Is it time for the agree and CMU buttons to go?

Comments

• Buttons to stay for me for the reasons already mentioned and if mods deem it need be to do something if things are personal...then that is their power to do so..
    It's tricky, I know where this has all come from...
    I also think that if posters who want more of a debate rather than just making a comment should be prepared to take the good and bad comments ( or relevant buttons pressed ) & when responding to another persons post not try to come across as they just can't believe or get your side of opinion, it might just make a point that their view is not as popular as they feel it is...

;ok
  • Only one way to find out... Fiiiight between my funny and non funny personas!!
  • 1 thing i would like is to be able to delete threads that i have no interest in and know i will never. Vice versa i always wanna know transfer stuff. It must be the OCD in me wanting to have things neat.
  • I actually have CDO. It's like OCD but in the right order as it should be.
  • Announcements can be 'dismissed'

so could that apply to norma threads?
  • And whilst we're at it

I know we have a selction of emoji's to choose from

but is there any way that the full emoji dictionary could used?
  • But all in all good job and thank you ;bowdown
  • I like grey's idea of seeing the identities of who agrees and disagrees. It is faster -and tidier- to click "I agree" rather than clutter the timeline with your agreement. However, I confess that sometimes I agree with something someone writes, but I don't click that "I agree".

I feel that this forum is a place where, if I have something I think people might want read, I can add it without worrying about who is or isn't "on my side".
  • Can we add a button that brings me a club sandwich?
  • You mean you haven't got that one on your account? I thought it was standard?

Between the "agree" and "cheered me up" is one that you can select a whole range of sandwiches to be delivered. (free of course)
  • edited January 2017
    why don't we just keep CMUs - all the better to define comedy with
  • edited January 2017
    I could make you a sandwich but it would be stale by the time it got there, not to mention we're not allowed to ship meats international unless you have a license.
  • I quite like the idea of the buttons showing who agreed.

So people still have the option (which seems to be valued) of registering their view very quickly, while I think it could also limit the potential for bullying, and make it easier for the mods to tackle it if it does occur.

Win-win ;ok
  • winner winner ;nolan dinner
  • I get that some people may see this as a non-issue, but I think when we get to a point where a user feels they no longer want to take part in the site as a result of them, the least we need to do is raise the issue.
  • Swissiron said:

why don't we just keep CMUs - all the better to define comedy with

Like a laugh track in a sitcom?
  • edited January 2017
    These buttons have got loss written all over them
  • MrsGrey said:

I quite like the idea of the buttons showing who agreed.

I think this is an improvement, in light of the issues that have been raised. I'm guessing it will be a hover over the e.g. '2 agrees' situation, which then shows who they are.
  • What about an 'Unsure/ Sitting on the fence' button? ;wink ;biggrin
  • Showing who agreed would definitely help, I think, and is quite common on other forums.

But I as I mentioned on the other thread, I genuinely think there's a lot all could do to soften the tone of their posts, while we could also all do with giving people the benfit of the doubt in the way we read the posts and interpret those tones. I don't think the buttons are a big deal.
  • edited January 2017
    MrsGrey said:

I quite like the idea of the buttons showing who agreed.

So people still have the option (which seems to be valued) of registering their view very quickly, while I think it could also limit the potential for bullying, and make it easier for the mods to tackle it if it does occur.

Win-win ;ok

yeah sounds good, can we also have it so it shows up for buttons pushed in the last week?

;hmm

#AngryBear

;biggrin
  • I think they should stay. I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but I will, I just wanted to say that in the past, I have posted something and then wished I hadn't because someone had questioned it. It wasn't until much later that I realised and accepted, that this is a fans forum and every post has the right to be questioned by any of the members if they think I have overstepped the mark, if they think I am in the wrong, or if they don't agree with me.
  • Outcast

I agree with that.

I think to that end it would help if users weighed in (kindly and politely) if they think someone may have overstepped the mark without necessarily breaking any obvious rule.

Even politely asking 'Did you mean to come across that strong' or similar might help.

We are very lucky with the users we have here, but I still feel that many people think 'leave that to the mods' (of which there are precious few) rather than taking 'ownership' (if you'll pardon the phrase) and acting themselves.
  • Slizzy

If only!

There is no record kept atm of who pushes what button.

I'll put the new one up tomorrow, and let people give it a test run.

My only concern would be if it had an impact on page load speeds, as otherwise it is effectively just the same, without the anonymity, and I don't think anyone can make a good case for keeping those reactions anonymous.
  • I like the idea too, I have often rather wanted the person I agreed with or who made me laugh to know that I did but couldn't apart from a separate post saying so, so actually this move might reduce such unnecessary posts overall...Just a thought...
  • Just reading through this thread. I've been avoiding posting too much lately as the site has seemed a little more confrontational in recent months, not just the last week. I've posted a little, just not as much as I used to. Shame really. Although the button tallies hadn't really crossed my mind as a cause or demonstration of that.

I think keeping the buttons and showing who's pressed them is the best solution.
  • Eskimo, you've managed to express exactly what I wanted to write. I might even press "Agree", and you'll never know ;-)
  • I try to help sometimes ;biggrin
  • Personally, I have found the problem to be that eski hasn't posted enough, and also that LGH & Jussi_Finlands_Best never came back
  • Completely agree alderz