Other Matches 6th-8th February

Comments

• edited February 2021
    Foden is in a different league to Grealish.

Look at the way Foden tries to ride challenges & the rewards he gets for it to then exploit the space & lack of numbers.

Grealish goes down, momentum lost, players get back. Finished. Just to pick up the coveted ‘Most Fouls Won’ trophy.
  • Jay, you're going to have to do more than that after your defence of Dean =)
  • If Grealish is great/brilliant and any other hyperboles you can throw at him, how do you describe Foden?

The same but with a nicer temperament.
  • edited February 2021
    IronHerb said:

So does Henderson go in goal next week to cover the keeper crisis? 😂

You’re confusing me. Are you talking about Allisson’s efforts today, or De Gea’s faux pas of yesterday? 😂

Or indeed both?
  • Aah ... that’s it... let Klopp get even more wound up when his midfielder makes blunder after blunder in goal 🤣
  • edited February 2021
    Can Liverpool release their end of season video now?

• According to the BBC “ Mohamed Salah equalised for Liverpool from the spot just after the hour after he was hauled back by Ruben Dias”

Should have read “ Mohamed Salah equalised for Liverpool from the spot just after the hour after he was touched by Ruben Dias”
  • I can't believe Salah gets away with so many dives and no one in the media pulls him up on it he seems to have a licence to get a penalty everytime he throws himeself to the floor
  • I can't believe so many players still lay hands on Salah in the penalty box. It was a foul imo but he exaggerates it with the dive.
  • Amazing isn’t it. A lot of very negative comments at Maradona upon his passing. Yet from what I can remember, when it came to on the field of play there was the ONE famous incident of gaining an advantage which defined him. What is forgotten is that his opponents routinely would try to hack him to pieces (being the only way to stop him), and yet he would be one who would actually try and ride the challenges and stay on his feet.

You then have Saint Thierry Henry who cheated the ROI out of a World Cup place. And then you have others in the modern game who dive and cheat routinely and they are consistently put on pedestals.
  • Footballs a contact sport I don't think Dias impeded Salah enough to make him fall over the contact was minimal he did n't have hold of his shirt or pull him back but it seems the rules for Liverpool are different to those for West Ham. I suppose I am fed up seeing Salah gettting lots of dubious minimal conatct penalties and we seem to have to have to wait for someone to shoot one of our players before the ref will consider it and then not give it lol
  • edited February 2021
    This is one of the major issues with VAR, it reduces things to yes or no.

5 years ago, you had 3 options: 1) contact = penalty, 2) no contact = no penalty or 3) contact = not enough for a penalty.

Salah’s should have come into number 3 yesterday. Clearly Dias brushes him, but in no way should that force him to the floor.

It seems to be nowadays that as long as the defender makes a mistake, he kinda deserves what he gets after? The commentators, for example, were unsympathetic towards Dias & how he dealt with the ball, so it’s almost like ‘well Salah throwing himself to the floor to gain a penalty is the least you deserve’.

I didn’t think it was a penalty.
  • The comments we get these days are “he has felt contact so he goes down”. Managers are telling their players to go to ground if they are slightly touched, asking the ref to make a decision but they aren’t consistent in their approach. I have seen Salah get a penalty at Anfield against us and then there be a more clear cut offence and the striker be booked for simulation.
  • Amazing isn’t it. A lot of very negative comments at Maradona upon his passing. Yet from what I can remember, when it came to on the field of play there was the ONE famous incident of gaining an advantage which defined him. What is forgotten is that his opponents routinely would try to hack him to pieces (being the only way to stop him), and yet he would be one who would actually try and ride the challenges and stay on his feet.

You then have Saint Thierry Henry who cheated the ROI out of a World Cup place. And then you have others in the modern game who dive and cheat routinely and they are consistently put on pedestals.

I’m sure that a lot of Irish fans probably dislike Henry more than Maradona, though. People only care about these things when they have been a victim of it.
  • I think there were two famous instances. The second when he failed a drugs test at the US World Cup and then claimed he was the victim of a conspiracy.
  • His drugs test fail was a recreational one rather than performance enhancing one (I think). I think much opinion of him I think has been formed by what he says or does away from the field of play.
  • It was to lose weight. I think Argentina were woeful in the qualifiers for the 1994 World cup finals and they asked him to play in the finals but he was not in the best shape.
  • I can't believe Salah gets away with so many dives and no one in the media pulls him up on it he seems to have a licence to get a penalty everytime he throws himeself to the floor

Perhaps he had the assistance of a Centurion...

• It was ephedrine at the World Cup and Cocaine when at Napoli. He had history! He was a great footballer but I just don't know how much of that was drug induced and for me that puts a negative against him.
  • Fair enough comments Herb

I thought he was magnificent player and that will probably be my overriding memory. Not at all influenced by the fact that he won me £32 in the 1986 WC sweep stake when I was at school. That and 82 are still probably my favourite world cups.
  • He bought you barracks, he bought you.  😂
  • Cocaine definitely isn't a performance enhancing drug unless the performance is talking about yourself, about your great idea for making money and explaining in detail how you are the most interesting person in the world.

The most boring people I ever met were cokeheads
  • From the, if you could change one rule in football what would it be I posted the following:

"Something that will never happen

But penalising players who go to ground "easy" even if there is contact

Bored of the amount of fouls/penalties being given because a player has felt contact and gone down...looking at you Grealish/Salah/Zaha etc

Imo it is almost as bad as diving and if players were penalised it would happen a lot less"

Salah imo did this at the weekend, and should have been carded trying to 'play' for the foul....imo it's (almost) as bad as diving

Sick of rewarding these acts, why would anyone want to be a defender with rules like this?
  • Vardy is another example, if there's a defender running by his side he'll cut across him so there's no chance for the defender to avoid contact.
    Strangely, he only does it in the penalty area.
  • At least with Vardy he commits to it and gets hit usually. A lot of others step across and immediately throw themselves down in anticipation for contact that never comes
  • Some of these guys are smart, they will look out for a defender’s trailing leg and look to make contact with it + fall over it to win a pen. The kind of thing they would never look to do if they were outside the penalty area
  • Some of these guys are smart, they will look out for a defender’s trailing leg and look to make contact with it + fall over it to win a pen. The kind of thing they would never look to do if they were outside the penalty area

That’s a good point you make ref outside the box barracks 👍
  • edited February 2021
    Did the BBC just call Zaha a girl :-)

Palace look woefully inept going forward. Just shows their reliance on Wilfried Zaha. What a big miss he is.