Women's World Cup

England's first game has just started, against the might of Haiti.

Expectations are bound to be fairly high after winning the Euros, but it's a big ask now USA are added to the mix, and with the loss of players from the Euros squad through retirement and in particular through injuries to key players such as Williamson and Mead.

Comments

• edited July 2023
    England miss a penalty 😭😭😭

But it's to be retaken as the keeper was off her line.

And this time Stanway scores, 1-0.
  • Final group game, against China, a draw sees us through as group winners. Without Keira Walsh after her knee injury (although not an ACL which seems to be a curse for our women's team atm) in the last game.

Match has just started.
  • Early goal to settle any nerves, 4th minute 😊, 1-0.
  • 3-0 😊😊😊
  • edited August 2023
    4-0 in first half injury time 😊

Edit: a very suspect over-rule after VAR, certainly wasn't interfering with play when in an offside position so I don't understand the decision tbh.

3-0 HT.
  • Lauren James is a super player.
  • Great win but Soucek was poor ( again).
  • Slacker said:

Great win but Soucek was poor ( again).

The commitment to this bit despite diminishing returns is truly inspiring.
  • @Slacker, Antonio didn’t show up again!
  • Bairstow had a shocker.
  • alderz said:

Slacker said:

Great win but Soucek was poor ( again).

The commitment to this bit despite diminishing returns is truly inspiring.
    One trys.😉
  • *tries😂
  • edited August 2023
    Watched the second half of S.Africa / Italy, really good stuff, and it was in the balance right up to the 15th minute (!) of added time.
    Great watch.
  • edited August 2023
    Slacker said:

Watched the second half of S.Africa / Italy, really good stuff, and it was in the balance right up to the 15th minute (!).
    Great watch.

Banyana Banyana did the Rainbow Nation proud out here, their biggest achievement on world stage, they seem fearless and have done great to qualify for last 16....
  • Slacker get used to extra time. The criteria used at last years World Cup are being used from next season in the PL. goal kicks, celebrations etc are being timed and added on.
  • I expect someone will know the answer but I can never understand why they just don’t do what they do in rugby. Just stop the clock when play is stopped rather than just add a number on at the end.
  • That seems the sensible idea but as the average time the ball was in play in the PL last season was 55 minutes so that’s 35 minutes of nothing. (Sometimes 90 minutes in our case).
    Each half could end up over an hour long.
  • The answer is you have 30 minute halves. Then you stop the clock for any stoppages. That should make each half 45 minutes.
  • But then if, bizarrely, there were no stoppages at all you’d have a 60 minute game.
  • You have less than a 60 minute game now hahaha
  • At half time in the final round of group games, Germany don't progress as things stand.
  • Germany are out, that in theory creates an easier route to the final with France (ranked 5th) the highest ranked team we would possibly have to face en route.
  • edited August 2023
    Well my Spain vs. Germany final prediction aged well hahaha
  • USA knocked out by Sweden on penalties, if ever there was a time for the Lionesses, then surely it's this year. Sweden are ranked 3rd, directly above us, but for the top two ranked sides (USA and Germany) to be out before the quarter finals really opens things up.
  • Sweden didn't even have a shot on goal for the entire game..
  • edited August 2023
    Penalty to England, looked a bit soft to me tbh.

Edit: Overturned after the ref was advised to review it. Although soft, I'm surprised, once it was given, that it was overturned tbh.
  • Who’d be a ref Buffy. Looked nailed on to me.
  • edited August 2023
    I don't see how you overturn it once it's been given tbh, I hate to say it but I don't think the standard of reffing in the few games I've seen has been very good; you wonder how much high level experience some of them have.