West Brom (H) 11/02 - 15.00 k/o

Comments

• just watched it again and most of the decisions were correct and yes they did take the throw in too far up but even then our defending for the corner was dreadful. We had about 8 players in there and nobody really got off the ground. Randolph was too busy watching and pushing his own man. There was no way he could have got to the ball anyway and had he stayed on his line he would have saved the header.

• Take a look at the above, this was the worst decision of the lot. Antonio got pelters at the time on social media for an air shot, now we can see why.

While watching the game it appears we're on the end of a lot of bad decisions when you break them all down then Oliver hasn't got that much wrong.

The Antonio offside/foul was probably right but he should've given a foul on Fegs in the build up to their goal, it was their throw as well that led to the corner.

That non penalty decision was clearly the worst for me.

Decent enough performance pullis brings on a defender in the 52nd minute and hold out, tells you all you need to know about their mentality, overall play they didn't deserve a thing, we bring on Ginge to shore it up at the end and we don't do it.

Decent enough point and plenty of positives

;ok
  • Thorn

When I watching the game in real time, my first reaction on their second goal was simply, what on earth was Randy doing, he totally misjudged the flight of the ball and committed himself when there was no chance to get anywhere near it.

It was unfortunate as we had dominated the second half and looked really solid, but I think that Randy has to hold his hand up for that one.

COYI
  • I'm more than happy with my indignation and will continue to chunter about the game for the rest of the season and beyond.

• In spite of any minor grievances, in general we played superbly yesterday. Hopefully the boys get some good warm weather training, some good rest, and push on for the rest of the season: things look positive. COYI
  • I just can't for the life of me see why that first goal was disallowed.

The lino flagged for offside.

It wasn't offside.
  • Antionio did put hands on Foster but had it been the other way around would we have got a penalty.

No.

• edited February 2017
    At the end of the day a point and a good second half performance is still good overall imo. We could have got 3 but at least for 45 minutes we had a performance where we were totally on top. That hasn't happened in a while.
  • The Antonio goal is offside and a foul. So no injustice there.
  • No, but so much confusion about why the officials disallowed it doesn't inspire much confidence.

Did they think Feghouli was offside?

Dd they think Antonio was offside and interfering with play?

Was it a foul by Antonio?

Or where they making it up as they went along?

• D) making it up as they went along...
  • Mrs G, please tell, please tell, the suspense is killing me. ;biggrin
  • D) making it up as they went along...

Final answer Chris.

• I think that they said it was offside because Antonio was offside. When Slav complained that Feghouli wasn't offside, they said that it was for a foul (he said).

I think that there is a misunderstanding there, where they meant that Antonio touching the keeper (not fouling) meant he was interfering with play.

I really don't think we can complain about that.

For me, the poor decisions were the foul on Feghouli and the foul on Antonio.
  • On motd they said he was offside but drew a line from the keeper not the player on the floor not sure if there is some rule involving keepers and offside.?
  • I get the logic of it Ald, I do. It's just that the decision 'looks' wrong.
  • Suz ;ok

I think it seems more wrong because Slav didn't seem to know why it was disallowed
  • Yeold there has to be two players between you and the goal and usually one of them is the keeper but doesn't have to be. I think Antonio was trying to make sure he was at least level with Foster but out his hands on him to get past hence what I think was called as the foul.
  • Yeold - the offside rule is that there must be two defending players between a player and the goal, one of those is usually the goalie but not always.

Just watched MotD, I think alderz is spot on, when Feghouli touched the ball Antonio was judged to be behind the keeper so only one player - the Baggie on the floor - between him and the goal. Had Antonio not touched the keeper it would have been a goal, by doing so he became "involved".

Seems it was Assistant Manager Nikola Jurcevic not First Team Coach Edin Terzic who got sent off.
  • I still think it was given for a foul as the linesman kept his flag aloft and did not point across the pitch to where an offside had occurred which is the norm. Trouble is we need to see a replay from the opposite side of the pitch to determine the exact moment the flag went up ie was it when Fegouli shot or when Antonio put his hands on Foster.
  • Debating foul or offside is splitting hairs, IMO.

M30A is definitely offside, definitely interfering with play, and arguably it is a foul on the keeper - there's a clear push on him and we know goalkeepers are overprotected.

If he flagged for offside then it is a correct decision to disallow it. If he flagged for a foul then it isn't one you can grumble too much about, although that would make it slightly less clear cut.

Either way, it was disallowed, and that is the right outcome in the scenario.
  • Alderz I agree either way it was the correct decision but it would be nice to have the confusion cleared up.
  • For me, there looked like uncertainty and indecision about what they were doing, and I don't think officials should be guessing what has gone on.

I'm not really interested in whether it turned out to be right in the end; we don't currently have TMO reviews.

We will probably never know what they actually based their decision on.
  • alderz said:

Suz ;ok

I think it seems more wrong because Slav didn't seem to know why it was disallowed

Yeah, at the time in the ground we knew the lino had flagged for off side. Then we got a text from #2niece who was watching the game to say it wasn't offside. So despite all evidence I can't remove those 2 things from my brain.
  • Has anyone seen a replay of the Calleri's penalty claim? It wasnt on MOTD and therefore I am assuming it wasn't important but from where I was standing it seemed he may have got clipped. Anyone?
  • he should have been clipped at least then we wouldn't have to pick him ;pray
  • I've only seen one angle of the feghouli disallowed goal, and I believe Antonio is onside, though another angle will be needed to show it, If he is onside, then the goal should've stood because Antonio's interference with foster was minimal, but if he is offside then its clearly enough to affect the keeper.
  • twc

he was behind the keeper, with one defender laying on the floor between him and the goal. He's definitely offside
  • I'd say the disallowed goal was about right, I'm still fuming about the penalty not given for Antonio's air shot where he was put in a headlock by their keeper!
  • TWC

Any interference with the goalie, when in an offside position, counts as more than minimal imo.
This discussion has been closed.