Carabao Cup Thread - H draw v Spurs in next round Weds 31 Oct

Comments

• Time to give big Sam a call then pronto
  • Got a feeling our mentality is changing, I’m liking this.....
  • It's just occurred to me that Conor Coventry was the first player born this century to play for West Ham. 25th March 2000.
  • To be honest, Pellegrini had me when he said "I've been doing this job for 35 years, I know what I am doing." It seems he does.
  • The 21st Century didn't start until 1st January 2001.
  • alderz said:

It's just occurred to me that Conor Coventry was the first player born this century in the year 2000 to play for West Ham. 25th March 2000.

• edited September 2018
    ASLEF

That's a fairly niche viewpoint.

Most accept the millennium, and hence beginning of the century, happened at the start of 2000.

Stephen Jay Gould had an interesting look at this in his book Questioning the Millennium.
  • Yeah it’s a weird one. I like to think of the 20th century as being the same as the 1900’s. So, 01/01/1900 is part of the 1900’s, and so part of the 20th century.

But googling it, it does seem that isn’t necessarily the case.

The logic I use is a minute (a way of measuring how long something lasts) starts at 0 seconds. So, why wouldn’t this century start at 01/01/2000?
  • edited September 2018
    In the book I mentioned, Gould references his autistic son, who can instantly calculate the day of the week for any given date.

When asked about the millennium starting in 2000 or 2001, he opted for 2000 and explained it by saying the first century only had 99 years.

(The subtitle of the book is 'A Rationalist's Guide to a Precisely Arbitrary Countdown')
  • Home to Spurs in Round 4.

Another 8-0 on the horizon.
  • Glad we are home but could have done without spurs.play like we did today no problem
  • edited September 2018
    Would rather have beaten them in the final but I'll take it!
  • 'Big 4' avoid each other yet again. A complete fix.
  • already getting the spuds i know giving it the 'your cup final' stuff, i just say just think when you buy a ticket you are paying twice and at least we have a stadium
  • Spurs have got PSV away the Wednesday before with the return fixture on 6/11/18. They were supposed to be playing Manchester City on the Monday night October 29 so that will be moved but it's still going to be a hard game whenever over that weekend it's played. ;wink
  • edited September 2018
    Fantastic draw, lets be having em. Spuds twice at the LS in a couple of weeks whats not to like. Play like we did yesterday "thinking like a big club" and playing "delightful" football and there's nothing to worry about.
  • In the book I mentioned, Gould references his autistic son, who can instantly calculate the day of the week for any given date.

When asked about the millennium starting in 2000 or 2001, he opted for 2000 and explained it by saying the first century only had 99 years.

(The subtitle of the book is 'A Rationalist's Guide to a Precisely Arbitrary Countdown')

The Oxford English Dictionary defines a century as "A period of one hundred years" not "A period of one hundred years apart from the 1st century which only had 99".

If we accept that the 1st Century started on 1 January 1AD and if you add 2000 years you get 1 January 2001 not 2000.
  • But don’t thing start at zero so it would be 1 jan year zero
  • 'Big 4' avoid each other yet again. A complete fix.

If it were fixed then why draw Chelsea against Liverpool in the last round? And why draw Burton against Forest in this round?
  • Course it’s not fixed......

But how the heck do AFC keep getting home draws against lower opp
  • Spurs are on SKY on Monday 29th October and Saturday 3rd November so they will need to play us on Wednesday 31st October or Thursday 1st November.
    We should hold out for the Wednesday.
  • Carabao cup games are only played Tuesday or Wednesday, so it’ll be the Wednesday night. It’s weird Spurs are playing Monday night though, as they never have Monday night games in cup weeks (that I can recall).
  • edited September 2018
    Spurs are playing on Monday as they can't use Wembley due to a NFL game that weekend.

The problems caused when you don't have your own stadium eh! ;biggrin
  • Yep, that owning malarkey isn’t all it’s cracked up to be!
  • Spurs at home eh?

659F90D2-110B-4760-B97F-D93D13CF4BBB

The cow jumped over the moon
    And dish ran away with the spoon
  • We will bash them, bash them good and proper ;deadhorse
  • With a practice bashing the week before.
    You can't get enough of a good thing ;wink
  • Confirmed, it's Wednesday. 31 October, 7.45pm. No TV coverage.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018/october/04-october/spurs-carabao-cup-date-confirmed-tickets-just-tenner

Let's hope Spurs have a Halloween Shocker!
  • Spurs v West Ham. No TV coverage?

Whyever not? ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.