West Ham v Gillingham (A) FA Cup 3rd Round (05.01.20-KO 18:16) Match Thread

Comments

• I don’t think you can judge Reid on his time before to today lukerz I can’t see him being a regular with us again
  • edited January 2020
    Ogbonna another who "didn’t train today”

Of Antonio Moyes said "I saw him on the grass today" which might explain the driving...
  • I think that Reid is one of those players who appears to have improved over the time he has been out injured.
  • IronHerb said:

I think that Reid is one of those players who appears to have improved over the time he has been out injured.

I always thought he was one of our best CB's?

Think his 10 years of service he deserves a bit better than that, personally.
  • Very good player lukerz that for me isn’t the issue I’m just saying imo I believe he’s finished as a regular match day player
  • Cuz1 said:

Very good player lukerz that for me isn’t the issue I’m just saying imo I believe he’s finished as a regular match day player

Possibly, which Moyes may be implying, hence why he wants to give him every chance of showing what he has left. :ok:
  • edited January 2020
    Gillingham unbeaten in 7; 1 defeat in last 12.

7 wins & a draw in their last 8 home games.

Won't be an easy one this.
  • Depends on attitude because ability wise Head to head should be a shoe in but we are West Ham any result possible
  • edited January 2020
    IronHerb said:

I think that Reid is one of those players who appears to have improved over the time he has been out injured.

I was too young to appreciate Rio with us, so Reid is the best CB we’ve had in my time as a proper West Ham fan
  • Interesting to hear the Gillingham manager saying he was at the Leicester game and came away thinking that they were in with a very good shout after our performance. However now Moyes has taken over he believes it will be very tough for them as Moyes will take the cup seriously.
  • I would probably make you right Alderz, In my time the best I have seen were Rio, Slaven Billic, Alvin Martin and then Reid, probably in that order. Upson could be really good but didn't quite have the quality of those others mentioned.
  • edited January 2020
    I think a lot of people will be surprised with Gillingham. Their two forwards are a right handful and bazza (not our bazza) will be attacking down the right hard. Expect our left back to be targeted hard.
  • So it sounds like no Noble, Cresswell or Antonio

Fab
    Johnson Diop Ogbonna Masuaku
    Snodgrass Rice Sanchez Lanzini
    Anderson
    Haller

Gotta strike balance between rotation, youth and strength

Diop, Fornals and Frederick's could use a rest
    Lanzini & Masuaku need minutes
    Johnson is good enough now to fill in
    Sanchez we dont really have much chance with
  • I think a lot of people will be surprised with Gillingham. Their two forwards are a right handful and bazza (not our bazza) will be attacking down the right hard. Expect our left back to be targeted hard.

Foiled again! I would've given a penalty away and scored an own goal before they decided to take me off :whome:
  • The fact that Sanchez is anywhere near the starting eleven is proof that we have nowhere near the squad depth required to challenge for anything other than survival.

The club gambled on Wilshere staying fit and given his (and our) history that was naive at best, and downright careless at worst.

Hopefully the rumours of bringing in a couple of CMs this month is true, but for this game I'd seriously consider playing Coventry if Noble isn't going to make it. Ok, there's a risk that he'll struggle, but we know for a fact that Sanchez almost certainly will.
  • edited January 2020
    Plus, Wilshere is more a number 10 anyway, than a CM. So even his signing was pretty pointless in terms of positionally.

Rice, Noble, Sanchez to last us all season.

Having said that, I have a hope that Fornals could be converted to that CM role. Might be worth experimenting with him there this weekend.
  • I'd like us to field a strong team but would be keen to see Coventry play. He looks decent.
  • Are there likely to be any streams for this?
  • Well it is on BTSports so should be.
  • edited January 2020
    Noble & Cresswell haven’t travelled.

Four CB’s included, possibly indicating a back 3 experiment? Not sure why you’d have 2 CB’s on the bench otherwise.

Fab touch & go; Roberto will start if necessary (the worst game for him, given how direct lower league sides are).

Fabianski
    Balbuena - Reid - Diop
    Fredericks - Rice - Snodgrass - Masuaku
    Anderson - Lanzini
    Ajeti

Roberto, Ogbonna, Zabaleta, Sanchez, Coventry, Fornals, Haller
  • Other than that we don't know how Reid will play Lukerz's team is interesting. Ajeti does not seem a target man, so if he plays we have to keep the ball on the ground and with Anderson and Lanzini supporting him it could be tasty. My fear is he rests Rice as well and we end up with the footballing phenomenon that is Sanchez instead.
  • Sanchez and phenomenon is so wrong on all levels :lol:
  • We keep getting caught out in these games because the other team wants it more and runs more and works harder.

Don't let that happen today, Moyesiah. Match them in those areas and our talent will win through.

COYI
  • edited January 2020
    From Ex on Twitter:

The team is still waiting confirmation. I will confirm later. Early indications suggest there could be a change in formation and 3 changes of players but that was dependent on tests.

Ex also hinted that none of the younger players will start but they may still be used as substitutes.
  • edited January 2020
    It will be three at the back, obvs by the fact he included four CB's in the squad
  • I don’t like the sound of ‘change in formation’.
  • I don’t like the sound of ‘change in formation’.

I don't mind tbh, Moyes played 3 CBs when he was here before so I wouldn't be surprised for us to use that formation at times in the remaining league fixtures, so, as long as we don't make too many changes of players, then this may be a decent fixture to try a back 3.
  • Ok :ok:

I’m just not a fan of change, generally.
  • edited January 2020
    Fabianski, Fredericks, Ogbonna, Diop, Balbuena, Masuaku, Rice, Snodgrass, Lanzini, Anderson, Haller
This discussion has been closed.