Eddie’s gone.

Just heard Eddie Howe’s left Bournemouth by mutual consent.

Comments

• He's going to be a tough act to follow
  • Nah! Harry will step in, if you give him £50m transfer kitty.
  • I've heard that he's gone to Rome to be canonised😁
  • so, the old 'mutual consent malarkey: which I guess runs like this:

S, Eddie. We're thinking of giving you the shove.,, are you going to make a fuss?

• So Howe walks into the meeting and says
    "I think it's best for all if I leave".
    They reply "Yes".
    "Oh!" says Howe, "Mutual consent it is then".
  • edited August 2020
    Over the years IMO he did a fantastic job....but sometimes good things come to an end..If I owned Bournemouth I think that Chris Hughton would be a good fit for them IMO
  • I find it a bit disappointing from their view that at the first sign of slightly bumpy waters, following non stop success ever since he has been there, he has decided he’s had enough.
  • First team to ever concede 60+ goals five seasons on the bounce. He hasn’t shown his ability to notice or fix issues
  • edited August 2020
    Alderz, he was totally inflexible. Even in their direst trouble this season he kept insisting their approach in pretty much each game would be to 'do what we do well' even though they were getting thumped most games.
  • Maybe so, but the fact that he took Bournemouth for what is probably the most successful ride in their history, cannot be overlooked, I thought they would keep him for at least one season to see if he could get them to hold their own in the championship and avoid doing a sunderland
  • Oh, you definitely can’t overlook his achievement. He’s been an absolutely phenomenal success for that club.

But that doesn’t mean he’s a premier league manager, and what he’s shown in the premier league is either an inability to notice gaping holes in his tactics and his squad, or a lack of ability in rectifying those issues.
  • alderz said:

Oh, you definitely can’t overlook his achievement. He’s been an absolutely phenomenal success for that club.

But that doesn’t mean he’s a premier league manager, and what he’s shown in the premier league is either an inability to notice gaping holes in his tactics and his squad, or a lack of ability in rectifying those issues.

Fair points, but IMO you could have been talking about many managers there including our own PL winner in Pelle.
  • But are we all agreed that we're glad to see the back of him? =)
  • edited August 2020
    I think Eddie not being able to sort their defensive issues is not a massive concern. They only let in 3 more goals than us last season & a couple of years ago we let in more than them. His philosophy was always to be an attacking side. It would be easy to sort their defence by playing a back five & having 10 men on the edge of their box. To me that’s not sorting a defence (Big Sam did that). Sorting a defence is being able to be good at the back & as a team without overly compromising your ability to go forward. I actually thought last season we were quite good defensively under Pelle given how open we played.

It’s not like they were leaking an abnormal amount of goals in comparison to other bottom half sides. This season, the attacking players (King, Wilson) dried up with their goals & that was the main issue, maybe signalling that this team had reached the end of the road.

What he has done for that club, with the level of player they had (their back four was often Smith - Cook - Aké - Daniels), can only be seen as an achievement in my view. Bournemouth are not going to reach those levels again. In fact I would put money on them not reaching a five year straight PL run in the rest of my lifetime.

At their best, they played some great football, certainly good enough to beat us five times in the last five seasons.
  • At their best, they played some great football, certainly good enough to beat us five times in the last five seasons.

That's not really a good measure of how good or bad they were.
  • IronHerb said:

At their best, they played some great football, certainly good enough to beat us five times in the last five seasons.

That's not really a good measure of how good or bad they were.

It’s not, but I think most WHU fans would have always chosen the bulk of our players when compared to them, & believed us to be the better side.

Not to mention some of the money we have spent over the last few years and they were only promoted in 2015.
  • We have a net spend of approx £30m more than them since they were promoted.

Not saying he hasn't done a decent job but not the super manager the media like to portray.
  • I think he's decent and done an amazing job for them. For me he'll have learnt from relegation and will have only made him a better manager. We'll see I guess.
  • IronHerb said:

We have a net spend of approx £30m more than them since they were promoted.

Not saying he hasn't done a decent job but not the super manager the media like to portray.

But we've spent £120m more, we've just made more back on players we've let go, according to Transfermarkt. Net spend might be similar but they've clearly dealt in much smaller transfer fees - they haven't generally been able to go for the same level of player as us but have performed not too far off our level.

I think not fixing the goals issue does show a big weakness has Howe has and one that would worry if he were to become our manager. He's probably not as good as he's sometimes been made out to be but I think he's been a solid PL manager. He's done better than some who have repeatedly failed and continued to get jobs.