Awards for the season. HOTY etc

Seems like the old system of a posh venue, fancy dinner etc has been dropped.

Personally, I think that's a good thing because it had to take place before the end of the season. And a 'big night out' felt to me like a distraction.

So they did the awards today on the pitch. I admit that I wasn't aware voting was happening because I don't go on the club website much these days.

But what a great day for young George, named Young HOTY on the day he scored a goal!

Other winners:

https://www.whufc.com/news/bowen-kudus-coufal-areola-earthy-and-mayers-win-202324-west-ham-united-player-awards

Was Bowen Moyes' first signing? Twas a good'un.

Comments

• MrsGrey said:

Seems like the old system of a posh venue, fancy dinner etc has been dropped.

Fancy dress? Like pirates, vampires, etc?
    MrsGrey said:

Was Bowen Moyes' first signing? Twas a good'un.

Surprisingly his first signing was Darren Randolph as backup to Fabianski while loaning Roberto out

Bowen was his second signing, Soucek on loan his third
  • Moral: make two good early signings and you're halfway there. See Sam & Nolan. Wonder how many managers can match that?
  • Always thought Bowen was going to be a good prem player (and didnt expect us to be able to get him)
  • It looks like Areola feels like he should have won HOTY after sharing his wifes post on instagram.
    Great for the dressing room.

https://www.westhamzone.com/news/west-ham-united-keeper-alphonse-areola-wife-fumes-at-player-of-the-year-verdict/
  • I am not sure what she is even getting at? He had some great games and allowed us to not miss Fabianski who is arguably the best keeper we have ever had, alongside Parkes and Ludo in my book, which is a real feat in itself. But I doubt many would have put him ahead of Bowen and Kudus this season.

Both he and her not the brightest for sharing this.
  • Was it done as a serious post or just a bit of banter. The trouble with the written word is there is no nuance to it and people will take things at face value.
    I know this full well from being on here at times. 😉
  • If she or anyone feels that anyone can top Bowens contribution then good luck with that (but feel free to make a fool of youtrself and embarrass your husband too IMO)
  • Bazshuayi said:

If she or anyone feels that anyone can top Bowens contribution then good luck with that (but feel free to make a fool of youtrself and embarrass your husband too IMO)

Obviously there’s still one game to go, but for what it’s worth, users of this forum have voted Kudus to be our player of the year, not Bowen. So good luck to us!
  • alderz said:

Bazshuayi said:

If she or anyone feels that anyone can top Bowens contribution then good luck with that (but feel free to make a fool of youtrself and embarrass your husband too IMO)

Obviously there’s still one game to go, but for what it’s worth, users of this forum have voted Kudus to be our player of the year, not Bowen. So good luck to us!
    Dani Dyer has disliked this post =)
  • alderz said:

Bazshuayi said:

But when voters decide not to vote when we get beat then you will get a skewed result.
  • alderz said:

Bazshuayi said:

As a super statto, you know that all the users' votes show is who was MOTM most times.
  • Yeah but the purpose of the whole thing is to try to get a more considered view of the season and who’s played well. Also, as a super statto I know how data collected for one thing is routinely used for other things too 😉
  • Lost me.
  • I just saw that, Mrs Areola isn't going to be happy; hubby didn't even make the shortlist of 4.
  • I’m fine with people voting for Kudus. This has merit (as opposed to the Areola stuff). However, Bowens contribution is comfortably enough to see him as my HOTY. Offensively he’s out on his own IMO
  • If I was to vote now, I think I'd pick Bowen too; I think he's been more consistent through the season whereas Kudus has definitely not consistently reached his early-to-mid season form since he's come back from AfCON.
  • edited May 15

When I voted just now.

It's interesting that Emerson is so low, because in our own MOTM threads, he got several mentions.

I wonder if alderz actually has a spreadsheet we can interrogate about things like 'most mentions', best defender, who was our standout if you just look at games we lost, etc.
  • edited May 15
    To be fair, when Kudus is on it, he's a 2 footed nightmare to play against!
  • Bazshuayi said:

As one commentator said about him (paraphrased from memory =) )in the Luton game "I'm sure he doesn't know where or what he's doing himself"
  • Bazshuayi said:

As one commentator said about him (paraphrased from memory =) )in the Luton game "I'm sure he doesn't know where or what he's doing himself"
    What that really means is the commentator doesn't understand how good he can be.
  • edited May 16
    MrsGrey said:

I wonder if alderz actually has a spreadsheet we can interrogate about things like 'most mentions', best defender, who was our standout if you just look at games we lost, etc.

I do. After the last game I’ll write a little bit about it, and share it with you all so you can have a look if you’re interested.