Betting in Football

I thought this probably merits its own thread, because of the recent history of Ivan Toney being banned and Lucas Paqueta being investigated, but Nicolo Fagioli of Juventus has been banned for 7 months because of betting laws. He was being investigated alongside Sandro Tonali at Newcastle and Nicolo Zaniolo who is on loan at Aston Villa.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67138559

And on top of that, Sky Bet have had a tweet banned today (weird punishment, IMO) for breaking gambling advertisement rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-67137489

Comments

• As I'm sure we all know, but maybe worth confirming, it looks like Paqueta is being investigated for something akin to spot-fixing rather than betting on games which seems to be the case with all the others you've mentioned.
  • Yes, good point. I wasn't saying the situation is identical, more just that there are a lot of betting relating issues at the moment.
  • If he is banned, wonder if Newcastle will have a case for withheld information when they signed him, depending on what AC Milan knew?
  • Betting wise, I think we should all adhere to the classic keep out of the black and in the red, you get nothing for 2 in a bed...
  • "During a hearing at the city prosecutor’s office in Turin on Tuesday [Tonali] is reported to have confessed that he bet on Milan to win a series of matches, some of which he played in.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/18/newcastle-reports-tonali-admitted-betting-milan-games
  • Much shaking of head, ho hum
  • Villa had to wear shirts without their sponsor's logo (BK8) when they played Legia Warsaw as Poland banned gambling advertising in 2009

Well done, Poland
  • Yet Harry Toffolo got a 5 month ban suspended for a year for multiple betting infringements. Go figure.
  • He played the mental health card. Also I don’t think he played in any game on which he bet but did have a couple of spot fixes involving himself.
  • Whether he played in a game or not is irrelevant isn't it? It's a blanket no betting rule.
  • Can’t be a blanket no betting rule because lots of footballers owned or part owned racehorses and bet on them.
    I’ve no idea what the FA, EUFA or FIFA’s betting rules are but I guess they relate to football only in some way.
  • IronHerb said:

Whether he played in a game or not is irrelevant isn't it? It's a blanket no betting rule.

But not a blanket punishment, which is presumably decided out of a range of options and various factors considered.
  • You bet on anything but not football.
  • MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

Whether he played in a game or not is irrelevant isn't it? It's a blanket no betting rule.

But not a blanket punishment, which is presumably decided out of a range of options and various factors considered.
    No I agree, but it appeared to a very similar case to the Toney one.
  • He did a deal by confessing to avoid a 3 year ban
  • surely the evidence Tonali was overwhelming that they done have to settle for a "deal" and slap the full punishment on
  • I think it's an automatic reduction if they plead guilty.
  • MrsGrey said:

I think it's an automatic reduction if they plead guilty.

Just plain wrong if less than a third of the punishment remains. Cut off half a year and put him on probation, fine, but 10 months instead of 3 years?
  • It's not only the guilty plea that reduces the punishment.

Other factors come into play, so that the punishment fits the crime. The most egregious offences are those which get the most severe punishment, I guess.

Otherwise you'd have minor transgressions being punished in the same way as really bad ones. Which can't be right, surely?

• Sure but he has admitted to gambling on his own team and games he played in. How is that only worth 10 months
  • I feel like betting on yourself to win deserves lesser punishment than begging in yourself to lose.
  • He got an 18 month ban but 8 months of it was commuted and he is to spend time giving regular talks to youngsters and recovering addicts. A minimum of 16 talks or something like that.
  • alderz said:

I feel like betting on yourself to win deserves lesser punishment than begging in yourself to lose.

I agree, but no begging please ;)