West Ham vs Southampton (H) Match Thread 31.03.18

Comments

• edited March 2018
    Mark Hughes is supposed to have said to Arnie that he was making a sideways move by coming to West Ham from Stoke.

Just think how many we would have scored if our main striker had played. ;whistle
  • It was directed at Hughes. I think Moyes had a word with him at half time as they walked off.
  • Just home from game best first half performance of the season and a controlled second half the atmosphere was good the football was good the result was good.overall a very happy Easter bunny
  • I've just got back to Madrid & I've just seen the score.I'm delighted & I reckon a win against Stoke will just about do it. COYI.
  • edited March 2018
    Arnie did the crossed hammers at Hughes after his first goal ;lol
  • I've just got back to Madrid & I've just seen the score.I'm delighted & I reckon a win against Stoke will just about do it. COYI.

I recko a draw at Stoke should do it. We are now 5 points clear and Stoke's / Southampton's next games are all but easy.

@admis - please correct any errors, I am fairly plastered atm
  • just got home to add my own personal happy happy joy joy
  • I'm miles away again, but looking forward to watching the recording ;biggrin Read the BBC report on the game, then the public comments....the tone of many was on a level with the coin-throwers club. They really hate West Ham, and the news coverage seems to have left the impression that WHU are robbing the poor (stg60,000 for security); have tricked the taxpayers (Stadium deal); and have fans who are mentally challenged and have prison records (see film of Burnley match protests.) A guy called Frenchie simply posted anti-Hammers fans jokes (many ex-Essex girls and Scouser jokes.) Of the football, there was very little. We really need to improve our image...
  • Fantastic display. Didn’t see it coming. Thought everybody was excellent.

Mention to Fernandes. I have always been unimpressed by him, but thought he was fantastic. Given his injury lay-off and coming on so early and being ready to go, thought he was very good.
  • edited April 2018
    I said earlier that with Arthur back we would be a different team. I doubt it a lot that we would be in this situation had he not been banned for 6 matches.

Oh, and for all those people who slagged the players off for allegedly having fun at the beach in the US. It seems to have worked I would say.
  • I don’t think MOTD came even close to recognising just how good a goal our third was - incredible technical ability and the ball over the top was sublime too. Had it been Salah, Hazard, Sane, etc etc they’d have been euligising about it for weeks. And had Cresser’s one gone in it would have been a goal of the season contender
  • edited April 2018
    The 3rd goal was exceptional and quite how Masuaku managed to get the ball in like he did on that angle...

It was very Beckham or Gerrard like.
  • Probably the biggest weakness of Arthurs is his delivery,but sometimes he does just pick out a beauty

So many fantastic performances across the board yesterday

Like Luke said big shout out to Fernandes, I actually rate him quite highly and believe in his potential but he was a man possessed yesterday

Also props to Kouyate, who i have critisised a good few times this season, ans Mario who had his best game for us since he joined

I know the saints didnt offer much but i cant get enough of Rice. I dont like jumping the gun but hes absolutely fantastic and only 19, the sky is his limit and these injuries to Reid/Collins will gove him some much needed minutes
  • Rice & Ogbonna should be our go ahead CB Pairing.
  • ;ok IH. I thought Rice showed great maturity yesterday, his spell for his national team has done him the world of good.
  • If my calculations are correct (they are I just checked) yesterday was Mark Noble's 428th West Ham appearance, bringing him level with John Bond as the 15th highest appearance maker in the history of the club.

Realistically, he can probably make it to 11th by the end of next season if he stays in the side (I hope he does)

10th: Jim Barrett 467
    11th: Ken Brown 455
    12th: Alan Devonshire 446
    13th: Phil Parkes 436
    14th: Ray Stewart 431
    15th: Mark Noble & John Bond 428
  • Top stating there Ald ;bowdown
  • Thort zab played really well sort of player you need in these situations a experienced head at the back
  • edited April 2018
    Also thought Fernandes was great from word go of coming on.
    When Antonio got injured I thought not again,.like we needed any more injuries..but Fernandes impressed me immensely . His work rate and skill started the 3rd goal which was in our corner & ended in a fantastic cross from Arthur with Marko to cooly finish..
    There were so many great individual performances with no player failing to impress..
    If I had to pick a MOM I'd have to go for Marko, he makes the difference, but IMO it could have been 5/6 players who could have won it..
    A total ;footie 1st half display especially considering the importance on & off pitch b4 game..
    2nd half in control and no complaints.
    So nice to have a great weekend..
    Well done to all..
  • Thinking of Marky Mark, how many times did he get flattened yesterday? Must
    have been the most fouled player by a long chalk.
  • It was just like watching Eden Hazard ;whistle
  • btw, how nice was it to not have Charlie Austin score against us?
  • I understand Austin and Pearce had words when Austin was subbed. ;whistle
  • Good day out. Southampton were pathetic, probably the worst 90 min performance I've ever seen in the flesh, completely inept from the first to last minute. We, however, were right at it early on and kept our structure and belief well without ever getting complacent. Arnie was brilliant, Masukau makes a tremendous difference when he can get going and has some support, Ogbonna was excellent, Mario looked a lot better and Rice was impeccable throughout. Not out of the woods yet, and there will be much tougher games coming up, but there were signs of life and enough to suggest we can collect enough to stay up. MUST sign up Rice to a new long term deal ASAP, he is the future of this club.

P.S nice to see Cullen come on as well. ;thumbsup
  • I predict a name change ;wink
  • I predict a profile picture change
  • I predict a prediction
  • edited April 2018
    I (didn't) predict a riot (at the Burnley game) ;yercoat
  • Highlight of the match was Fernandes celebration after Arnie's first goal
  • Mark Hughes is supposed to have said to Arnie that he was making a sideways move by coming to West Ham from Stoke.

Just think how many we would have scored if our main striker had played. ;whistle

Mark Hughes........a great font of football knowledge (not) ;lol ;lol ;lol
This discussion has been closed.