Newcastle away

Comments

• Sky have quickly crammed in 90 seconds of match analysis before the break so they don't have to mention us again all day. Lovely.

To be fair, Jack Grealish is playing. Just surprised a Bank Holiday hasn't been added to the calendar for it.
  • So we have Outcast and alderz claiming they were the reason we won.
    Fight!!!
  • Great result. Rice turned this game second half
    We do need a new CB though

100%
  • edited August 2021
    Delighted with the result. Think Soucek’s goal was crucial, even though you could argue the penalty was questionable. Wasn’t our best performance, so it will interesting when we’re up to full speed. Well done to all.

Also, a shout out to the officials who kept the game going and didn’t blow the whistle every time someone fell over, and VAR seemed to be invisible and didn’t seem to interfere until asked. - please note, the £100m Tom Daley and Man City!
  • Sky are so annoying. Rattle through the game summary so they can gush over Grealish, but say for more reaction go to Sky Sports News.

What am I watching on that channel? Build up to the City game 🙄
  • Strange game for me as I thought most of the first half we played like it was still pre season. The second half we looked as though we were as good as we were at the end of last season.

Benrhama, Antonio and Bowen looked good but the defence looked vulnerable at times and I thought both crosses for their goals should have been dealt with.

We looked fitter than Newcastle in the last 20 minutes which bodes well for a good start to the season.

Brilliant result.........
  • Antonio:- "I'm going to have to say sorry to Dec because when he missed his pen last season I said I'm on pens next so he might be back on them."

do we have rotation policy now ? i thought after Lingard missed Moyes went a bit ape-like and said Rice had to take them.
  • edited August 2021
    Happy with the result and performance. Still need a proper CH & a Striker. One penalty we got which probably wasn't but thought Ritchie's challenge on Coufal was a foul so that is a one we didn't get?
  • We need a penalty taker. I never think we are going to score at present, where as with Noble I never felt he would miss. Cresswell could get power and Benrhama could place it? other than these we have tried the other candidates.. Bowen maybe?
  • We need a penalty taker. I never think we are going to score at present, where as with Noble I never felt he would miss. Cresswell could get power and Benrhama could place it? other than these we have tried the other candidates.. Bowen maybe?

Yeah, Moyes needs to stamp this out. Pick one, and they take them. Got away with it today but stop letting the players make it up as they go along.
  • What a performance second half
  • So we have Outcast and alderz claiming they were the reason we won.
    Fight!!!

Fight? There's no need. No way Jorderz has anything to do with a game that involved 6 goals.
  • Well, I enjoyed that. Fantastic second half performance
  • My two penneth: Thought we were by far the better team apart from the start and the end of the first half. Thoroughly deserved the win, but blimey that Saint- Maximin is a right handful.
    Anyone else just waiting for Antonio’s strings to go when he went on that gut buster for his goal?
  • I thought we looked great going forward - but I’m trying to remember that Newcastle are terrible defensively.

I am concerned about that defensive performance though. Oggy looked like he’s been injured, Dawson was just straight bad, and Cresswell looked very vulnerable in defence. We really need someone to improve on Dawson, IMO.
  • What a great season opener. 4-2 and in the end quite a convincing win. Two poor goals to concede but ASM and Wilson are all they have, and ASM will never last 90 minutes. Somewhat rusty at the back but will be all the better for another 90 minutes in their legs. Benrahma had a quiet first half but shone in the second and the amount of work Bowen got through was immense. Rice ended as the strongest player on the pitch with three or four mazy runs.
    Antonio was Antonio. Could barely pass to a team mate but put a nice cross into Benny for his goal. Missed the penalty, when everybody knew he would, and then scored a thunderous fourth. The complete striker? Maybe.

Rice took a long lingering exit from the pitch which made me suspect it might have been a goodbye.

I've done over 10,000 steps today and it felt most were used to climb to the top of the stand.

COYI
  • edited August 2021
    alderz said:

I thought we looked great going forward - but I’m trying to remember that Newcastle are terrible defensively.

I am concerned about that defensive performance though. Oggy looked like he’s been injured, Dawson was just straight bad, and Cresswell looked very vulnerable in defence. We really need someone to improve on Dawson, IMO.

Oggy didn't have a full pre-season, and missed the last few friendlies, didn't he? I agree he didn't look great but hopefully just a bit ring rusty. We definitely need a starting CB though, as some of us have been saying for a while, as neither Dawson nor Diop should be in our first choice pair of CBs.
  • IronHerb said:

Rice took a long lingering exit from the pitch which made me suspect it might have been a goodbye.

I don't think this is true at all. I think he was knackered and no surprise.
  • buffy 👍🏻 Yeah that’s what I was getting at, he looked very rusty.

Herb - if there was any chance he was leaving they wouldn’t haven’t played him today
  • Blimey , I thought our lot were bad enough but guess what’s trending on Twitter? Yup #bruceout. One game, it took one game.

Your modern fan right there.
  • Slacker said:

Blimey , I thought our lot were bad enough but guess what’s trending on Twitter? Yup #bruceout. One game, it took one game.

I remember Moyes copping quite a lot of flak after last season's opener so where's the difference?
  • edited August 2021

Slacker said:

Blimey , I thought our lot were bad enough but guess what’s trending on Twitter? Yup #bruceout. One game, it took one game.

I remember Moyes copping quite a lot of flak after last season's opener so where's the difference?
    We're a top 6 team now, no shame losing to us 😅😅😅
  • Slacker said:

To be fair to them, they’ve never liked him and I think it’s BruceOut pretty much every day for a lot of them.
  • If there were over 50000 in the stadium today then they must have counted me 6 times. There were swathes of empty seats and the Copper we chatted to pre game I think said they had only sold 30000 ST's or tickets for the game.
  • Yeah I don't think the Bruce out thing is new
  • I watched the game at home with my Geordie next door neighbour and a few beers ( I tried my best to hide smug mode ) and the Geordies are kind of like us, they know they don't have much money, they're not going to set the league on fire and wish they had better owners. But they're passionate about their team and realistic. He's not particularly a "Bruce out " because he knows being the manager means the world to Bruce and his limited with funds. My neighbour is a bit " oh well, we could hope for better but who else?"
  • Hamstew said:

Hamstew said:

Benrahma needs to learn the offside rule

You're welcome
    You're OCS in disguise aren't you?
  • Sky have quickly crammed in 90 seconds of match analysis before the break so they don't have to mention us again all day. Lovely.

To be fair, Jack Grealish is playing. Just surprised a Bank Holiday hasn't been added to the calendar for it.
    It's a bank holiday in Greece!
  • Gutted I missed this. But great result.
  • Thoroughly entertaining match!!

Great to see we've not lost our goalscoring touch (only 2 teams scored 3+ in games on more occassions than us last prem season).

Do look shaky defensively. A bit of a surprise; but Oggy is coming back into fitness, and 3 of our back 6 haven't played for our side for even one full game of preseason. Hopefully just a bit of team rustiness, plus Newc being well up for this being the first game back - and in front of their fans after so long.

Personally, feel the pen call looked pretty fortunate to be in our favour. And on that note, there goes Antonio's chance as pen taker. Choose the next man be it Rice, Cress, Bowen (unless Noble is back on the field, obviously).

Thought most of the team had a decent game - particularly the second half where we were really showing our form and style continue from last season.

Lots to be positive with after watching that.

Although hopefully be a bit stronger defensively, and get some more additions in these next 2 and a bit weeks!

COYI!!