More thoughts on West Ham's January transfer window.

This discussion was created from comments split from: Other Premier League Games 3rd to 10th February.

Comments

• edited February 2023
    Watching Wolves-Liverpool it’s so weird seeing Ballon Dawson in a Wolves shirt.
    It’s just wrong, so very wrong.😟💔
  • edited February 2023
    Slacker said:

It’s just wrong, so very wrong.😟❤️

But it's what he wanted, and we obliged.....Seems like we gave in bit, or was that 3 million odd needed that much, otherwise let him go at end of season on a free, not great business I know, sort of have ourselves to blame a bit, I know he had personal issues, but a matter of a few months, let's hope that 3 million doesn't cost us as such ???

And now he scores, oh dear, just to rub it in...
  • Slacker said:

It’s just wrong, so very wrong.😟💔

It just got worse.😥💔

• Dawson 💔
  • MrsGrey said:

Pleased for him.

I've got over my annoyance.
  • MrsGrey said:

MrsGrey said:

Pleased for him.

I've got over my annoyance.
    Personally wasn't annoyed with him, more the club to agreeing to this deal, I understand there are a lot of things we not aware of going on, but just to sell to a team directly in the same relegation battle as us and make them stronger, not sure the wise move, IMO we should have kept him to end of season and grant him his wish......
    That 3 million deal has made them stronger and us weaker, IMO of course.
  • I wasn't against us selling him to Wolves if we'd have brought someone better in, but to weaken us and strengthen a relegation rival makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Jay, I was annoyed at him wanting away. I mean, surely he knew we were a London club when he signed.... Of course, maybe there were changes in his family circs that meant he wanted to move. But I was annoyed that he wouldn't stick to the contract he signed.
    Tbh I would never be annoyed by a club/employer ( who after all would know more about his personal situation) that agreed to show some understanding of the individual's needs.
    :-)
  • edited February 2023
    MrsGrey said:

Jay, I was annoyed at him wanting away. I mean, surely he knew we were a London club when he signed.... Of course, maybe there were changes in his family circs that meant he wanted to move. But I was annoyed that he wouldn't stick to the contract he signed.
    Tbh I would never be annoyed by a club/employer ( who after all would know more about his personal situation) that agreed to show some understanding of the individual's needs.
    :-)

Yeh, I agree to a certain point, but still feel club could have been stronger, we by letting him go have made them stronger, that's not clever by any means......While the club might look like they have been kind, empathetic, just perhaps the 3 million and no money situation at end of season just perhaps played its part, but hey, he seems like a family man and if that is what it means to him, good for him.....Evenb if it's top our detriment.

Don't care if it doesn't help us, always felt like you have to look after yourself and now wait on results of others, but I love it when teams best the entitled (cough...big) six

Also delighted for Big Daws

Agree, as said earlier the ball is in our court, for sure, with the players we have if we don't stay up along with Moyes should all take a good look at themselves IMO...
    That should then be Moyes' last gig, at that level anyway.

But, in no way am I delighted for Dawson, he wanted out and somewhat deserted us, IMO of course...He could like Mrs Grey alluded to, honored his contract and left on a free at season end.....It's a bit of a slap in the face to his teammates and club to me....

Time will tell how this all plays out and who made the wise decision....
  • Fine with selling him but never to another relegation rival. Rule number 1 of transfers that for a winter window.
  • edited February 2023
    Re Dawson, I believe his daughter's been unwell. No issue whatsoever in him moving nearer to his family. He wanted to go in the summer but agreed to stay to help out with our injury problem.

For me, the issue is with us not replacing him with someone of a similar standard, or better. Or at all.
  • We replaced him last summer.
  • MrsGrey said:

We replaced him last summer.

Who with?
  • edited February 2023
    MrsGrey said:

We replaced him last summer.

Even if that's true, with the current state of our CBs (Zouma out injured and never looking 100% injury free, Ogbonna not back to his pre-injury levels and Kehrer not up to the standard of a PL CB just yet) there's a very strong case to be made that he needed replacing again. Of our current, fit CBs, he'd be ranked no.2 imo, and necessary for us to play a back 4 if we wanted to.
  • I liked him and had no issue with him going recently as it was obvious he was made to stay on last time and he always put a shift in. Whilst not being ideal that he went to a relegation rival I also dont think one addition will keep them up or send us down. I have doubts either team will be in the mix at the end of the season
  • Totally agree with Baz. Daws fully earned his move after staying on for the first half of the season to help us out.
  • IronHerb said:

Totally agree with Baz. Daws fully earned his move after staying on for the first half of the season to help us out.

Except that he was contracted to stay till the end of the season.
  • And we had an agreement that he could go in January but if it's preferred we tell him it's tough about your family and you will see out your contract then fine. That's not a club I want to support.
  • Players contracts tend to not mean much when they want out. He could've forced it, downed tools etc but he didnt. His comments after he moved seem to be algined to how he played for us. I appreciate him and he's a dying breed of a player
  • It’s not that much different playing for us and Watford so I feel like there must’ve been some kind of change at home that made him want to leave. If not, I think it’s slightly irritating that he suddenly wanted to go but these things happen. At the end of the day, there was a problem and both did their best to meet somewhere in the middle. I’m happy with that.
  • It’s not that much different playing for us and Watford so I feel like there must’ve been some kind of change at home that made him want to leave. If not, I think it’s slightly irritating that he suddenly wanted to go but these things happen. At the end of the day, there was a problem and both did their best to meet somewhere in the middle. I’m happy with that.

Watford?
  • We signed him from Watford.
  • TalkSPORT reckon £120m plus add-ons is the price for Declan Rice to leave this summer, with 2 years left on his contract (if we exercise the extension).

Not sure about that.
  • I think a lot depends on how much Bellingham goes for, as he's younger and quite possibly even better than Dec, and it seems very likely he'll move this summer as well. Personally I can't see £120m+, maybe £100m or thereabouts.
  • edited February 2023
    One thing that may be a differentiator between Dec & Bellingham is their likely injury record.
    Dec is 24 and according to Transfermarkt has only missed 1 game & that was through sickness 18/19 season.
    Bellingham (19) missed 2 games in 20/21 - knock
    and 1 game in 21/22 - the dreaded knee problem.

It's amazing Dec hasn't suffered any injuries considering his work rate and the tackles he makes, whereas Bellingham's knee injury at age 18 is a worry imo.
    If I was spending the sort of money that's being mentioned, I think I'd use it on Dec.
  • edited February 2023

One thing that may be a differentiator between Dec & Bellingham is their likely injury record.
    Dec is 24 and according to Transfermarkt has only missed 1 game & that was through sickness 18/19 season.

That's not right, Rice got injured on international duty and missed PL games towards the end of the 2020/21 season, possibly costing us a CL spot.
  • That's Transfermarkt info for you .