Newcastle v West Ham Match Thread - Saturday 26th August - 15:00

Comments

• Hernandez can play up on his own. If we only play long balls then he shouldn't.

But by getting rid of Snodgrass and Feghouli (in addition to them not doing well), we are getting rid of our out and out wingers who mainly like to cross the ball.

With Antonio playing on the wing, it allows us to play the ball long to him if we need to, rather than Hernandez.

Also, imo, 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 are very similar. Most teams who play one of these formations, plays the other one at the same time. When you're defending it's 4-3-3; when you're attacking it's 4-2-3-1.
  • Little Pea was certainly the pick of the performances (honorable mention for Antonio) not only his goals.

He also played on the Left wing and put in a really good shift.

Excellent attitude which is what we hoped for when signing recognized players.

Lets hope Arnie decided to follow his lead.. Not only the fully deserved red card but his crosses and corners, please try to beat the first man...
  • Still think we should go back to the 4-4-2 diamond that Allardyce used.

Obiang holding, Lanzini at the tip, Antonio up top with Hernandez, Not sure who plays either side of the diamond though.
  • Yeold - Sam used Noble and Kouyate with the fullbacks overlapping to provide the width.

• Reid is apparently out of the Newcastle game (https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/winston-reid-injury-adds-to-west-ham-defensive-woes-amid-transfer-search-a3616646.html). We need a leader at the back and that calls for Collins. He wasn't in the squad against Southampton. Hope he is not crocked.
  • I think that's a role that Kouyate, Antonio, Nobes and Fernandes can play. I would rather have Sakho or Carroll up front with Hernandez (not been convinced by Antonio as a striker of any kind), but would always have Antonio in the team. Just not sure whether it makes sense to play that formation with Antonio plus two of the three strikers fit - would we be getting the most out of them?
  • Collins was training today.
  • If you wanted a diamond I think the only place in the diamond for Antonion would be the tip. Obiang holding, Kouyate and Lanzini on the sides, Antonio on top
  • But Antonio is a winger by trade so he goes wide with Lanzini at the top.
  • The Mirror is reporting that West Ham are already looking for another manager
    due to the Hammers poor start to the season.
  • Hammerex said:

The Mirror is reporting that West Ham are already looking for another manager

I hope not. Bilic is our man.
  • Usual rubbish, we lost 5 of the first 6 games last season and Bilic is still here.
  • Hammerex said:

The Mirror is reporting that West Ham are already looking for another manager

I'd actually be disappointed if they weren't looking. As chairmen, it is their responsibility to be aware of future possibilities and plan for them.

Let's say we're bottom by November/December. I'd expect the Daves to have already looked at potential new managers and seriously consider Bilic's position.

Now, this is not to say I don't think the Mirror have made up the story.
  • edited August 2017
    It seems like Bilic survived by the Skin of his teeth last season if you believe reports. So I don't think he has too much credit in the locker with the Daves.

I think Benitze may be on the market soon as Mr Ashley is not backing him in the market and we know he was our first choice before Bilic.

Just speculating of course, not saying he should go after 2 games...
  • I do not want to swap Bilic for Benitze.

Benitze was offered the job before Bilic got it but turned us down.

I don't like Benitze and think he is all about the short term, chuck huge amounts of money at it and sulk if he doesn't get said huge amounts of money. Then sulk a bit more.

The only manager I would want instead of Bilic is Carlo Ancelotti.

• Should Fonte play? I think in about the 18 games that he played we have only won about four times (I am sure someone more tech savvy can check this). The Southampton game exposed his lack of pace and positional sense. How long can he be carried?
  • edited August 2017
    If they are looking to replace Slaven lets hope they make a better job of it than they did replacing Avram with Martin O'Neill.

I don't believe they are, its the same as last season, speculation by the press.
  • IronHerb said:

But Antonio is a winger by trade so he goes wide with Lanzini at the top.

But the sides of the diamond aren't wide positions, they are central midfielders
  • What I want to know is will Andy Carroll be up front for the Magpies? ;whistle
  • Yes, all senior competitive games count towards the ban.

;ok
  • edited August 2017
    I would now go:

Hart
    Zabaleta - Collins - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Antonio - Noble - Rice - Obiang - Ayew
    Chicharito
  • Hopefully Lanzini is back for this, in for Ayew. Possibly Kouyate in for Rice, too.
  • Rice and Collins have to play... imo.
  • edited August 2017
    Heard the commentator say he reminded him of Eric Dier. Now I know it's lazy to say 'the next so and so' but I thought the similarities were frightening. If he plays it means when under pressure he can drop into the back four to make a five as well. Think he needs minutes going forward. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one for saying 'just play kids' but this kid looks like he knows it's his time.
  • Wasn't the Ginge/Ogbonna partnership one of our most solid ones in terms of clean sheets kept during Slav's first season?
  • When I met Lanzini on Monday I asked if he would play at Cheltenham and he said "no, Newcastle"
  • edited August 2017
    Lukerz - yes

Ogbonna Collins partnership 2015-16 in the Prem
    Played 10 Won 5 Drew 4 Lost 1 Goals conceded 7 Clean sheets 6

Other combinations
    Played 28 Won 11 Drew 10 Lost 7 Goals conceded 44 Clean Sheets 5
  • Who were we playing in those 10 games, ASLEF?
  • Lukerz said:

Heard the commentator say he reminded him of Eric Dier. Now I know it's lazy to say 'the next so and so' but I thought the similarities were frightening. If he plays it means when under pressure he can drop into the back four to make a five as well. Think he needs minutes going forward. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one for saying 'just play kids' but this kid looks like he knows it's his time.

I thought the commentator was poor. When he had nothing to say he still insisted on saying something...
This discussion has been closed.