreamcoat hahaha
  • Funny that, in my dream, he is found innocent and someone pays us £85m for him.
  • Apparently Paqueta's lawyers have asked for an extension to reply to the charges; the date was originally set for today so hopefully it's been granted.
  • Does he have Man City Lawyers then =)