Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has passed away.

Comments

• A very sad day. All those years spent with the Queen, she must be heartbroken
  • He's earned his rest, though.
    RIP
  • I will miss his politically incorrect gaffs. Some of them were truly priceless. And I don’t think there was ever any malice intended.
  • edited April 2021
    RIP....Thoughts with Her Majesty the Queen and family...
    Sad he didn't make the magic 100....
  • Met him once. Totally straight talker, which got him into trouble occasionally, but a good man. HM will miss him.
  • Unlike his son who I served in the Royal Navy with and couldn’t say on here what I and the ships company thought of him
  • Wow Cuz, were you really on board with him out at sea? What was the ship?
  • No I was out at sea with Prince Andrew on RFA engadine, he was a sea king pilot but was flying lynx on there like cross training, he was on board when a lynx aircraft ditched into the sea killing the pilot and navigator
  • The surprise is that there all so well looked after he should have made 100
  • Cuz, I was a member of a golf club where Prince Andrew often played, there was a similar attitude to him there.
  • He was rude, arrogant and let’s say it wasn’t fergie who went to his cabin
  • As a lifelong republican I have no time for the royal family but as a human being I have a lot of sympathy for a woman who has lost her partner of 70 odd years.
  • Sometimes the old adage remains true:”If you haven’t got anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
    I’ve always been anti royal but a family has lost their loved one.

• edited April 2021
    Well, I don't agree its pathetic.

I think it is a bit more complicated.

For example. I agree with them that expressing condolences to public figures whom you have never met and have no connection with at all is... 'very little to do with the individual'.

It is done, sometimes, in part for virtue signalling, or to show support for the institution, or to align yourself in opposition to those who are (for example) republican, or who over the years have expressed opposition to his racist remarks. And for other reasons.

But why can we not have a nuanced debate about this.

It's (for me) too similar to the positioning we see with respect to poppies ... unless you fully embrace it all, unquestioningly, you are an England Hater/terrorist/etc.

The Sun loves to position people into simplistic 'for' or 'against' ... it's reductionist and (imo) divisive and despicable, all in the pursuit of profit. But they position it as the moral high ground.
  • Words of wisdom Mrs Grey.Words of wisdom
  • MrsGrey, don't shoot the messenger. You can disregard The Irish Sun's opinion, but they didn't concoct the original message.

Sorry to bring this up, but I'm sure that this forum occupied not that much of your and Grey's life, so our only knowledge of you both is limited to your comments. Very few of us on here actually met either of you but did/does that make our condolences for your loss any less sincere?
  • I would much rather have a non political figurehead of the nation, which represents history, rather than a republican president. It's just my opinion of course but I'd rather an institute with Royal representation rather than President Thatcher, Blair, Brown, Cameron,May , Johnson or if things were different President Corbyn. Of course the royal paylist should be slimmed, there are too many Royal nobody's . But It puts the Great into Britain. Some people and journalists are I'll feeling, stir trouble and have no consideration or class. Anyway, ..let's get back to the football chat.
  • I’ll take queen liz or Charlie over trump any day. Republicans, careful what you wish for.
  • You can't draw a parallel between monarchy in the UK and presidency in US.

If the UK had a presidency (democratic) they would still have a prime minister who would be democratically elected head of the legislative branch. President would be ceremonial, mainly.

Quite different from US where their president is more like our PM.
  • I’ll take queen liz or Charlie over trump any day. Republicans, careful what you wish for.

Of course any sensible person would not want “President Trump”. Have you ever looked at the Irish system? A president that has no real power but is respected as a figurehead for her/ his country internally and internationally but without the trappings of an extended family funded by the tax payer.

Yeah, but you can vote Trump out. If you get someone like that who is monarch, you are stuck with them.

All the Brexit argument around democracy and not having anyone who can make rules that wasn't democratically elected.... How do the brexiters square that with a monarchy? ( Not saying that applies to you NYC, but it just seemed relevant to the point you raised).
  • If the UK became a republic there would be no knowing what direction it would take in electing a President. We should have a slimer monarchy like the Scandinavians who are just ceremonial and non political. Michael Higgins of Ireland has an affiliation to the Labour party and was only cast as neutral when getting the presidential post in 2011.
  • Getting back on topic, the Duke might have led a life of adventure and privilege but in my opinion, his was a life well lived, well done sir and may you truly Rest In Peace.
  • yoyo said:

We should have a slimer monarchy like the Scandinavians who are just ceremonial and non political.

Isn't that we have now?
  • We do and I'd rather that than a Republic. But to be fair there are a lot of Royal nobody's and the structure could be trimmed.
  • edited April 2021

yoyo said:

We should have a slimer monarchy like the Scandinavians who are just ceremonial and non political.

Isn't that we have now?
    Not exactly. They might not be party-political, but they seek to influence political and public policy through (secret/private) lobbying.

And as long as 'Queen's Consent' exists, the monarch can block any legislation that affects their private finances, assets and investments. Being able to veto legislation is, imo, a political power.

So it's not all dressing up and entertaining the tourists.
  • That's true but last used by a Monarch in 1707. God knows what it would take for the Queen, Chas or William to use it if a previous Monarch hasn't to stop countless wars we've had since then. I can't see it being used in our life times, Unless the Queen can veto Sky's love of Liverpool and Utd!