Dinamo Zagreb (H) - Thurs 9th Dec, 8pm

I expect Moyes is going to put my match thread run at stake by playing the u14's for this game.

With the recent injuries we've had, probably a good idea not to risk anybody.

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Areola
    Ashby Baptiste Alese Longelo
    Kral Noble
    Yarmolenko Fornals Vlasic
    Perkins

Can't risk any of our four fit defenders. Rice and Soucek deserve a rest, as do Bowen and Antonio. If Lanzini has the shirt for the next league game, then one of Fornals and Benrahma can play the No10 role.

To be honest, I'd be more excited to see this line up and see where the kids are than trotting out our 'second eleven' if everyone was fit.

But I reckon if it's a young back four, Moyes will put Rice in front of them to protect them a bit more.
  • edited December 2021
    It won’t he a massive reserve side.

I’d expect Areola, Fredericks (where is he?), Masuaku, Cresswell, Noble, Kral, Vlasic, Yarmolenko, Benrahma to all get game time. Maybe Fornals & Lanzini too. Cresswell needs a game to get back up to speed.

Areola
    Ashby - Kral - Baptiste - Masuaku
    Noble - Lanzini
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic - Benrahma
    Perkins
  • I'd expect Fredericks and Cresswell to be on the bench and only be used to get minutes in their legs towards the end.
  • Moyes interview said Fredericks (Raheem?) had been battling a minor injury behind the scenes.
  • edited December 2021
    Fair enough. Maybe a kid then.

I am reluctant to go wholesale changes. It only gives the kids little chance to do well when you throw a back line of U23s in. This is an experienced European side who need to win the match. Yes we are guaranteed top, so have earned the right to rest players, but it’s still our duty to show respect to this competition in front of a crowd who we are expecting to pay money.

I appreciate we only have limited defenders but I don’t agree with a back four of U23 players.
  • I think it’s quite important that we play Perkins, Baptiste/Alese and Longelo - or whoever the best young striker, CB and LB are. We’re short on cover and it’s worth testing them in a complete free shot game. Does nothing for our momentum as we’ve won the group, so losing is fine. I probably still wouldn’t play too many as they will play with experienced players if they are in the first team and so that’s the experience they should have here. Keep a few on the bench. Maybe Oko Flex can play as wel
  • But if you play Masuaku and he gets injured, Longelo may have to be blooded in the next PL game, where points actually matter.

And the same with the centre backs. You could play Dawson and Baptiste, but again, if the former gets injured then one of the kids may have to play against Burnley (or drop Rice to CB).

I don't actually think Moyes will play the U23 backline, but I don't think, given our injury situation, it would be disrespectful if he did.
  • I wand all our B team to play. Need them to be fit and ready to step up. Not only in case of injury, but to be subs during a busy period - we need our whole (uninjured) squad to be properly managed and rotated. (In Moyes we trust!)
  • If we’re struggling for a left back I’ll play
  • edited December 2021
    It depends what you mean about the B-team. Our B-Team doesn't include a striker, CB or LB now because everyone has had to step up to play first team. So I want to see if we've got young players who can be that b-team and this is the best chance we have for that.

If it's Yarmolenko up front for the B-Team, I'm not sure it makes any difference whether he rotates in or not.
  • edited December 2021
    I expect he will give game time to all those he wants to impact the first team fringes , would not be surprised if they got a result as well as massiveness rubs off to the whole team
  • I would particularly like to go with Baptiste and Alese at centre back. Both are on the fringes and with 2 out of our top 4 (2) injured it makes sense to see whether they are really up to it and they are clearly used to playing together, which is key in a defensive unit. Assuming Cresswell and Fredericks are doubts, I’d like to see:
    Areola
    Ashby - Alese - Baptiste - Longelo
    Noble - Kral
    Vlasic - Benrahma - Masuaku
    Oko Flex

If Yarmo is “on his way” give some game time to the ones we want to keep.
  • Can we get busted for fielding an understrength side?
  • Areola

Fredericks (if available) ? Alese Baptise Masuaku ?

