Random kiddy things

Comments

• Explaining to your children who have only known the metric system, how you had to learn to count in base3 (feet in a yard), base4 (farthings), base8 (stones in hundredweight, furlongs in a mile), base12 (inches in a foot, pennies in a shilling), base14 (pounds in a stone), base16 (ounces in a pound weight), base20 (shillings in a pound, hundredweights in a ton) - I could go on =) .

Showing them a farthing and telling them that 960 of them was worth a pound! Kids today, they don't know how easy it is. ;)
  • yoyo said:

I saved up for months and got one of those games you plugged into the back of the TV and played a tennis type game. You know the one, a longer line each side of the screen knocking the blob back to each other.... what was it called?

Pong, if my memory serves me correctly
  • It had a rotary dial to move the line up and down. I can’t remember, but could you also make the long line into a short line to make it more difficult? And also was there the option to speed it up too?
  • I used to have a commodore 64. You had load the games up with a cassette tape. It used to take ages and half the time it would crash. Kids don't know they're born nowadays.
  • edited January 2021

I used to have a commodore 64. You had load the games up with a cassette tape. It used to take ages and half the time it would crash. Kids don't know they're born nowadays.

I bought one of those (a Commodore 64, not a child 😂🤣😂) with my Christmas money one year, but it was so useless at loading games I took it back and got an Atari instead.
  • I had a bbc b. It had a famous game called Elite which just went on and on.
  • I had a bbc b. It had a famous game called Elite which just went on and on.

A mate of mine at Uni had that computer and game; it also took forever to load using a casette deck, and half the time it would fail to load and you'd have to start again. He was an engineer so had 9-5 lectures every day, so I spent many hours playing it in his absense
  • Yes, you were on tenterhooks with a cassette deck hoping a game would load! 😂
  • My Commodore +4 is still alive and allowing me to play "Fire Ant" on it.
    Unfortunately much to the chagrin of Mrs E
  • Maybe time for a Gobstopper Expat?
  • Does anyone remember those metal calculators like this? I thought they were amazing at the time!

• edited January 2021
    I remember in the 70s and 80s when you were allowed to go out - damned Covid. Being sent to your room was a punishment, rather than being an excuse for more social media. And we NEVER wanted to go back to school!
  • edited January 2021
    Thunderbirds and nearly everything else Gerry Anderson. I remember our first colour TV and the program that was on was Stingray, it was amazing.

I also remember my dad telling me it was not a toy and not to play with it, the trouble was that the very next day when I turned it in to watch Champion the wonder horse, I got all upset and worried as I thought I had broken it.

That incident became a bit of a family legend
  • I had a Captain Scarlett hat, my hero!
  • edited January 2021
    I don’t know if many of you used to live near a Kwik Save. We did. I remember back in the day there were no price stickers on the goods. Basically the checkout operatives had to memorise all the prices.

Legends, every one of them.
  • yoyo said:

I had a Captain Scarlett hat, my hero!

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. Did he ever catch captain Black?
  • Don’t forget those Angels, how 60s were they :-)
  • The Angels! Harmony, Melody, Rhapsody and Brenda.
  • Kaleidoscope. They were cool.
  • green shield stamps, 100000 for a spoon
  • And the collectors cards you got with packets of tea.
  • OK. So we have now established that the average of the posters on this site is 92.   😂
  • edited January 2021
    Bazooka Joe bubble gum cartoons
  • We used to play marbles, using the dished handle of a drain cover as the target hole. Conkers before H&S spoiled it
  • Scothammer, there used to be little cartoon strip in side and you could save up and get a plastic ring that you could blow through like a kazoo.
  • Shoot, every year I wanted the first issue of the season as you got a league table with tabs
  • yoyo said:

Scothammer, there used to be little cartoon strip in side and you could save up and get a plastic ring that you could blow through like a kazoo.

Yo-yo, remember them well. I think they are what Sam Allardyce chews, and gets his tactics from.