Brentford again (away) FA Cup 3rd round, 5:30pm Saturday 7th January (not on TV)

Comments

• Terrible refereeing again. Lino clearly didn't watch the Germany world cup game to understand the whole ball rule.
  • As I pointed out in the Leeds match thread, Soucek seems to be much more towards the left that we're used to seeing him, seems like

......................Rice.....................
    .......Paqueta........Soucek........

is how our centre mids are lining up.
  • Fantastic commentary

We've beaten as many Danish teams this season and we have English teams...

,,,and Brentford have a lot of Danish players
  • It’s been bang average.. Johnson showing why he hasn’t been picked.., Not a great watch
  • Unnerved by a set piece although fortunately a mis-hit by one of their players hits another who is offside.
  • We seem to be lost when we get into that final 1/3.
  • So I'm reading the Antonio and Johnson have been woeful. Please confirm.
  • This has been a horrendous first half.. From both teams… It’s been dire IMO
  • Hamstew said:

So I'm reading the Antonio and Johnson have been woeful. Please confirm.

They've not been great, but then neither has anyone else tbh.
  • Poor game
  • Poor game. We can't seem to string together more than a couple of passes and don't look like scoring from open play. Too many square and backward passes. Everything is slow. Moyes needs to change formation and players. Benrahma, Fornals, Mubama offer possibilities.
  • I'm not unhappy with the first half simply because it's Brentford and we're not losing

Ideally we'd switch from 5-3-2 to 4-3-3, replace Johnson with Benrahma but who to play at RB?

I suspect Moyes will stick with the current formation, take a draw and go for a replay as we don't have European football until March
  • It’s been really poor but the conditions can’t be helping. Pitch is also used for rugby.
  • Johnson has been struggling, lack of game time? Would replace him for Kerher and Soucek off for Fornals, or Benrahma.
  • Great chance for Soucek but he puts it wide from 6 yards out.
  • Why are keepers allowed to shove players with both hands in the back?
  • Why are keepers allowed to shove players with both hands in the back?

Yeah I know, they all do it and never get penalised, yet elsewhere on the pitch it's a foul. It's one of my many bugbears about how matches are officiated.
  • It's the thing you never really see discussed on TV, how rules are applied differently in different parts of the pitch and to goalkeepers.

I think Benni is going to turn this around for us when he comes on.
  • if we somehow by a miracle stay up and Southampton go down sign up JWP just for set pieces.
  • I’m sorry, not trying to be negative but this has so far been such a poor game, from both teams….
  • Benrahma being readied.
  • Soucek, man....
  • Rice has learnt that despite being captain he cannot take penalties like Mark Noble

Hopefully ay some point he will accept that like Noble he cannot take free kicks or corners
  • Benrahma and Fornals (and potentially Downes) should be introduced here
  • Benrahma on for Soucek.
  • Best line of commentary EVER :”West Ham waiting for Godos”.
    Brilliant.👏👏
  • Is it worth Mubama playing here giving Antonio is getting no joy
  • Look on the dull side, if this goes to a replay we have to go through it all again.
  • edited January 2023
    Benrahma scores, Rice's challenge bound to be checked though.

Goal stands, nice strike by Benrahma but way too close to the keeper who shoulda done much better.