Noble Kral

Benrahma Vlasic Okoflex

Yarmelenko
  • edited December 2021
    i think its perfectly fine for our CB pairing to be both U23s who will know each other inside out to play together.
  • I’m on the side of “don’t play too many”. We heavily criticised BFS for doing that very thing, everyone did but this time it’s appropriate? I don’t understand.

3 youngsters starting, our best players for where we have injuries and 3 on the bench, other positions regardless of injuries, who deserve their chance.

Areola, Kral, Noble, Vlasic, Yarmo must start. Moyes will need to work out the other 3. Probably Fornals, Benrahma and Fredericks (if fit). Coufal is fit enough to play if not, no doubt of that for me.
  • I agree. We need to field a decent team that includes a few kids bit i don't think you can play two kids at CB if they haven't got experienced RB and LB along side them.

Areola,
    Coufal Alese Baptiste Cresswell (Masuaku),
    Rice Noble Kral,
    Benrahma Fornals,
    Yarmolenko
  • Part of the problem with when Sam did it was that he played a team of kids in a system they’ve never ever played (3-6-1 I think). I don’t think Moyes would do that. There are some rotational players that will definitely play if available and then some gaps. The problem is that we have no defenders available really, so it is a case of risking the few we have, or playing a full back four of development players.

Areola
    ??? - ??? - ??? - ???
    Noble - Kral
    Yarmolenko - Vlasic - Benrahma
    ???
  • Also we need to preserve my match thread run.
  • We need to smash them.......Oh wait no we dont
  • Bung Arthur upfront to smash one in!
  • According to KUMB Lanzini is also injured. That is Ogbonna, Zouma, Johnson, Fredericks and Lanzini whilst Cresswell is expected to return next week. It is sahme that Coventry and Alves are out on loans and not getting much game time. Otherwise, they would have featured.
    So I think Moyes will try to rest/save as many first-teamers as possible for a very hectic schedule ahead and give more U-23s a chance to to step up for this dead-rubber.

Areola
    Ashby - Baptiste - Alese- Masuaku
    Noble - Kral- Chesters- Vlasic
    Okoflex- Yarmolenko
  • This match couldn't have been better timed as it gives Moyes a chance to get a look at the u23 centre backs against a senior side, for they will be on the bench next weekend. Defence aside we can field a strong side as Noble and Kral are decent enough, as are vlasik and Yarmi, I think Arthur can be risked as he is still getting back to top speed after many months out and Cresswell should be back for the weekend, so it will do him good. I don't think we can risk Rice or Sucek however as in the absence of Zouma and Oggy they almost become even more important, if that were possible, Imagine the criticism Moyes would get if he played one and they got injured.
  • Baptiste, Ashby, Alese and Perkins all missing from the U23 squad for this afternoon's game.

Could mean nothing, could mean all four are likely to feature on Thursday.
  • id wager a huge amount they are all featuring Thursday
  • So what are we thinking then:

Areola; Ashby Baptiste Alese Masuaku; Kral Noble; Yarmolenko Vlasic Benrahma; Perkins?
  • alderz said:

So what are we thinking then:

Areola; Ashby Baptiste Alese Masuaku; Kral Noble; Yarmolenko Vlasic Benrahma; Perkins?

If Cresswell is expected to be fit for Burnley then no real harm in playing Masuaku in this one. Gives at least some experience to the back four. Still think one of SouDec will play alongside Noble to protect the two young centre backs.
  • I wouldn’t be shocked to see Soucek or Rice, I just don’t see the point in risking them
  • alderz said:

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Soucek or Rice, I just don’t see the point in risking them

I don't either, but Moyes is very pragmatic and I don't think he would want the two youngsters too exposed.

Plus I don't think he's too keen on Kral, so I think it'll be Noble and Rice.
  • I think Moyes has a really important judgement call to make. I can remember promising youngsters being thrown in early to help the team and arguably having their confidence knocked massively. Some never seemed to fully recover.