Can anyone name a worse West Ham squad, then the present one

2»

Comments

• We are 9th in the table for goals scored

We have conceeded the 4th most amount of goals (only bottom 3 have conceeded more)

Plus the big one is that we have dropped more points then anyone this season

So yes, the bigger problem is at the back, and think its partly down to having weak fullbacks, but before Soucek arrived the midfield left them exposed

Roberto didnt help but hes not solely to blame
  • I'm not saying he is solely to blame but I did have the impression that his errors caused our defence to panic and lose their confidence, thus leading to more goaös conceded.
    Just looking at the PL matches prior to the Oxford game we conceded 7 goals in 6 matches but that includes 5 against City. So basically 2 goals in 5 matches.
    In the six PL games that followed we shipped 13 goals. So before Roberto it was like just over 1 goal a game and with Roberto it was just over two. I am sure that had some effect on our defenders.
  • There will be history books written about Roberto's time in goal
  • edited July 2020

There will be history books written about Roberto's time in goal

More like disaster movies or horror stories.
  • There will be history books written about Roberto's time in goal

I think he will be included in the Horrible Histories series. ;)
  • We conceded 18 goals in 8 league games with Roberto in goal (average 2.25 per game)

We conceded 41 goals in 27 league games without Roberto in goal (average 1.52)
  • We conceded 18 goals in 8 league games with Roberto in goal (average 2.25 per game)

What about points per game (possibly home, away and total) for games with Roberto in goal and without?

But this just shows how disastrous his spell was. I reckon we would have been safe by the time lockdown came if Fab hadn't got injured.
  • If only Pelle had stuck Martin in 3 games earlier we’d be safe now.
  • Pelle
    What a roberto

What about points per game (possibly home, away and total) for games with Roberto in goal and without?

But this just shows how disastrous his spell was. I reckon we would have been safe by the time lockdown came if Fab hadn't got injured.
    Another way to look at it is something like 44% of our goals in 29% of our matches, I think.

He was also so bad that those games with Martin were focused on not letting goals in rather than playing to win. Completely derailed our season.
  • And in Adrian, who had been offered a 3-year contract, we had a ready made replacement who already had the trust of the team.
    Although it seems that he turned it down as he felt he was undervalued.
    Mind you it didn't turn out too bad for him did it. ;)
  • Adrian had made his mind up to leave before we signed Fabianski.

According to reports he was offered a new contract three times, first halfway through the 2018/19 season during the Joe Hart nonsense, the second time after Adrian had replaced Hart and the third time in the summer before we signed Fabianski.

"I'd made a drastic decision not to stay any longer at West Ham, despite having a three-year contract offer on the table," he says. "I hadn't played a single game all season in the Premier League. I didn't feel valued economically either, to be honest. It was tough for me."

Adrian interview, 11 Feb 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51374515
  • It probably seemed to him like we were too eager to replace him, first with Joe Hart, then with Randolph, when he had never been that bad. Did some rash things but Hart was tolerated for so long. At least Fabianski was a genuine step up.

• Unfortunately while he was something of a cult hero, he wasn't THAT good, definitely not good enough that we shouldn't have looked for an upgrade (which we found)

He made the decision to be 2nd choice at Liverpool over 2nd choice at West ham, which is fair enough and I think the board did pretty much everything they could to keep him
  • He wasn't, he needed gradual replacing and we eventually got there with Fabianski. But it was maybe not handled ideally, especially with Hart. He was not that good but never as bad as Hart was. I think it was obvious we were looking for a replacement when maybe it could've been made more into competition, which might've allowed us to hold on to him a bit longer. Or maybe not.
  • edited July 2020

It probably seemed to him like we were too eager to replace him, first with Joe Hart, then with Randolph, when he had never been that bad. Did some rash things but Hart was tolerated for so long. At least Fabianski was a genuine step up.

Randolph left 4 days after Hart joined and 3 days after Sullivan had declared that Hart was the best keeper he'd ever worked with.
  • Whatever, other way around then.
  • "Randolph left 4 days after Hart joined and 3 days after Sullivan had declared that Hart was the best keeper he'd ever worked with."

I'm puzzled as to what the work was that Sully refers to - definitely would not be on the training ground.
  • Unlike Sully to come out with a dumb statement! ;)
  • edited September 2020
    Hello here we are again
  • Dreadful result 5-2 to Bournemouth in friendly, Bournemouth who was sent down this year
    Incoherent at every level
  • 5-3 actually.
  • IronHerb said:

5-3 actually.

Apologies herbs
    Anderson scored ,, that makes it ok
    Thoughts
    What happened to ezsomking?
  • Hart must have been in the newspapers or magazines he sells
  • Not sure if we have such a waste of talent in one squad. Far from the worst though