Other matches, FA Cup 3rd round, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th January

The FA is certainly trying to get their money's worth out of their competition

I don't think they've ever played the first match of the 3rd round on a Thursday before but Palace and Everton managed a dull as dishwater 0-0 draw last night where the only notable event was Calvert-Lewin getting the first red card of his professional career.

Tonight we have Spurs v Burnley and the main subject of discussion among the pundits is that Son will be absent at the Asia Cup.

Comments

• Was waiting for Spurs to go Spursy .what went wrong =)
  • steve said:

Was waiting for Spurs to go Spursy .what went wrong =)

An awful throw from the Burnley keeper
  • Might seem petty, but does anyone else think the Sunderland and Newcastle strips are too similar to make this an easy watch! Surprised the ref let it go.
    And no, I’m not watching in black and white! 🤪
  • They're certainly more similar than we're used to in this age of regular away strips, but I don't mind it tbh; wearing an away kit when there would be no clash if the club used its normal strip is a real bugbear of mine.
  • Watching the Sunderland-Newcastle game and realising that I actually prefer watching football without VAR
  • edited January 6

Watching the Sunderland-Newcastle game and realising that I actually prefer watching football without VAR

From a "watching" perspective there's no doubt that it's better without VAR, but, in theory, there should be far fewer mistakes with VAR.

I firmly believe that traditionally officials have almost always favoured the bigger clubs in tight offside calls, penalty decisions and red cards, and so I feel that VAR should help even the playing field for "smaller" clubs like us. It's just a shame that currently the implementation of VAR is so poor and the decisions being made are so often so bad.

• Yo, Maidstone. Way to go! Gotta root for the little guy while it lasts, and they’re not too far from my hometown.
  • No real upsets as far as Premier teams go .Still always tomorrow =)
  • I thought away teams hsd to change their kit. Is it up to the referee (who hopefully has 20-20 vision)
  • edited January 6
    Whatever else happens from here on in we have to win tomorrow as my son in law is avid Bristol City and having to face the ribbing I’ll get is something I won’t relish.
  • Sunderland vs Newcastle was very much a family affair in Chicago early this morning, I normally find myself watching West Ham on my own, but for this one, the boys came over and there were saugage and bacon sandwiches a plenty.

Unfortunately Sunderland let themselves down and the difference in quality showed, why they persevered playing from the back astounded me, at least mix it up a bit, if you have attracted three players to the edge of your box, chuck it down field and there are fewer opposition players to contend with.

But what do I know …….

To be fair, given all the pressure on this game, Newcastle played a blinder and put in a very professional performance
  • Obviously not all grounds can handle VAR which I why I thought the FA cup was a totally VAR free zone but they are using it at Chelsea.

Either use it or not, it does make sense to me to have it some games and not others

But once again, what do I know
  • edited January 6
    It’s all pointing to us making a mess of it tomorrow, Villa just getting over the line at the death.
  • edited January 6
    VAR is available at PL grounds because it’s compulsory for PL games but lower leagues don’t have to have it. It’s not used at below PL grounds even if they have it as it’s a license issue. It will be used at our game tomorrow but won’t be if we have to go to a replay.
  • Love that MotD put Maidstone v Stevenage as their first game
  • It’s all pointing to us making a mess of it tomorrow, Villa just getting over the line at the death.

That’s the spirit.👍😂

• I’m already getting grief from my son in law so we just can’t afford to mess this one.
  • Slacker said:

It’s all pointing to us making a mess of it tomorrow, Villa just getting over the line at the death.

That’s the spirit.👍😂

Yup!
  • I'm surprised the Arsenal shirts are within regulations, the numbers are barely visable.
  • Odegaard has been playing for Arteta too long, he's acting like a stroppy teenager.
  • Shocking keeping by Ramsdale, comes for a ball and doesn't get within a yard of it, results in an OG as the deadlock is finally broken with 10 minutes to go.
  • At least we’ve stayed in longer than Arsenal even if it’s only for about 10 days.
  • If Arsenal are in white, why are Liverpool in lavender?
  • edited January 7
    MrsGrey said:

If Arsenal are in white, why are Liverpool in lavender?

A clash of colours isn't a reason for an away strip these days (unfortunately imo). I don't watch Liverpool enough to know if that's their regular away strip, but it could well be. If we're being polite we could say it's to respect the reason Arsenal are in white, but teams rarely play in their proper colours away from home these days unless both their second and third choice kits clash with whatever the home team decide to play in.

• Just saw that Elliot Lee scored in the cup today, so I looked him up. He’s 29. Absolutely wild.
  • Elliot Lee didn’t score for Wrexham today.
  • There’s an article about him on the BBC saying he “hits back” and I wrongly assumed it was him scoring. But the point I was making is that he is nearly 30, which seems crazy. That was obvious though.
  • During the Arsenal game they showed Bob Wilson and I thought, “my he looks old,” and then I looked in the mirror 😀
  • Liverpool dont normally play in lavender ( I think it their 3rd kit). Normally their 2nd kit is green/white. A friend told me ;)
  • edited January 8
    alderz said:

There’s an article about him on the BBC saying he “hits back” and I wrongly assumed it was him scoring. But the point I was making is that he is nearly 30, which seems crazy. That was obvious though.

Flanagan predicted that it would be an easy win in a pre-match interview as Wrexham were "semi-professional players last season"

After the match Lee dedicated Wrexham's win to Flanagan

Meeeee-ow