Mark Noble Retirement

2»

Comments

• edited May 2022
    MrsGrey said:

Well, it's not done on any scientific basis. Just Noble's opinion, and who knows what criteria he used. Could have included massiveness of character. Which is, I guess, one way of summing up the past.

Yeah, it's similar (but very loosely) to when I pick my Monday night 5-aside teams. I don't necessarily want the most skilful players on my team; I want those that will work hard and play the game in the right way.

Like, Brazilian Alan plays occasionally and he's very good technically, but refuses to pass the ball backwards and instead takes every on and invariably loses the ball. Ginger Craig is also very good, but if things don't go his way he gives up on the game and sulks. Matt3 is very skilful and runs all night, but spends the entire game screaming "SECOND BALL" and "MAKE THAT RUN" to his increasingly-annoyed teammates.

Shaun and I complain about them on a Tuesday morning via Skype.
  • MrsGrey said:

Well, it's not done on any scientific basis. Just Noble's opinion, and who knows what criteria he used. Could have included massiveness of character. Which is, I guess, one way of summing up the past.

There's a video of them making the selections, and it provides some insight into how he made some decisions.
  • Neil came under the 'just chasing the cash' banner which meant any time he had a poor game it was thrown at him.

I quite liked him.

• Yeah, it's similar (but very loosely) to when I pick my Monday night 5-aside teams. I don't necessarily want the most skilful players on my team; I want those that will work hard and play the game in the right way.

Like, Brazilian Alan plays occasionally and he's very good technically, but refuses to pass the ball backwards and instead takes every on and invariably loses the ball. Ginger Craig is also very good, but if things don't go his way he gives up on the game and sulks. Matt3 is very skilful and runs all night, but spends the entire game screaming "SECOND BALL" and "MAKE THAT RUN" to his increasingly-annoyed teammates.

Do you sell tickets?
  • MrsGrey said:

Yeah, it's similar (but very loosely) to when I pick my Monday night 5-aside teams. I don't necessarily want the most skilful players on my team; I want those that will work hard and play the game in the right way.

Do you sell tickets?
    We don't charge, Mrs G. Goals in Portsmouth, 20:30 every Monday. Avoid the main car park though because that's where Taff's shots usually end up.
  • Love Matt3's favourite encouragements, reminds me of so many players I played with when younger who's main contribution seemed to be shouting 'make it yours' each time a team mate went in for a tackle.
  • When I worked on the post, I used to watch them play. Went to watch them play another post office team and one of their supporters kept shouting bust the salad. I have no idea what that meant hahaha
  • In our walking football club sessions (7 a side) I normally have to play in a back 2 with Arsenal Stu. Stu’s (who is only 62) idea of defending is to stand centrally with his hands behind his back shouting “Stand him up Mike” (I’m 78) while I try to cover the other 3 defensive positions. When the opposition’s spritely 58 year old wide man ‘walks quickly’ past me’ and roll’s the ball across him, he shouts “you should have showed him down the line!” …… as our unsighted goalie (67) watches the ball trickle into the net.
    God, I love Walking Footie and all the old boys and girls who play it!!!!
  • That's Gooners for you.

• MrsGrey said:

Do you sell tickets?
    We don't charge, Mrs G. Goals in Portsmouth, 20:30 every Monday. Avoid the main car park though because that's where Taff's shots usually end up.
    Fancy a pre-season game in London? Maybe if we sell tickets on here we can buy a keyboard for Sullivan to email clubs for a striker.
  • A write up on BBC sport about Noble
  • yoyo said:

A write up on BBC sport about Noble

Here's the link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61524319

• Nobes finally gets an England call up as he’s in the squad for Soccer Aid 22 which is being held at the London Stadium
  • Deleted him from the squad tab in my spreadsheet today and genuinely felt very sad
  • You could've kept him there (in an honourary way) nobody will know but you
  • alderz said:

Flight of the Conchords?
  • alderz said:

Flight of the Conchords?
    Yessir