Arsenal away 25th Aug, the battle at the bottom, can we keep it below 5?

Comments

• Arsenal crisis is over then
  • I'll be charitable towards Diop as it's his first game and he's young but he needs Tim improve very quickly. About £20m overpriced on today's evidence.
  • edited August 2018
    We gave away the ball way too easy during that game.
    Wasn’t that impressed with Diop, Sanchez or Wilshere. On that performance Wilshere didn’t offer anything that Noble couldn’t.
    Defence, especially on the left, looked very suspect. Don’t see how we’re going to keep a clean sheet all season.
    There were some positives especially in the first half. Fabianski made some good stops. Andersen made some goods runs. I like Feredericks.
    Also on the bright side, we didn’t have Tony Gale on commentary!
  • I think realistically we are going to have to write this season off and will only see the fruits of Pelle’s brand of football (in terms of league standing) next season
  • edited August 2018
    Positives: can't remember the last time we created so many chances (and wasted them); we didn't look as lost as we have in previous games; Sanchez might do a job; thought Fredericks was good and I think Anderson is going to create a lot of chances this season.

But even though we were more solid in general, there are so many mistakes in that back four. I think the idea that Reid's time with us is almost up, falls down with every game.
  • The problem is Reid can't stop falling down.
  • Much much better. Sanchez has a great engine, and can pick a pass. Anderson has figured out he can run with the ball direct. Antonio getting back to his best. Diop has great pace. A few tweaks, and we have a very good team. 3 in midfield is much better. Looking forward the next game.
  • edited August 2018
    ;ok
  • Too many players ambling around though. Perez, Yarmolenko etc. They’d only been on 5 mins. Just worry we have too many ‘luxury’ players.
  • Cresswell in for Masuaku next game and keep that backline the same for the next 5-10 games.
  • When was the last time we went toe to toe with Arsenal? If we put in performances like that, we’ll pick up points. We may lose our next 4 games but I still won’t be worried as long as we show promise and improvement.
  • I thought both teams looked very poor defensively and were lucky to be playing each other as many teams would have put another couple past both those defences today. I think we look disjointed as is reasonable with so many new faces, we must however keep up with those above us and will need to pick up points soon.
  • If we play like we did today next up then wolves will definitely score. So we’ll need to hope we score a few ourselves as there’s little sign of a clean sheet for us any time soon
  • I still think Ogbonna is currently a more reliable defender than Diop. Don't think he deserved to be dropped. Were he in the side, we could hope of getting something out of this game.
  • He wasn’t even in the squad - was he injured? ;hmm
  • While i get that itll take time I do think its natural to feel a little downbeat

Think pellegrini is stil lconfused what his hest XI is as very few have impressed

Hope he sorts it soon as we need points on the board early to ensure fan & player morale doesnt turn toxic like last year
  • Was not able to watch the game, by all accounts I take it that we showed some improvement over our previous two outings.

Let’s hope we can build on this and gather some positive momentum.
  • Much much better, especially in the first half. Anderson looks much better central than out wide, Antonio seemed stronger and fitter but not sharp enough shooting, Fredericks is promising and the defense in general looked OK, which is an improvement on looking rubbish. Diop could be useful after a few matches. But subs not very promising at all, which will be problem in future.
  • Brighton less talented on paper more belief which is our downfall currently when you look at teams around us
  • We're fine. Some good performances and a lot to be encouraged about.
    Entertaining game and a good day out. We didn't win, probably should have, but played some good stuff.
    COYI
  • I didn't watch the match (got bigger issues on my plate atm ;weep ) but I don't think that Liverpool and Arsenal are the Teams we should be measuring our Season against. They are the teams that would (usually rightly) expect to defeat us and today it sounded like we were doing alright. Own Goals are Always hard to take but hey - we won't be scoring those regularly and Arnie now has 2 goals in 3 this season.
  • edited August 2018
    It was much better and you could see some of the changes coming through. The way we opened Arsenal up was very different to how we have created chances in the last few years. We were composed and inventive and with better composure would have scored at least 3. That was the main disappointment for me. We were much better than our first two games but that game was there to claim 3 points, or a minimum of 1, yet we ended with what looks a comfortable defeat. Anderson needs to stay central where he can constantly impact the game. He was much better. I didn’t think there were many negatives. Diop was always going to make mistakes given his age. Shame we couldn’t take something as that wasn’t a great Arsenal team. Oh well. Hopefully Arnie is not too serious. If he is out vs Wolves I would stick Anderson up top.
  • I wanted to see improvement and I did Wolves is massive we really need a win
  • I know 3 games aren't enough to judge fairly... but my first impressions of the new boys are
    Fab buy - Fabianski
    Improving, could be very good - Anderson, Fredericks, Sanchez
    Steady but not the next level - Snodders, Balbuena
    Needs more time (loan candidate) - Diop
    Disappointing - Lucas, Yarmolenko
    Predictably disappointing -Wilshere
    Who have I missed?
    Another thing ...
    I never understand why we keep selling our CBs and replacing them with expensive imports who are either no better, or worse. In the last few years, I would rank them
    Reid (when fit) > Tomkins > Collins > Kouyate, Ogbonna > Burke, Rice, possibly Oxford > Balbuena > Diop.
    ;angry
  • I’d like to point out that, according. To what a lot of people have been saying for years, Pellegrini has already achieved our main goal. This is a West Ham team that you want to watch!
  • If we keep losing leads the RSPCA will come calling to make sure we don’t own any dogs
  • My dad said could be worse you could be a spurs fan, so COYI
  • Kuching

I’ll never understand why we let Tomkins go
  • At the time, Tomkins wasn't first choice in the CB pairing, and he wanted to play more games. It was his decision to go.
  • I’d like to point out that, according. To what a lot of people have been saying for years, Pellegrini has already achieved our main goal. This is a West Ham team that you want to watch!

It would just be nice to watch them win though
This discussion has been closed.