FULHAM (H) SUN OCT 9TH

124»

Comments

• Goals aside, I have to say that when Dawson took out Pereira (I think) hurting himself for a bit, it made me love him just that little bit more. Hes the only thing close we have to a proper old school defender and I too will be sad if he goes
  • edited October 2022
    The third goal is irrelevant, we would have won the game 2-1 anyway.

The second goal - all well & good using MOTD software to zoom in, that wasn’t available to VAR. What VAR had available did not conclusively show a handball. That’s the end of that.

The first goal was debatable whether it was Dawson or Pereira who made the collision happen. But given he’d been warned & was clearly focused on obstructing Dawson, you could argue the penalty should have already been given.
  • The thing is, had it been one of the big 4 that scored that goal, would MOTD even bother looking so deeply in to it
  • Lukerz a penalty can only be awarded when the ball is in play. He warned him twice while they were waiting for the corner and he was watching for it. As soon as the corner was taken he gave the penalty.
  • When var was first introduced I was really in favour. However, I now believe it is simply sucking the joy out of the game. I’m fed up with hearing “var is checking for whatever”.It just seems that they’re looking for any way they can to disallow a goal. I believe the original idea was good but it’s being used so negatively it’s destroying the spontaneity of the game and muting instantaneous crowd reactions. It’s not even as if the official’s aren’t still messing up despite the technology. They might as well revert to the on-field officials messing up. At least it enabled spontaneous passions to set the game alight.
  • I still like VAR even though I recognise that the use of it by those watching it needs to improve in consistency. I hate losing a game to a blatantly offside goal after grafting for 90 minutes, or a Harry Kane dive.

In my view, Sacamaaca's goal came down to what the referee gave. had he said handball they would never have overridden him and because it wasn't clear and obvious, they couldn't do so the other way. What was very fortunate is that he still finished the goal as he clearly was in no doubt, he was offside due to only seeing the player directly behind him and unaware (as we all were) of the guy playing him on. Often, they just blast it anywhere.
  • I am still in favour of VAR, it's just that it needs better people operating it. The onfield officials are only human, and can be unsighted or just plain useless (remember when Milner was a yard offside right under the lino's nose?) so whilst I do find it annoying at times, in general it should reduce the number of errors. The problem with it is still consistency of interpretation of existing rules or laws, and that interpretation is obviously down to the human element.

I understand the Champions League is using a semi-automated offside detection this season, which, if it works, should reduce the time taken to make decisions. It's almost how cricket has gone; front foot no-balls are no longer called by the onfield umpires but by the third umpire with the benefit of technology, and ultimately this could be the way the major leagues go.

One thing I'd like to see happen more often is referees themselves being able to review incidents more as a matter of course, kinda like in rugby union. As it is, the referee is sent to the monitor basically when he's being told he's made a mistake, with the inherent pressure to change his decison; it's only in the last couple of weeks that we've seen a couple of refs stand by their original decision.
  • edited October 2022
    I think it was a big mistake to introduce the concept of clear and obvious error. That just adds another layer of ' opinion' to decisions that are already a matter of judgement.

I'm a fan of VAr in principle and don't want it removed.

I just want it used properly and consistently.
  • Nah, burn it.
  • What does Archie think 🤔
  • MrsGrey said:

What does Archie think 🤔

he says it's a bit Ruff
  • MrsGrey said:

What does Archie think 🤔

We’ve discussed a few times but he’s pretty non committed either way .

• I’ve had a word with my Labrador Hector but he said to leave him alone for 5 minutes while he’s doing the Times crossword.
  • Dawson makes Team of the Week:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63195215

He made TOTW, but Garth Crooks only wanted to talk about Pereira in his write up. As if the only good thing Dawson did was be fouled. I don't know how that man still has that column, it's absolute garbage and has been for years.